Thread: Does A Blind Person Dream Of Image?

Registered Senior Member

Unhappy Does A Blind Person Dream Of Image?

I really pondered this all night.

Does a Blind Person Dream of Images?

I mean think about it. If you are blind then you probably have never seen what something looks like. Then what are they dreaming of why they sleep?

They must see this black void.

discuss

had a mod but let him go spidergoat's Avatar
    I think Stevie Wonder talked about this once. At first he did, since he used to be able to see, then his memory of sights faded away.

is feeling caustic
    What do you mean? If they have never seen light then what makes you think that they see "black"? How do you know what black is if you have never seen light? What if they see aquamarine blue in their sleep? Or what if they see some color that no one has of yet discovered?

Talk to Prince James about his ideas (which I find specious).

*waits for someone to start about qualia*

Tom Sullivan, blind from birth, said something once to the effect that it really suprises him to hear that people think he "sees" blackness. He dosen't "see" anything. His eyes have zero function, and the brain regions for vision have apparently been given over to improvements in his other senses. The concept of sight to him is like the concept of echo-location for the rest of us. Bats and dolphins can "see" amazingly well using sound. Do we feel deprived? Neither does Tom.

http://www.sullivanspeaks.com/profile.asp

There appear to have been a few studies on this subject.

Most researchers believe that people who are blind from birth or who become blind in infancy do not see in their dreams. They do not retain visual imagery because it was never acquired in the first place.

However, those blinded in childhood, adolescence, young adulthood, or afterwards usually do see in their dreams. "They often retain visual imagery in their waking life and in their dreams," according to Drs Nancy Kerr of the Department of Psychology at Oglethorpe University and G. William Domhoff of the Department of Psychology at the University of California at Santa Cruz.

They write in the December 2004 issue of Dreaming that "individuals blinded before the age of about five report no visual imagery in dreams as adults, whereas those blinded after about the age of seven are likely to retain visual imagery in dreaming".

This conclusion is based upon four sleep laboratory studies conducted between 1966 and 1999. According to the Royal National Institute of the Blind in London: "Dreams are experienced in the same way as life is lived. If someone loses their sight, they will dream of events during the days when sight was available in visual terms. If dreams are about recent events when sight was not used, sensations will be in terms of sound, smell, texture, and so on." A person dreams as they live.
    Link
    The two following studies might also shed some light on the subject. I will post the abstract from both as they are quite indepth, but also quite interesting to read.

Drawing on a sample of 372 dreams from 15 blind adults, this paper presents two separate analyses that replicate and extend findings from previous studies. The first analysis employed DreamSearch, a software program designed for use with dream narratives, to examine the appearance of the five sensory modalities. It revealed that those blind since birth or very early childhood had (1) no visual imagery and (2) a very high percentage of gustatory, olfactory, and tactual sensory references. The second analysis found that both male and female participants differed from their sighted counterparts in the same ways on several Hall and Van de Castle (1966) coding categories, including a high percentage of locomotion/transportation dreams that contained at least one dreamer-involved misfortune. The findings on sensory references and dreamer-involved misfortunes in locomotion/transportation dreams are interpreted as evidence for the continuity between dream content and waking cognition.
    Link
    This article provides a critique of a recent inaccurate claim that the congenitally blind literally "see" in their dreams, which flies in the face of findings that were established in 3 careful previous studies. It first shows how this claim arose through a blurring of the distinction between actual seeing through the visual system and imagery that preserves spatial and metric properties without specific reliance on the visual system. It then discusses the 3 mistaken reasons for this blurring. This correction is important beyond the specific issue of seeing in dreams because the original findings lend important support for a cognitive theory of dreaming by showing that the imagery necessary for dreaming develops between ages 4 and 7.
    Link
    Hope it helps.

Registered Senior Member
    I read today that some people can become blind from migraines. Imagine not seeing anything, not even blackness. I can't imagine what that would be like. It would have to be one of the most profound experiences.

Registered Senior Member
    I don't ever wish to experience that

Quote Originally Posted by grover View Post
    It would have to be one of the most profound experiences.
    More like unexperiences

Quote Originally Posted by superluminal View Post
    Tom Sullivan, blind from birth, said something once to the effect that it really suprises him to hear that people think he "sees" blackness.
    This is surprising in itself since he has no concept of blackness at all so how can he be surprised. Did somebody describe blackness to him in detail? And if they did, how did they do that?!

Registered Member
    Does nothing=blackness or does blackness=something? For example, when i close my eyes, I see nothing, so I see blackness, but does it work the other way? If I see blackness, do I see nothing?

I don't know. And I don't want to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ToRaSQue View Post
    Does nothing=blackness or does blackness=something? For example, when i close my eyes, I see nothing, so I see blackness, but does it work the other way? If I see blackness, do I see nothing?

I don't know. And I don't want to think about it.

Who knows what they experience. We experience blackess in the absence of light. Since people blind from birth have no experiance whatsoever of light, they may have a different colored "blank state" if u will. Maybe they see what you would call white