How simple it really is . . . .

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by wlminex, Jun 29, 2012.

1. wlminex Banned Banned

My alternative theory . . . regarding life . . . and quantum reality

"Quantum emergent energetic patterns are imprinted within organic matter, especially forming a limited variety of repeating nucleic (e.g., DNA) molecular sequences. This occurs via a quantum energy/organic interaction, at micron and submicron scales, similar to the Casimir Effect."

This is the basic formational process. If you can envision this process, the door is opened to explain derivatives of the process, such as consciousness, evolution, life, mind, etc., and its precursors, such as God and spirituality.

Give it some thought . . . if you're not too preoccupied with living your life.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Questions about your theory:

1. What is an energetic pattern?
    2. What is an emergent energetic pattern?
    3. What is a quantum emergent energetic pattern, and how does it differ from other types of emergent energetic patterns? What would be an example of a non-quantum emergent energetic pattern?

4. By what mechanism(s) are energetic patterns imprinted within organic matter, and what is the nature of this imprinting?
    5. What is the evidence for imprinting?
    6. Why are only a limit variety of sequences formed? Which sequences, specifically, are they?

7. Please explain the term "quantum energy/organic reaction". What is that? What, exactly is interacting with what?
    8. Oh, and let's go back a step. Is "quantum energy" different from "organic energy"? If so, how?
    9. What instrumentation would I need to detect "quantum energy"?
    10. What instrumentation would I need to detect "organic energy"?

11. How did you establish the scale of the interaction to be "sub-micron"? And can you be any more specific than that? Do you have a lower bound?

12. How is any of this "similar to the Casimir effect"?

Great, but at this stage I can't envisage the process because there are far too many undefined terms.

Also, I am deeply suspicious of any theory that claims to explain everything (e.g. consciousness, evolution, life, mind, God etc.) A short post claiming you can explain all these things just smacks of crackpottery.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wlminex Banned Banned

Aren't we all seeking the GUT and TOE?????

Is it just me . . . or are you calling me a crackpot? (tee hee!) That is WHY I POSTED THIS IN ALTERNATIVE THEORIES . . . actually it is NOT a Theory . . . . only an hypothesis . . . . Regards, James/wlminex

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

wlminex:

Please don't put stuff in quotes that people might mistake as being written by me rather than by you. Thanks.

I know what a pattern is. I'm asking you how you can identify an "energetic pattern".

What's the source of a quantum energetic pattern?

You half-answered half the question. Want to try again. It's your theory, after all.

Sounds like a convoluted way to describe that.

Something like the Casimir effect how?

For somebody who claims to have a theory, do you really have nothing better than wishy-washy one-phrase replies to these questions?

In what? And how do you know they result from imprinting and not something else?

So, the limits in your theory are no different from normal chemistry.

Which components? How is the jiggling done? What forces are involved?

Sorry. My mistake.

What experiment do you suggest I could do to observe a quantum energy/organic reaction?

Again, I apologise.

Extrapolating from what, and on what grounds?

And what does it mean for science if the Casimir effect works with organic material? Why is this important?

No. You need to define your terms, and you need something other than a flight of imagination in order to establish a scientific hypothesis. Nobody can do R&D on something that isn't properly defined.

Suppose I tell you that splurges will change the world. I have a theory of splurges: they are kind of like photons in delayed-choice experiment, in a way that I can't specify. I think that maybe splurges control your brain.

So, are you willing to help me with a little R&D on splurges, based on this? Does this sound like exciting and important new science to you?

No. Most people leave that to competent, trained, professional physicists.

It looks a lot to me like it's not even wrong (to quote Fermi).

8. wlminex Banned Banned

James: Remember . . . you are discoursing with a "crackpot" whose out-of-the-box soliloquies (sp?) have little to do with mainstream physics. I'm simply tossing-out an alternative HYPOTHESIS (not a THEORY!). If you are further interested in what I hypothesize . . . do your own explorations.

9. wlminex Banned Banned

10. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

wlminex, you probably are describing the natural generation and evolution of life. I take that view because you reference "quantum emergent", which means to me, something having its beginnings in a natural origin at the foundational level, whether that is mechanically accomplished at the molecular, atomic, or sub atomic level.

Let's say I am right, and you are addressing the origin of the living molecule. I would agree that once life emerges and gains a foothold, that emergence opens out into all of the characteristics of living things from simple to complex.

I'll take up your request to "give it some thought" and offer these. Before life can emerge it needs a hospitable environment with the right chemicals and sources of energy for life to emerge. Also, the emergence, presumable characterized by the quantum nature of particles, would seem to me to be an iterative process. Given all the necessary elements and conditions, and given lengthy periods of time where those conditions are consistently present, eventually the living molecule combination of elements will emerge from one of the elemental combinations that appear in the iterations. By my definition anyway, it must reproduce itself in order to count as life.

Finding a foothold, and given adaptability, clearly it is possible for evolution to bring forth conscious, self aware, contemplative, intelligent beings; so I'll give you that.

Just how does the Casimir effect play into that emergence? Is it at the foundational level before life emerges, or is it instrumental in the emergence, or both? Explain.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

wlminex:

Why talk about things like the Casimir effect, when you so obviously don't understand it?

