Judas to tell his story

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Voldemort, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Voldemort Registered Senior Member

ABOUT 2000 years after the Gospel according to Judas sowed discord among early Christians, a Swiss foundation is translating the controversial text named after the apostle, said to have betrayed Jesus.

The 62-page papyrus manuscript of the text was uncovered in Egypt during the 1950s or 1960s, but its owners did not fully comprehend its significance until recently, according to the Maecenas Foundation in Basel.
    The manuscript written in the ancient dialect of Egypt's Coptic Christian community will be translated into English, French and German in about a year, the foundation said yesterday.

"We have just received the results of carbon dating: the text is older than we thought and dates back to a period between the beginning of the third and fourth centuries," foundation director Mario Jean Roberty said.

The existence of a Gospel of Judas was outlined by a bishop, Saint Irenee, when he denounced the text as heretical during the second century.

The foundation declined to say what account Judas is said to give in his alleged gospel. According to tradition, Judas Iscariot betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver by helping the Romans to find him before he was crucified.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,12704755%5E663,00.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Perhaps Jesus wanted to be found, which means that Judas was not a traitor at all.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

if jesus new that judas would betray him, perhaps he may have coerced him into it, therefore jesus wrongfully made him become a traitor.
    the bibles full of people, blamed for someone, or somethings elses folly.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

Voldemort: ABOUT 2000 years after the Gospel according to Judas sowed discord among early Christians, a Swiss foundation is translating the controversial text named after the apostle, said to have betrayed Jesus.
    M*W: That would depend on which Judas you're talking about. There were several:

Judas the Galilean - 6CE

He attracted supporters at the time of the census but when his supporters incited insurrection, he was killed, and his followers ran away.

Judas of Gamala - 6CE

He also lived during the time of the census (6 BC). He also led an insurrection against the Romans.

Judas Thomas (Epidydmus)

The twin brother of Jesus and the brother of Judas and James. He wrote the Gospel of Thomas between 50-140 AD.

Judas Maccabeus

He led a band of rebellious Jews in the war against Antiochus Epiphanes from 169-166 BC and saved Judaism from extinction.

St. Jude "the Apostle"

Wrote the Epistle of Jude between 90-120 CE. Not an apostle in the time of Jesus.

Judas Thaddeus

Brother of Jesus and James. Also called Lebbaeus and Judas Jacobi. He was a zealot commander. It has been said that Thaddeus, Matthew, James and Jesus were all sons of a man named Alphaeus. (If "Al" means "Father," what does "phaeus" mean?Anybody?).

Judas Iscariot

A disciple of Jesus and membem of a band of sicarii(bandits). A foe of Matthew, the tax collector. He handed Jesus over to the Romans and led a great rebellion against the Romans who turned Judas over to be crucified.

Judas Sicariote

Also called Judas Iscariot. He was chief of the scribes who lived in Jesus's day. His predecessor was Judas the Galilean, founder of the Zealot warlords of Qumran. His title was Sicarius, meaning "assassin" or "hit-man." A sica was a small dagger the sicarii concealed under their robes. They would meet at crowd gatherings, stab then rob people inconspicuously, and get away with their money. Jesus formed many crowds when he preached, while the sicarii worked the crowds. Judas Sicariote was third in command under Jesus and Simon Zelotes.

The Gospel of Judas being translated by the Swiss foundation is probably not the gospel of Judas Iscariot but some other Judas that wrote it well into the second century between 130-170 CE.

http://www.earlychristianwritings.comhttp://www.earlychristianwritings.com/

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

In fact, if Jesus was God, or at the least, an observant teacher, there is no way he would not have known about Judas' character. So, either he did know, and wanted to be betrayed, or, much more likely, Judas was a good guy, and was only following his teacher's wishes.

9. machaon Registered Senior Member

The bible also say that Judas committed suicide. He somehow managed to hang himself and jump off a cliff. Depending on which gospel one reads. I imagine any new gospels from any of the disciples would be more problematic than revelatory. I am not sure if revelatory is a word, but i like it.

10. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

machaon: The bible also say that Judas committed suicide. He somehow managed to hang himself and jump off a cliff. Depending on which gospel one reads. I imagine any new gospels from any of the disciples would be more problematic than revelatory. I am not sure if revelatory is a word, but i like it.
    M*W: Allegedly, and I do use the word loosely, the story goes that Judas was crucified at the same time as Jesus. Judas was a Jewish terrorist and was crucified for such activity. After they broke his legs and took him down from the cross where he had remained for only three hours, barely alive, the Romans threw him over a cliff to his death. Judas did not commit suicide. However, I don't believe any of this happened anyway. It's all myth.