Help with English

I hope that I can clear off my debt in 5 years time.
Correct?
People would understand you but it's not the usual way of saying it.

On the matter of whether "clear off" is correct... I would use either:
I hope that I can clear my debt in 5 years time
or
I hope I can pay off my debt in 5 years time.

But it also depends on what you're trying to say.
Do you mean that you hope you can clear your debt(s) within 5 years (I.e. at some point in the next 5 years you hope to be free of debt) or do you mean that you hope to be able to pay off your debt at the end of 5 years... I.e. Pay nothing until then and clear it all in one payment?

Also be aware that "debt" usually refers to a single debt owed to someone, whereas "debts" would refer to all your debts.

People would understand you but it's not the usual way of saying it.

On the matter of whether "clear off" is correct... I would use either:
I hope that I can clear my debt in 5 years time
or
I hope I can pay off my debt in 5 years time.
Pretty sure ( I have googled it) that you also need an apostrophe here .

So it is "I hope that I can clear my debt in 5 years' time"

Someone will give a better answer, but:

Mantle can be a cloak (of authority, perhaps), or a rare-earth oxide used in a gas lantern. There are other usages.

Mantel refers to a fireplace. The mantel is a (usually) stone shelf that justs from the chimney wall to prevent flares, and a nice place to put family pictures...

Mental is a completely different thing. There are altogether too many examples of one colloquial use of the word that would describe some of the members. But I digress.

Someone will give a better answer, but:

Mantle can be a cloak (of authority, perhaps), or a rare-earth oxide used in a gas lantern. There are other usages.

Mantel refers to a fireplace. The mantel is a (usually) stone shelf that justs from the chimney wall to prevent flares, and a nice place to put family pictures...

Mental is a completely different thing. There are altogether too many examples of one colloquial use of the word that would describe some of the members. But I digress.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilary_Mantel Hilary Mantel's (the writer) name is accentuated on the last syllable.

Last edited:
I like to listen to songs in/on/of the radio. Which preposition?
ON the radio or television. We also say simply "on radio" or "on TV."
I hope that I can clear off my debt in 5 years time. Correct?
No, although everyone would understand you. There are several other slang ways of saying this, such as "getting rid of."

The simplest way to say it is to "pay off" my debt.
Saint said:
mantle, mantel, mental: Are their pronunciations very similar? Same root of word?
Mantel and mantle are pronounced identically; in fact, until recently they were the same word.

But "mental" is different word, and is not pronounced the same as the other two.

beating around the bush = say indirectly?
Yes, but there's more to it. To "beat around the bush" means that you're talking about something which is (at least slightly) important, but for various reasons (which are usually not explained), you never actually say why you're doing it.

The usual reason is that to open up the real topic is going to cause a lot of arguing, and people might start being rude to each other.

I will not forgive you unless/except you apologize to me for your offence.

Except sounds correct to me, isn't it?

Taylor Swift has a song named "I belong with you".
I belong to/with you,
to vs with, what's the difference in this sentence?

I will not forgive you unless/except you apologize to me for your offence.

Except sounds correct to me, isn't it?
No, you would use "unless".
"Unless" is used before a condition.
I will do A unless you do B

You might use "except" if you are explaining that the reason you didn't do something was because the person did something beforehand.
"I wasn't going to forgive you except you apologised."
The implication being that because they apologised you will now forgive them.
It's probably not correct English even then, but I've seen it used.

Tesla Loses Stranglehold As EV Revolution Accelerates.

stranglehold = ?
A stranglehold is a firm grip on something - the metaphor being to have your hands around someone's neck, strangling them.
In this case Tesla is losing their firm grip on the EV revolution, since other manufacturers are starting to get involved in a big way.
Taylor Swift has a song named "I belong with you".
I belong to/with you,
to vs with, what's the difference in this sentence?
"To belong to someone" expresses an ownership.
Your house belongs to you.
Your television belongs to you.

"To belong with someone" expresses a relationship, that things go together.
E.g. if you are organising your music collection, Pink Floyd might belong with King Crimson under the category of "Progressive Rock".
When saying "I belong with you" you are saying that you think you fit together.

Back