how would you live if God doesn't exist?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by scorpius, Dec 31, 2008.

1. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I'm certain gods don't exist because I'm alive.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Probably, seeing that there are much theists than atheists in this world

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. disease Banned Banned

If you are alive, how can you possibly be certain that "gods" don't exist? Surely you can only be aware of your own existence?

This is what I believe (actually I know) "God" is. Call it what you like, but don't associate that word with external vaguely defined "deities", because the fact of your existence, neither allows nor denies the possibility of any such thing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Roman Banned Banned

Don't you do that anyway?

8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I'm as certain they don't exist as you are that they do.
    You said "I'm quite sure God exists, because I'm alive." but now you contradict that.
    "This is what I believe (actually I know) "God" is." WHAT is what you "know" god is???

9. disease Banned Banned

OK then, you must be as certain about the existence of external "gods" as I am. I'm certain that such things may or may not exist - I will never know if one or the other is the case.
    This gets kind of surreal, because as I've said it's something I can't say (or write down). I know I can hear it though (and see it and taste it). I suppose I feel it too (actually this is true because I can breathe). Therefore it isn't external, therefore it's either a part of "me", or I'm a part of "it", take your pick. And it doesn't matter what I think it is, because it exists whether I think about it or otherwise - say when I'm unconscious.

Ok?

10. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Your explanation is surreal.

11. disease Banned Banned

And your conclusion earlier, that I believe "gods" exist out there somewhere, is also surreal. I haven't said that at any time.

What I did say was: how can you possibly be certain that "gods" don't exist? How did you manage to conclude I must mean they do?

Let me clarify: .. it doesn't matter what I think it is, because it--that is: "me"--exists whether I think about it or otherwise...

Any less surreal?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  12. thinking Banned Banned

what difference does it make if " gods " do exist though ?

so your not aware of other Human beings existance ?

thats very strange

13. disease Banned Banned

I have no idea, as I said. I also am quite sure it's something I will never know, nor whether they do exist or not.
    Not if your definition of 'aware' is different to mine. What's your version?

14. cdabe Registered Member

I concur.

15. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

What would determine a "reasonable doubt"?
    It is actually impossible to find out that God does NOT exist.
    Are you asking us to fantasise the non-existence of God, like, don't take any
    scriptures seriously, and generally don't believe because we don't want to.

jan.

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Are you actually trying to convince us that you take ALL scriptures of your religion seriously? And, you obey everyone of them? Pulleeeze...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Actually I was asking scorpius how he would determine the "knew beyond reasonable doubt" part of his question, as there is no knowledge, common-sense, feeling, or understanding of God' non-existence. It can only be a matter of choice.

jan.

18. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

There is no knowledge, common-sense, feeling, or understanding of God's existence. It can only be a matter of gullibility.

19. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

The alleged existence of gods is without knowledge, common sense and understanding. It's entirely a matter of choosing blind faith. And, we can choose blind faith towards anything conjured from the imagination.

20. disease Banned Banned

Is there knowledge, common-sense, feeling, or understanding of your own existence?
    If you think "God" is just an idea, maybe that's true. What if you have zero idea? Are you still you?

21. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

This one.
    I was like so when I was an atheist, am so as a polytheist. Why would I not be if I were an atheist once more?

22. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Wrong.
    Hence the reason why God is known throughout all time, and place (on earth)

This analasys can only come from an atheist, who has to hold the
    concept in his/her mind ( with constant renewable effort) that God does not exist.

I cannot see God, therefore God does not exist.
    The only logical reason to believe.

jan.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You mean like unicorns ?