Does A Blind Person Dream Of Image?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by sss3d, Dec 20, 2006.

1. sss3d Registered Senior Member

I really pondered this all night.

Does a Blind Person Dream of Images?

I mean think about it. If you are blind then you probably have never seen what something looks like. Then what are they dreaming of why they sleep?

They must see this black void.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

discuss

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think Stevie Wonder talked about this once. At first he did, since he used to be able to see, then his memory of sights faded away.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

What do you mean? If they have never seen light then what makes you think that they see "black"? How do you know what black is if you have never seen light? What if they see aquamarine blue in their sleep? Or what if they see some color that no one has of yet discovered?

Talk to Prince James about his ideas (which I find specious).

*waits for someone to start about qualia*

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Tom Sullivan, blind from birth, said something once to the effect that it really suprises him to hear that people think he "sees" blackness. He dosen't "see" anything. His eyes have zero function, and the brain regions for vision have apparently been given over to improvements in his other senses. The concept of sight to him is like the concept of echo-location for the rest of us. Bats and dolphins can "see" amazingly well using sound. Do we feel deprived? Neither does Tom.

http://www.sullivanspeaks.com/profile.asp

8. Bells Staff Member

There appear to have been a few studies on this subject.

The two following studies might also shed some light on the subject. I will post the abstract from both as they are quite indepth, but also quite interesting to read.

Hope it helps.

9. grover Registered Senior Member

I read today that some people can become blind from migraines. Imagine not seeing anything, not even blackness. I can't imagine what that would be like. It would have to be one of the most profound experiences.

10. sss3d Registered Senior Member

I don't ever wish to experience that

11. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

More like unexperiences

12. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

This is surprising in itself since he has no concept of blackness at all so how can he be surprised. Did somebody describe blackness to him in detail? And if they did, how did they do that?!

13. ToRaSQue Registered Member

Does nothing=blackness or does blackness=something? For example, when i close my eyes, I see nothing, so I see blackness, but does it work the other way? If I see blackness, do I see nothing?

I don't know. And I don't want to think about it.

14. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Who knows what they experience. We experience blackess in the absence of light. Since people blind from birth have no experiance whatsoever of light, they may have a different colored "blank state" if u will. Maybe they see what you would call white