First live concert you attended..

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Magical Realist, Feb 16, 2024.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

What was the first live concert you ever attended and where was it? Mine was John Denver at the Summit in Houston. He was like an ant from where we were sitting..

Pinball1970 likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I think it was probably David Crosby and Graham Nash in college. While in college I also saw Edgar Winters and America. I was deaf for a few minutes after the Edgar Winters concert and I was center stage, 2nd row for the America concert.

I haven't actually been to that many concerts. I saw Jimmy Buffett twice and BB King twice. Once each in grad school (Phoenix) and once each in Seattle.

I've seen two Broadway plays, JC Superstar and Grease.

I've been to a few more minor concerts but not a lot more.

Pinball1970 and Magical Realist like this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exchemist Valued Senior Member

A carol concert at which I sang, as a treble, aged13.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Judas Priest, Portland OR. Not my choice but I had a friend with an extra ticket. Unfortunately, I developed a sinus headache just prior to the show starting, and sat through it in misery.

Pinball1970 likes this.
  8. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Three Dog Night.

Pinball1970 likes this.
  9. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

Not allowed. We want a band that you bought tickets for and had tinnitus after.

I would love to say mine was Deep Purple 1972 but I was too young.
    Madness 1981, the Apollo Manchester.

Magical Realist likes this.
  10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Oh you mean a rock concert? Is that the only kind that counts?

In that case Elton John at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1981, I think. What a musician!

Pinball1970 likes this.
  11. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Chicago symphony orchestra,
    most likely Tchaikovsky (it was a long time ago)

If I offered to usher, I could get in for free.
    The same was also true for most stage shows
    and some had "actors night"---also free

12. gmilam Valued Senior Member

My very first was a Radio Station event - KFJZ Ft Worth, TX. Mostly local bands - Cobras, Mixed Emotions & Courtship (winners of Paul Revere and the Raiders Happening '69 TV Show battle of the bands!). Plus an up and coming band drove in from Houston to headline - ZZ Top. Price was 50 cents or a can of food.

Second was either Three Dog Night or Grand Funk Railroad.

13. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I saw Doc Watson for $2 on campus, he lived nearby. I also saw the Count Basic Orchestra for about $2 on campus. I saw Harry Connick Jr and his orchestra with a girlfriend who got the tickets free from her brother.

I saw a few minutes of the symphony orchestra in Buenos Aires as they were rehearsing "Madame Butterfly". As a kid the NC Symphony Orchestra came to our school as well.

14. LaurieAG Registered Senior Member

The Angels in their first visit to Queensland for Griffith University O week 1978. Somehow they don't regard this as a gig/concert anymore.

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I don't think I can remember. It was probably something involving a symphony orchestra, when I was a kid, but I've been to enough concerts by symphony orchestras that I have no clue what it would have been. Maybe something by the Sydney Symphony Orchestra at the Sydney Opera House?

I think the first big pop/rock concert I can recall looking forward to and actually paying for myself was probably one of Billy Joel's tours around the late 1980s or early 1990s. I think it was at Melbourne Park, where the Australian Open tennis grand slam tournament is currently played - in the Rod Laver arena - although neither the venue nor the arena were called by those names back then.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  16. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I just recalled that I've seen the Beach Boys in concert as well.

17. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

What a great question!

Dire Straits Gateshead Stadium, England.

For some reason(not drugs) me and my mate couldn't stop laughing when they did "Walk of Life", I think it was their dancing style

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

exchemist and Magical Realist like this.
  18. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I saw Seals and Crofts as well.

19. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Knopfler is a really good musician. I’ve driven round the Highlands several times with his music from Local Hero on - so perfectly evocative. I almost feel he shared my childhood holidays there.

In fact, having just looked him up, I see he was born in Glasgow. That explains a lot…….

davewhite04 likes this.
  20. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Yeah he's a legend in my home town. He was born in Glasgow but moved to my City, Newcastle upon Tyne when he was young(so he has a Geordie accent). Local Hero is the song they play at the start of every soccer match at our home ground. He just did an update of the song for charity, here it is:

exchemist likes this.
  21. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Howay the lads!

But he's also half Hungarian Jewish, which may explain the fantastic musical talent.

In the film, as I recall, this plays as Macintyre arrives back home in Houston, and finds seashells in his pocket which he smells, calling to mind the very different world he has just returned from. How often have I had similar thoughts, arriving home, a bit dazed, from somewhere on the other side of the world. (Oddly enough I once even had that experience coming home to London from Houston, after a 2 year assignment there.)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  22. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Give over, it was the amazing music scene in the toon that rocked his socks off! But yeah, his blood might have something to do with it

Pretty amazing. I haven't seen the movie but its one of my mates favourite of all time.

23. Watcher Just another old creaker Registered Senior Member

First for me was the Cincinnati Pop Festival, Crosley Field. June 13, 1970, Cincinnati, OH.

The Stooges,
    Mountain,
    Grand Funk Railroad,
    Alice Cooper,
    Traffic,
    Mighty Quick,
    Bob Seger,
    Mott The Hoople,
    Ten Years After,
    Bloodrock,
    Savage Grace,
    Brownsville Station

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cincinnati Enquirer

Cincinnati Enquirer

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024