Randomly selecting from an infinite number of choices

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Nasor, Jan 20, 2009.

1. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Also, Pete, Nasor's #23 post presumes that the selection is possible. I feel we have proven that it is not possible, but if it were (with Angels and Devils capable of supertasks) then the answer is ZERO probability. Do you agree?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Sure, just like the odds of flipping a head on any coin flip is constant... but the odds of when the first flip will occur is not.

Ah... that's the key!

That's the heart of the problem - the atom can only decay once. It will only last until the first time heads comes up.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

No. I think the question is meaningless.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

IN the situation you were describing it is irrelevant.

Or are you instead suggesting that Angels and Demons are mortal, and subject to mortal limitations?

8. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Given the definition of Undefined, yes.

I'm aware of that.

Your missing the point. The point is the compression side is irrelevant.

Strictly speaking, yes.

Strictly speaking, yes.

Strictly speaking, yes.

Actually completely irrelevant.

You seem to be assuming that I know the number beforehand, and then compress it first so that I can communicate it, rather then generating the 'compressed' number and telling you how to expand it.

But it's not even really that, in that sense every number is 'compressed', i'm just using different rules to interprete their meaning.

I hate to be rude, but Duh.
    I thought that was implicit in the discussion, or do I really need to go back and restate it explicitly.

As for how long it will take?

It will take as long as it takes me to decide or make them up.

Whatever, the compression side is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.

9. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

No.

10. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Or, equally likely, 5 Trillion years or 5 quadrillion years or 5 megistron years, and so on. If each of these is equally likely, it follows that the expected time till decay is greater than any finite number, since there is always an unbounded set of equally-probable greater numbers. Whether you call this "infinite" or "undefined" is just semantics: if the distribution is truly uniform over all time, then you will sit there waiting for the particle to decay for ever. It is easy to show that the probability of it occurring before the earth crashes into the sun is dwarfed by the probability of it occurring in the unbounded length of time that follows that event.

I suspect that you have misread what I wrote, and also mistyped here.

The set of natural numbers is infinite. The required length of a codeword to describe a particular element of a set depends on the size of the set and the probability of the element in question, not the size of the element itself. In order to uniquely specify an infinite number of possible outcomes (i.e., all natural numbers), you will need at least some codewords of infinite length. And if all of the elements have equal probability, then the shortest possible average-length code for describing them will consist entirely of infinite-length codewords.

Why would I want to show otherwise? Again, I think you have misread my post.

The issue is not the length of the numbers themselves, but the lengths of the codewords required to represent them. And this depends not on the size of the number, but on the size of the set of possible numbers you want to represent.

I suspect the issue may be related to the idea that it only requires a finite number of 0's and 9's to represent any finite natural number. However, this is actually a shorthand. We have an extra "blank" symbol, which we use to represent an infinite string of 0's. I.e., when you refer to the natural number "152," you're actually using an abbreviation for the natural number "....000152," where the zeros on the left go on for ever.

But most of the natural numbers do NOT have infinite runs of zeros on their left-hand-side! Using the same reasoning as above, you can easily show that the number of natural numbers that require more than D digits to represent is infinite. And so, since the set of natural number that require D or fewer digits is clearly finite, it follows that almost all natural numbers require an unbounded number of digits to describe! Said another way, if you are truly selecting from a uniform distribution on the natural numbers, the probability that you will choose one that can be described with a finite number of digits is zero!

11. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Yes, I am.

Correct.

No. Using the simplest rule "These numbers represent multiples of N" there are as many possible rules as there are natural numbers.

As far as rules that I can type in a finite period of time, they two are potentially unlimited.

My point is that there is no Finite member of the natural numbers that is sufficiently large that I can't describe it in a finite period of time with symbols of finite complexity.

I understand fully what you're saying, however I disagree with it because of the above statement.

Any number I select from teh pool of natural numbers must be a finite number.
    Therefore with a finite pool of symbols, with rules of finite complexity it can be described in a finite period of time. Shortening the finite period of time only requires that I increase the complexity of the rules.

This is the point that seems to have been missed widely, is that although there are in infinite number of natural numbers, there are no natural numbers of infinite length, therefore all I need in order to communicate any (finite) natural number in a finite period of time, I simply need rules and symbols that are sufficiently complex.

In algorithm terms, you could consider a universal turing machine, that accepts a description of a turing machine (a set of rules), followed by a string of data to operate on.

