Documentary thread

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mrs.Lucysnow, Aug 18, 2009.

1. yipeekiaye Registered Member

Inside Job, a film/documentary about the financial collapse in 2008.

It shows the history before the collapse, what happened and how little has changed really.

What surprised me was Clinton's administration being not much different to a Republican administration re: Wall street.

A must for conspiracy theorists - you were right all along.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Sometimes I watch things just to take my mind off other things and maybe put some perspective. I live in Canada so, watching this footage in Syria made me wonder how many luxuries in comparison. Like, my country is not devastated and I can freely bitch over internet science forums.

The documentary is not gruesome like some. I saw one where a young Syrian teen had his innards hanging out and turned off.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. milkweed Valued Senior Member

Freeway: Crack in the System

Watched it today on Netflix. Very interesting to me as I remember the crack/cocaine flood of the 80s quite well. Not sure if Freeway is entirely on the up and up, but for the most part, I think he is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/"Freeway"_Rick_Ross

Its on youtube also, but the uploads are very recent.

O. W. Grant likes this.
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

One documentary that I thought was both morbid and inspirational at the same time was

I've read that starvation is one of the most painful was to die so imagine committing suicide by fasting. It reminded me of the dude supposedly holding his hand in the fire https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaius_Mucius_Scaevola

The willpower to do such a thing...

8. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Thought Crimes - The Case Of The Cannibal Cop 2015

Everyone should watch this documentary. It didn't really affect me personally as my fetish is watching creepy documentaries but if you use the internet it's a must see.

The court case of a cop who chatted about kidnapping and cooking women on a fetish site.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  9. milkweed Valued Senior Member

Interesting character story. Only got to try real 'shine once, back in '78. I know it came from that area, but cant say it was popcorns brew. The person who shared some with me made a trip back home once a year to visit relatives and brought back a jug each time; doling out sips to friends until the next trip. I would love to have a jug of my own to treat friends too.

10. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

On other boards I've received unnerving private messages of which I don't respond... Anyway, if you have interweb you might like to see this: http://ffilms.org/talhotblond-2012/

Thomas Montgomery, a married father of two young daughters, gets seduced by the world of online gambling and chat rooms where a virtual romance and sexual obsession ultimately leads to the murder of an innocent man.

11. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

Simply Complicated
    Demi Lovato Auto Biography
    "Demi Lovato: Simply Complicated - Official Documentary"
    Documentary by Demi, about Demi coming to grips(Finaly being diagnosed & starting treatment) with Bi-Polar Disorder & how Demi was Self Medicating to a point of Addiction & battling the mania & Depresion
    i rate it a MUST WATCH.

O. W. Grant likes this.
  12. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

13. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

Concussion (highly recomended must watch if you have kids in sports)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion_(2015_film)

wills acting is worth an official note.

14. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I was watching this documentary and couldn't rightly stop thinking that it is more of historical value.

O. W. Grant likes this.
  15. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

I've only really just heard about this guy, maybe others merely have too. From National Geographic channel.

16. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Swimming in Auschwitz - this is a really moving documentary about six women who share their experiences during the Holocaust. Their stories are heart breaking, yet inspiring. I've watched quite a few Holocaust movies but I came away learning things that I had no idea went on.

I Love You, Now Die - The Commonwealth vs Michelle Carter

This story is about an 18 year old who took his life, largely due to the overwhelming encouragement of his then girlfriend, Michelle Carter. Yes, he was struggling with ongoing depression, but this documentary will fill in the gaps that you didn't know about, that led up to his death. I had heard about this story, but only in bits and pieces, so it goes to show that until you know all the facts of a case, you simply can't make a judgement.

O. W. Grant likes this.
  18. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Caveat:
    The historical study of Carthage is problematic. Few primary sources are available, so most of the history of Carthage was written by her enemies, both Greek and Roman.

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

20. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The following is a documentary that literally had me slobbering and in tears.....one of the most touching stories one can imagine.
    Love & Bananas: An Elephant Story

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Another that I have mentioned previously [either here or elsewhere] is the award winning doco called "Chasing Ice" Some incredible scenery along with a disturbing message...

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Another incredible doco along with the previous two is called "BlackFish" on Orcas in captivity....again awe inspiring...

All three I urge people to watch...probably the three most inspiring docos I have ever seen and all on dvd.

23. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member