And why do you think anybody would want to listen to you? It's like you had a dream and randomly strung a few unrelated concepts together. It sounds like you're put about 2 minutes thought into your "hypothesis". It's just worthless garbage, isn't it? Why would anybody think otherwise? You have certainly given no reason.

Why would I want to do that?

I'm not going to do the work you should have done on your proposal. You tell me about the quantum effects on DNA, if you believe they are relevant.

If I want to research such a thing for myself at any stage, I will. But I'm not about to be sent off on a wild goose chase by you when you have given me nothing that makes me think it would be worth my while.

12. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

How simple it really is... Wait a second, I so don't think so.

13. wlminex Banned Banned

QW's: "Just how does the Casimir effect play into that emergence? Is it at the foundational level before life emerges, or is it instrumental in the emergence, or both? Explain. "

QW, Thanks for your query . . . . . I'll try to explain . . . .

First, a couple of webpage references:

Casimir Effect (CE) is an experimentally-demonstrable 'effect'
    (Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect.

Google "Hameroff+quantum soul"

I am speculating that the CE interacts with ANY material of the required scale (for CE to occur), that is . . . CE operates within ANY material - inorganic or organic. CE is speculated (by others, e.g, Hameroff, as well as myself) to interact with neurons and microtubles (i.e., organic) simply because the operating scale requirements (for CE to occur) are existent. According to this 'speculation', CE is the interaction (based soley on scale - not the type of material) . . . thus quantum-level (scale) energetic interactions are possible.

My 'stretch' on the above is that quantum patterns exist . . . and that quantum emergent patterns (ordered energetic patterns emerging from the quantum) are likely impressed on existing matter (of any type) at the quantum scale via CE (or CE-like mechanisms). Scale is the only required criterion.

Now for some other really "OOB stretches" . . . . The quantum is a milieu within which vast energies and complex patterns are extant. We cannot directly 'measure' this milieu, or its energetic or emergent qualities . . . but we can infer such from demonstrable CE experiments, etc.

Speculation #1: God or spirituality, if true, likely exist at the quantum level and are manifest as quantum-emergent patterns that are NOT directly detectible (in a 'mass-universe'), but may indirectly affect matter (both inorganic and organic) at quantum scales.

Speculation #2: Quantum emergent patterns are impressed (at micron and submicron, quantum scales) within ALL matter.

Speculation #3: Weak hydrogen bonds in nucleic macro-molecules (e.g., DNA, etc.) may be affected by quantum entanglements (pattern interactions) giving rise to an evolutionary (DNA-changing) mechanism.

Speculation #4 (You'll really like this one!): God's creation of life was initiated by a simple quantum interaction with organically-expanded 'clay' particles in which the thixotropic clay particles (charged plates) contained interstitial organic compounds (such as H-C-N-P). Emergent quantum patterns interacted with these organic constituents producing (desired?) proto-nucleic acid (i.e., DNA precursor) and ergo, an evolutionary mechanism.

"Dust thou art . . .to dust returneth was not written of the soul" (Ref: J. G. Whittaker, I think)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Nonsense. People don't understand quantum physics, and they want to use it to fill in all the gaps in our knowledge in other areas. If you want to hear this kind of thing all day long, just click here:
    http://www.wisdomofchopra.com/

It's an automatic phrase generator using Deepak Chopra's most commonly used words.

15. wlminex Banned Banned

Reply to James:

16. wlminex Banned Banned

SG: I hope you are not including yourself as the 'people' who don't understant quantum physics. Unfortunately, there do exist gaps in our knowledge that require filling.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes, I don't understand it either, but I know that it is probably not too involved in biology, apart from some clever things that plants do with photons.

18. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Thank you for taking us through those links and explanations. Personally my views are vastly different, but if you are convinced by the evidence and logic, then no one should expect you to change them.

But I suggest that you be more direct. To what extent do you invoke the Supernatural? If you remove the supernatural is there enough remaining science to make your case?

19. wlminex Banned Banned

QW . . . . Ans to your last query: Yes! BTW: Alfred Wegner had a lot less science as a basis in conjuring/hypothesizing Continental Drift.

Invoking the 'Supernatural' (your term) is a consequence of my hypothesizing an underlying implicate "order" (or intelligence) . . . based on absolutely no 'science' . . . except . . . and I prefer to believe such is the case . . . God is a scientist.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  20. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Well we all have our quirks, lol. Mine is that if the universe is infinite and eternal, and is governed by natural laws, then it is reasonable to expect that there are some natural laws we don't yet understand. Those could be attributed to God, but I also believe that the science and physics that we don't yet understand are still governed by natural law. If there is any intention, it is embedded in the natural law and has always existed; Eternal Intent.

21. wlminex Banned Banned

QW: I agree. I too believe that the universe is infinite and eternal and operates via natural laws - into which are embedded emergent quantum energetic patterns. I like your Eternal Intent notion.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

wlminex:

I've wasted enough time on this nonsense. I'm out.

23. wlminex Banned Banned

Thanks for contributing your perspectives, James . . . . . . .