The Reversal of Retrograde Rotation

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Sawklwrd, May 9, 2009.

1. Sawklwrd Banned Banned

Historical sources:

"Thus the whole period is eleven thousand three hundred and forty years; in all of which time (they said) they had had no king who was a god in human form, nor had there been any such either before or after those years among the rest of the kings of Egypt. Four times in this period (so they told me) the sun rose contrary to experience; twice he came up where he now goes down, and twice went down where he now comes up." -- Herodotos, historian, ~430 B.C.

"Then, it was then that Zeus changed the radiant paths of the stars, and the light of the sun, and the bright face of dawn; and the sun drove across the western back of the sky with hot flame from heaven's fires, while the rain-clouds went northward and Ammon's lands [Egypt] grew parched and faint, not knowing moisture, robbed of heaven's fairest showers of rain." --Euripides, playwright, Electra, 408 B.C.

"There did really happen, and will again happen, like many other events of which ancient tradition has preserved the record, the portent which is traditionally said to have occurred in the quarrel of Atreus and Thyestes. ... how the sun and the stars once rose in the west, and set in the east, and that the god reversed their motion, and gave them that which they now have as a testimony to the right of Atreus. " -- Plato, philosopher, The Statesman, 360 B.C.

"The sun set in the East." -- Apollodoros, Scholium on the Iliad: Book II, ~143 B.C.

"Soles fuerre quinque." [There were five suns] -- Lucius Ampelius, tutor, date unknown

"The nations of Culhua, or Mexico, says Gomara, who wrote about the middle of the sixteenth century, believe according to their hieroglyphical paintings, that, previous to the sun which now enlightens them, four had already been successively extinguished. These four suns are as many ages, in which our species has been annihilated by inundations, by earthquakes, by a general conflagration, and by the effect of destroying tempests." -- Alexander Von Humboldt, geologist, 1814

"That the sun will not rise to-morrow is no less intelligible a proposition, and implies no more contradiction, than the affirmation, that it will rise." -- David Hume, philosopher, 1772

And also in Biblical sources:

"And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed..." -- Joshua, 10:13

"Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day." -- Joshua 10:13

"Behold, I will bring again the shadow of the degrees, which is gone down in the sun dial of Ahaz, ten degrees backward. So the sun returned ten degrees, by which degrees it was gone down." -- Isaiah 38:8

"And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord God, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day:" -- Amos 8:9

"Therefore night shall be unto you, that ye shall not have a vision; and it shall be dark unto you, that ye shall not divine; and the sun shall go down over the prophets, and the day shall be dark over them. Then shall the seers be ashamed, and the diviners confounded: yea, they shall all cover their lips; for there is no answer of God." -- Micah 3:6-7

Question: What evidence do we have that there has been no change in the solar system for 6 billion years?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

The solar system did not exist six billion years ago, so try again.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mathman Valued Senior Member

For all practical purposes, modern intellegent man has been around for about 50,000 years, while anatomically modern humans go back about 200,000 years. During this time there has been no significant change in the earth + moon + sun system.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xylene Valued Senior Member

If one assumes the actual literal truth of the idea of stopping the movement of a planet (which is what's being discussed here if you take those Biblical quotes at face-value) you're dealing with some pretty hairy physical effects on the bodies involved in the transaction. I suppose it would be possible to stop the rotation of a planet if you applied enough force--putting a black hole at a particular distance would be a method, though I'd advise you not to try this at home.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The problem then arises that you may have stopped the surface of the planet in its tracks, but as you know most if not all planets are made up of discrete layers--ie crust, upper and lower mantle, outer core, inner core in the case of Earth. Now you can stop the crust, as I said, but the effect takes a while to work its way down through the body of the world--it doesn't all stop in its tracks when the force is applied. So the crust stops, but the mantle moves on for a bit before it stops; the upper mantle stops eventually, but the lower mantle keeps moving; the lower mantle stops in its own time, but the outer core keeps going; the outer core stops, but the lower core keeps going for a while.

You don't have to be Einstein to realise that you're going to have a mean passle of problems which are going to start up almost immediately, and aren't going to go away in a hurry--and that's if it happens even once, let alone the dozen or so times as you have mentioned. Heaven help us (literally) if the kaka hits the fan in such a way.

8. Sawklwrd Banned Banned

So if not 6 billion years ago then 4.6 billion years ago.

9. Sawklwrd Banned Banned

Although man knows that he has lived on this planet for millions of years, he finds a recorded history of only a few thousand years. And even these few thousand years are not sufficiently well known.

History says otherwise. See quotes above. The question is: what evidence do you have to support your claim?

10. Balerion Banned Banned

You didn't quote history. You quoted works of fiction.

If you want to use that logic, what evidence do you have that Martians never invaded the planet, only to be turned away by the lowly germ? I mean, let's be serious here. You call the Bible "history"? The Illiad is history?

11. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

I agree: the Iliad is history.
    So is Winnie the Pooh.

12. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

And just ignore the fantasy bits.
    The priblem being, which bits are gfantasy and which aren't?

No evidence?
    Christopher Robin was real, the 100 Acre Wood is real (and still exists), Pooh bear existed...
    Now who's the crackpot?
    Just keep ignoring the facts

13. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Nah, the real question is: what evidence is there that there has been a change?

14. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

And now you're a mind-reader too?
    What's the phrase?
    Oh yeah: Epic fail.

15. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

More idiocy from you - impact craters etc have nothing to do with reversal of retrograde motion.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

:roflmao:
    Can't you crawl back under your rock. Please ?

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Lovely God you have there..

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I hate nature ? Do your homework..

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Are you actually this dense or is it just acting ?

20. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

I think after your 3rd sock...your next one is free.