Most important historical even

Discussion in 'History' started by fedr808, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Cortex_Colossum Banned Banned

The discovery of land.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mathman Valued Senior Member

A united South America seems unlikely based on the history. Bolivar tried to set up a united country consisting of Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Colombia, and Venezuela. Parochial interests doomed his vision. A similar attempt to have a united Central America also failed for the same reason.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Sawklwrd Banned Banned

This is older than 1000 years ago, but the most important historical events would be the astronomical catastrophes such as the birth of Venus and the reversal of the Earth's retrograde rotation: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=92936

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The formation of our universe.

8. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Atomic bombs were an invention, but their usage at the end of WWII was a significant historial event, and the Cold War that evolved between the two nuclear powers was a significant historial event. Your distinction between “inventions” and “events” seems artificial to me. This is such a subjective and argumentative exercise that it’s impossible to govern it by a logical set of rules.

9. EmeraldAxe Registered Senior Member

Agriculture 10,000 years ago. I know it breaks the rules, but it's the key to civilization.

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

If stepping back to see the "big picture" and concerned with the consequences then I think a case can be made for "Woman's liberation" & sex with near zero conception probability.

Already EU is not making replacement populations; at the present fertility levels, Russia will have only half its current population in less than 100 years as I recall. As the bible says: "The meek (poor & ill-educated) shall inherit the Earth." It does not get more important than that.

11. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Mmmkay...then what to do with the "Breeders" Indians, Africans, 3rd world...

12. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

What EU is already doing- import the brighter, better educated ones. They will replace themselves in the next generation as their cultural imperative is to have larger families, but their children will not. - They will have the European culture, not that of the "old country." So this may work for 1000 years or so, but those left in the "old country" are subjected to negative selection for intelligence, motivation to acquires skills, and worsening economic educational problems, I would guess do to this "brain drain."

As the Bible says: "The meek will inherit the Earth." But it may take 1000 years, and probably then it will not be worth inheriting. :shrug: :bawl: The poor are always screwed.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Why should that change?

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

They will inherit the earth, because the rest will be sick of having to be around them and leave. When the technology is there.

14. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

humans making one-way trips into space may be possible in less than 100 years, but probably a little longer I would bet. However, there is no need to take any males along, frozen sperm is much lighter.
    Then you will learn the true, hidden meaning, of "Women's liberation."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:bawl:

15. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I can't decide between these two:

1) The American Revolution: Aside from creating America, which would eventually become THE global superpower with a great deal of influence on the modern world, it also changed how Western Civilization viewed government. It was only a little more than a century after the Founding Fathers created America that democracies/republics became the standard form of government for Europe.

2) World War II: This conflict resulted in America becoming a global super power, the Cold War and the eventual death of communism in Europe, the creation of Israel (which resulted in a lot of issues in the Middle East), the UN...

16. jmpet Valued Senior Member

The Industrial Revolution, which fathered the computer age.

17. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

The Event: The United States Declaration of Independence,
    Category: Set of Human Principles.
    When?: 4th of July, 1776.
    How?: There are tons of information in details. My opinion is, various type of new elements (geographical, politic, philosophy, production and technology) in human civilization were invoked by some clever people.
    Why?: Basically to declare the independence. In detail, to give an understanding for the people about the pillars of a new type of society, a new human project: Individual Citizens' Secular Nation.
    Effects?: Initial effect was the French Revolution. But core impact was, and still is, the establishment of rational and valuable human mind as the source of authority, justification, sovereignty -and life in general- above Natural and Divine rules. Today almost all countries and societies are trying to re-organise themselves according to similar principles.
    Who benefited/who did't? Those who were expecting some benefit from non-human powers certainly didn't get anything. The rest of humanity still benefit.
    Good or Bad? My personal opinion... It was monumental and it was "real". But good or bad? They belong to world of imagination.

I followed a certain criteria to make above suggestion: If nearly every bit of last 500 years have made a dramatic impact to human existence not only in this planet, but probably for the future of human universe, this event should be somewhere in between geographical discoveries, printing press, the age of reason and industrial revolution. Before that era, the usual actors and scenes (agricultural kingdoms and empires, settled religion, and dismantled body exhibitions) had no impact on today. Actually, last 500 years have become the cleaning process of the dark social heritage of previous 10 000 years, with the cost of environmental disasters alongside the "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" a.k.a. "individual self satisfaction".

We need a similar type of definitive new boost to human sprit. Not necessarily politic or social; it could be even "moralic-technologic" if you like. I don't mind...

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  18. River Ape Valued Senior Member

You yanks are so myopic!
    For two or three generations, a nation in the Minor (or Western) Hemisphere temporarily becomes "top dog" before it breaks up (Southwestern states become part of Aztlan) and China takes over top spot.
    Nothing solely specific to the US is likely to be regarded as a big deal in the long run.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  19. baftan ******* Valued Senior Member

Excuse me, I could be myopic(?), but I am not a Yank, I have never been to America. In fact, I have never approved most of the American policies for decades. Personally I would not prefer to choose this event, believe me. It is like DNA tells us that we are part of ape family. Some people might favour other animals maybe, such as dolphins or cuter ones, but reality that we accept. There are facts, effects and other issues which are roughly stated in my post. Check out the world wide transformation after the declaration of independence. If you can display similar type of sysmic effect within the subject period I will appreciate.
    When you are accusing someone or something, you'd better be prepared with your argument. Screaming like "Yanks" or "myopic" doesn't make a constructive affect.

20. superstring01 Moderator

Printing Press.

~String

21. superstring01 Moderator

Yes, it's myopic for people to see the world differently than you. Considering that half the world's constitutions, the UN, were modeled after the American version. The nuclear age, computer age and the internet age were all spawned by and large from the USA also points to the importance of the USA in world history.

Doh!! Guess you'd be just a myopic too, then.

~String

22. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I'm not myopic. I'm just calling it like I see it.

While the American Revolution itself was specific to the US, there have been global consequences (both good and bad) and there will likely be more in the future.

I'd also like to mention that were it not for the thread rules (it can't be an invention and it has to have happened within the last 1000 years), I wouldn't have named the American Revolution as one of my choices.

23. River Ape Valued Senior Member

First experimental splitting of the atom: in England, by a New Zealander
    (Cambridge; 1919; Ernest Rutherford)
    First programmable computer: in England, designed by a Brit
    (Colossus Mark I, Bletchley Park; 1943; Tommy Flowers)
    Creation of the World Wide Web: in Switzerland, by a Brit
    (CERN, Geneva; 1989; Tim Berners-Lee)