how would you live if God doesn't exist?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by scorpius, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

phlogistician,

I don't agree with your analasys, as the only time I think about the universe is in discussion, or those moments when you ponder on different aspects of life and nature, otherwise I get on with my life.
    Apart from that it doesn't detract from the logical conclusion that there must be a point of origin. The only other option is that the universe never comes into being, it just is. But that begs the questions as to what is the universe expanding into, and where did it expand from.

That doesn't make sense.
    Firstly we cannot function without purpose or reason, we would die of extreme boredom, to say the least.
    And secondly, God is the general name given to that point of origin, not that thoughtful people believe in God, just for the sake of belief.
    What can one possibly gain from that, apart from some short term pointless satisfaction?

Notice nobody is interested in roughly how many atoms are in the universe, or what is beyond the universe.
    Because, A- it is pointless, and, B, we will never know.
    We know what the right questions to ask are, because it involves our very selves.

Needing God isn't about getting answers, or having a shoulder to cry on.
    If God exist, then we are existing because he exists.
    The question in this discussion, has to come down to; Does God exist.

Yes, I can, and I do. Science is great, and is the perfect tool for understand things objectively, this goes without saying. But it is not the tool to understand this subject.
    I can't bury my head in sand, and pretend that this is all there is, and life is
    nothing but a struggle for survival.

jan.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

And, if god doesn't exist, everything we perceive is still prone to effect. The fact that you invoke superstitions to support this reasoning only demonstrates your beliefs, instead of offering an actual explanation.

In other words, it's fundamentally reasonable to accept superstition, but not science, even when the evidence supports science, but not superstition.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

doesn't science require the assumption that there is order in the universe?
    what else do they base their reason on?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

No. There doesn't HAVE to be an origin. EVERY THING has a cause. An origin is unresolvable. (By origin, you mean 1st cause.)
    Regardless of whether there are gods, everything that exists has always existed in some form.
    You can't apply a line of reasoning to 1 thing, claiming it MUST be but choose not to apply it when it suits you.
    That's what this boils up to.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
  8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Gods require order. Otherwise they'd be powerless.

9. lightgigantic Banned Banned

what a coincidence
    science does too

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

But you dispense with that requirement when you come to the conclusion God made the Universe? Where did God come from? How long did God wait before making the Universe? See, you can't say 'God has no beginning., he has been around for ever' because if that was the case, he'd never had gotten around to creating the Universe, as 'for ever' hasn't happened yet. You cannot regress time infinitely, meaning God too, must have had a beginning, if you make the argument for his existence.

Then call it by it's more appropriate name 'The Big Bang'!!

Oh yes they are! The mass of the Universe is an interesting subject.

Look up 'Universe' in the dictionary. The Universe is everything that exists, the sum of entirety. Nothing therefore can be 'beyond' it. If something exists, it is inside our Universe.

You are a speck stuck to rock in a big cold Universe Jan. Nothing more. There is no God, no soul, nothing more than life, and then death.

11. jayleew Who Cares Valued Senior Member

Why not?
    Why should you bury your head if there is no God?
    Why do you view life as a struggle for survival outside of the belief in God?
    Why pretend?

The people that are pretending are those that say:
    There is no God.
    OR
    There is a God.

The true frame of mind is:
    I believe there is no God.
    OR
    I believe there is a God.

I don't believe in God. If the non-existence of God was proven, my mind would be further at rest because many questions would be answered, but I would still live the same way I do now.

12. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

jayleew

As I have said before, belief is what it all boils down to.
    You believe there is no God, and I believe there is.

It's a struggle for survival for those who wish to survive.
    If you don't survive by physical effort, you waste and die.

This is their belief.
    Once they become aware of God as a concept, their status begins there.

I don't see how the "non existence of God" can be proven on any level of knowledge, and certainly not through science.
    The only reason one could safely assume that God does not exist, is by proving that God, and all the scriptures, were purely the work of man's imagination.

jan.

13. Tyler Registered Senior Member

That wouldn't prove God doesn't exist. That would suggest the Biblical Christian God doesn't exist. But it wouldn't even prove that that one specific God doesn't exist, just suggest it is true.

If I read a story by some science fiction writer about a bacteria on one of the moons of jupiter, I know that he imagined it in his head. But this does not prove there is no bacteria on the moon of jupiter. There may still be bacteria on the moon of jupiter.

14. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Tyler,

Which is why I said "The only reason one could safely assume that God does not exist..."

For the sake of argument let's assume the definition of God is the one supreme being worshiped by all monotheistic religions, and the subject of all scriptures.

So you're saying that all the scriptures ARE the work of combined imagination, but despite that it has no bearing on whether God actually exists or not?

Then is it not possible that if there is a possibilty that God exists, then there is a possibility that the scriptures aren't fictional works of what can only be described imaginations to beat all imaginations?

If not, why not?

jan.

jan.

15. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

For fuck's sake, Tyler. It's a simply hypothetical. Stop trying to make the make the question more than it is.

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

You are a liar Jan, previously you have said;

So it about belief, or logic? You have contradicted yourself. Your 'logic' is flawed, you cannot say 'everything must have a beginning', oh, but that leads to infinite regression, so we'll jump out of that logical trap by introducing God, who doesn't have a beginning, invalidating the initial premise.

So you are back to mere faith. Stop claiming you have used logic, when you used flawed logic, and actually admit you just want to believe.

Well, sadly, you are misguided, it's as valid and adult as believing in pixies. Time to grow up, Jan.

17. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

It's not that science requires order. Science is the investigation of the order which exists.
    Gods require scientific validity. Otherwise they'd be powerless.

18. Ladicius Registered Senior Member

Lol... The more I read this thread, the more pathetic I felt. Everythings about feelings. If people we weren't so plagued by them, we'd think so much clearer. We have so many supressed violent tendancies. Yet you still worry about a superior being judging how well you can constrict them. If that's the case, your god's the SAW dummy clown thing.

19. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

It's eeyoo eeyoo eeyoo, not twi twi twi.

20. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

The high-pitched viola section definately sounds like twi twi... to me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Maybe you need to watch the scene again. Check out YouTube.

jan.