Planets and their systems

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Orleander, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

If our sun and all the planets is a solar system, what system is just our planet and our moon? Does it even have a name? Do any of the planets and their moons have their own little name?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

the name of such bestows upon the planet's name.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Mostly we just talk about "Earth and its moon" or "Jupiter and its moons".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

the earth system????

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so each planet doesn't have its own system?
    What system is our solar system in?

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

the milky way galxy system????????

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

are we the only solar system in the Milky Way galaxy? What system is the Milky Way galaxy in?

11. draqon Banned Banned

it is not called a system but galaxy is name it has.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Orleander i dont understand the question, the next level would be the univers i guess. What is your question?????????

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what are the layers in expanding systems.
    The planets and moons don't have one so the next one up is solar system. Then apparently the galaxy. Are there other systems in our galaxy? What is the next step up?

14. draqon Banned Banned

Milky Way

15. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

anyone know?

16. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

No. Its the Solar System, then the Local Cluster, then the Spiral Arm, then the Milky Way, then the Local Group, then the Universe, then the Multi-Verse.

17. draqon Banned Banned

oh wow

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I never knew that thank you so much. got any links?

18. halo07guy Registered Senior Member

Its simple, if you think about it. Earth is part of the Solar System, which is in a cluster of nearby solar systems called the Local Cluster, which is located on near the edge of one of the Milky Ways spiral arms. The Milky way is part of a group of galaxies called the Local group which includes Andromeda. These are all part of the Universe, and beyond that, are other Universes, forming the Multi-Verse. The idea is that Universes are like gigantic galaxies, which has lead several scientists to the idea that there must be more then one universe. After all, whats on the other side of the Universe's edge?

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

if you want to keep going the other way we have the earth biospear right down to the systems of electrons, nutrons and protons at the sub atomic level. Everything works in systems

20. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure what you mean by 'name'. The word 'system' just refers to the components in a particular group. The 'Jupiter system' is a correct usage for Jupiter and the objects that are graviatationally bound to it, just as the 'Earth/moon system' is a correct usage. Solar system originally referred to our sun (Sol) and all the objects gravitationally bound to it, but has been extended to refer to any sun and the group of objects (planets, asteroids, comets, etc.) gravitationally bound to it. Stars that are closer to us can be referred to as 'stars in our galactic neighborhood', but since they aren't gravitationaly bound, as in orbiting each other, they don't constitute a system. A galaxy is a system of gravitationally bound objects. Some galaxies recieve popular names, like our Milky Way galaxy, but not all the billions of galaxies.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

which galaxy has the most solar systems?

22. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

We can only guess that any other galaxy has any planetary systems,as they are too far away for astronomers to see any real evidence of planets. But planets almost certainly do exist in other galaxies.

The one with the most planetary systems is probably also one of the largest; see this page about the largest galaxy.
    http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=412

Incidentally I prefer to use 'planetary systems' rather than 'solar systems', as 'solar' does imply an association with our Sun.

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

where does the cosmos fit into all this?