Are we purely material beings or do we have souls?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by James R, Apr 11, 2020.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I saw that Alex...doesn't really require an answer, as it speaks for itself.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Yes Jan is probably worrying how to get the cash to pay what's owing on his ticket to the after life.
    Alex

Michael 345 likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Michael 345 and Xelasnave.1947 like this.
  8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

We could argue about whether "nothing" qualifies as transcendental.

Apart from that, though, are you telling us that your God is indistinguishable from "nothing"?

If you're trying to define "God = nothing" in a roundabout sort of way, I don't think you'll find too many atheists who will disagree with you.

Why would they?

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

No, Jan. Atheists are human beings. Like you, they believe in lots of things. They just don't believe in gods. That's really all there is to it.

10. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

If it is the cause of something, then it is transcendental.
    If I was an atheist, I would be.
    I think you’re right.
    But, to maintain their belief system, they have have to pretend that it is a consideration, because they know that under scrutiny their position ultimately amounts to nothing.
    Because they know it is unreasonable.

Hey James, is it okay to cuss on these forums now?

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Thinking of reporting me Jan?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

But hey! god/s and nothing? That makes a lot of sense...like myths and nothing, or pink unicorns and nothing.
    Or are you agreeing that the quantum foam should be defined as nothing? Are you now like the Catholic church, finally recognising the evidence that tells us that Darwinism and the theory of evolution are fact?....and that the BB is so overwhelmingly supported, that it to is fact?

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

13. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Just seeing if it’s okay man.
    I may want to indulge from time to time.

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

You'll go to hell if you do!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

People believe universes, including time, space, matter, mind, and consciousness, jus pop into existence out nothing, and out of nowhere.
    This is hell.

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No Jan that's wrong. People accept the observable universe, space and time, as evolutionary models that align with observational evidence.
    We have no evidence for hell...we have no evidence for heaven...we have no evidence for souls...and we have no evidence for any supernatural creature. In fact they are all legendary myth to support the gullible and their fear in the finality of death, just as you seem to fear Jan.

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Scientists don't have all the answers to the universe, Jan, they've only been at it for a short time and have a lot of ground to cover. Their explanations so far are not complete and indeed when more evidence and observation comes to pass, they'll have much better explanations, full of detail and facts that will help us better understand our origins.

Of course, if none of it is of any consequence to you, feel free to chime in and provide your own detailed explanations that we can all understand?

18. river

Indeed .

Which is non-sense .

Knowledge becomes greater but not the thinking .

19. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Why don’t you respond to Paddo’s remark about hell?

20. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Hmmm, sad.

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Yet its painfully obvious that you are devoid of both.

22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Michael 345 likes this.
  23. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Because I am not my body.
    You can’t be the things that you regard as owning, or having control over. I am not a part of my hand. My hand is a part of me. The question is; what is me?
    It shows that as well.
    Give me a reason why that belief is not true?
    Do the French make the same references with regards their friend, car, dna?
    So we lie to ourselves virtually from the moment start to talk, until we can talk no more? It’s a wonder we can distinguish the difference between ‘I and mine’ at all.
    We all say it because it is true. Just like a bird perfectly knows how to fly, and that it should fly. Only a nut would seriously try and pull the explanation you’re attempting to. And you know it.
    Not at all.
    We all know it, even if we can’t explain it.
    It is axiomatic.
    No. It is based on the truth that we are not the physical body, and our natural expression of that truth.
    You are making up lies, to try and hide that fact with bizzare, unnatural, unimaginable, impossible ideas. Nice try, but no cigar.
    Interpret this to that expression;

My mind has been occupied with exercise recently. I can see that my stomach is beginning to hang over my trousers. My wife has a nice body though. She regularly put her body through a rigorous exercise regime, thought up by someone with a disciplined mind.
    Because it is natural for every person to express themselves in a way that makes it obvious that we are separate from our body. If we are not our body, then we are in control of the body.
    Unless you can show how it is we are not.
    And I don’t mean coming up with unnatural, unimaginable scenarios. I mean something that we can know and experience.