Help with English

The company sends you to attend training so that you can apply what you learn on/in your job.
"In" is used more often. We do often say "on the job," but that normally refers to a person who is working RIGHT NOW, not somebody who does very good work but just happens to be taking a lunch break at this moment.

"In" is used more often. We do often say "on the job," but that normally refers to a person who is working RIGHT NOW, not somebody who does very good work but just happens to be taking a lunch break at this moment.
And another meaning we will not mention on a family friendly forum;)

I'll have to look up references, but I think a "cock and bull" story is akin to a shaggy dog joke.

Edit: 1776 is a good post count...

I'll have to look up references, but I think a "cock and bull" story is akin to a shaggy dog joke.
A cock and bull story is generally just a story that is considered fanciful and wildly exaggerated.
It stems from a couple of pubs that would almost try to outdo each other in the stories told.

A shaggy dog story is a long, rambling story/joke where the joke is more in the telling, the journey, rather than the punchline.

Granted, shaggy dog stories generally end with, "And then I died.", or something similar. I've died so many times... :D

Back