Talking about algorithms isn't "quibbling", it's cutting to the absolute heart of the problem. Any method (of finite precision) that you can describe can also be described as an algorithm.

And as I showed earlier, an algorithm that chooses from an infinite uniform distribution has zero probability of halting in finite time.
    Or equivalently, if an algorithm selects a random number from an infinite distribution in finite time, then the distribution is not uniform.

Apparently you need to go back and re-read the specific post that I was referring to and understand why I said that.

I'll give you a clue - how is the lifetime of a mortal relevant to an angel or a demon?
    Where in the OP does it state that there is a mortal spectator?

12. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Please give the definition of "Undefined" that you are using here. Perhaps not giving an answer is more comforting than giving a clearly problematic answer, but not by much :]

No, I see very clearly that you propose to generate symbols directly in the compressed domain. Use of the compression function is merely a convenience: since it's exactly specified by the expander function, we can conclude just as much from its operation as that of the expander, even if you don't propose to actually operate the compressor. Indeed, none of the results concerning infinite code length depend on operation of the compressor; they apply equally well to an expander-only scenario. The whole point was that the compressed representation was going to have infinite length, after all.

Your insistence on irrelevance is both incorrect and argumentative.

Then don't be.

You need to make arguments that reflect your assumptions about how the rules are generated, one way or the other. As it is, you are sweeping everything under the rug by invoking another supertask (that of choosing the rules).

A tautology. Unless you have a method for choosing uniformly from the infinite set of possible expansions in finite time, then your entire approach is circular, as it requires you to first carry out another supertask.

To put it more simply, you will never finish selecting the rules of expansion, or if you do, they won't have been uniformly chosen from all possible expansions, and so the resulting outputs won't be uniformly chosen from an infinite set.

Again, you're going in circles by subsuming the rule selection into the random number generation, and so you shoud not do this. If you can't show how to select uniformly from an infinite set with a fixed expander, how are you then going to select uniformly from an infinite set of expanders?

13. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Sure, but that's not interesting. The point is that you can't describe a uniform selection from an infinite set in a finite period of time with symbols of finite complexity. It doesn't matter that there are no infinite natural numbers; what matters is that there are infinitely many natural numbers.

If you agree with these statements, then why do you persist in claiming that you can select uniformly from the set of all natural numbers in finite time?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  14. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Trippy, what is your answer for #23? And why are you still defending compression/expanders if you later claimed that time limitations are irrelevant? Either you have infinite time or you do not. You mentioned expansion algorithms to deal with the infinite amount of time it would take to communicate an answer. Your expansion algorithms are interesting but moot!

15. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Get over yourself. I'm rapidly running out of civility, that's twice you've been rude.

I've already explained my comments in this regard. If you think i've misunderstood something that you've said? Then say so.

16. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Nah man last night I was drunk and being cheeky but I apologized (I even deleted my post!). Today I'm asking you for a straight answer when I believe that you're just being contrary and argumentative. It would've been quicker to reiterate your answer to #23 than to start quoting other posts and tell me to get over myself.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I'm only going to say this once, because i've got too many people yapping at me about the same things, which I thought I had made abundantly clear.

The fact that I'm selecting from an infinite pool is largely irrelevant.
    Any number I choose, no matter how large, is still a finite number, it just happens to be arbitrarily large.
    Any finite number can be represented by the appropriate symbolism, and the appropriate rules.
    I don't have to use a infinitely complex set of rules and symbols, I only have to use one that is arbitrarily complex, or, in other words, sufficiently complex.

The crux of the matter is this:

Any finite number can be represented, and therefore chosen

We're already well beyond the realm of numbers that can be written in their 'expanded' forms in a human life time.

The ONLY thing(s) that I am assuming is that if I select an arbitrarily large number from an infinite pool, then because that number is finite, I can represent it in a finite time with the appropriate rules and symbols.

The proof of this is obvious.

As an example - Grahams number.
    \(G=f^{64}(3)\) where \(f(n)=3\uparrow^n 3\)

There we go. In a human lifetime, substantially less than even, using appropriate symbols and notation I have written a number that is substantially greater than the number of planck volumes in the visible universe.

18. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

There is no controversy over the idea that any finite number can be represented (in fact, infinite ones can also be represented). But you haven't addressed how that relates to "choosing" a number. Indeed, you have it backwards: you need to choose a number before you can even talk about representing it. Even then, that says nothing at all about how big the set of possible choices was, which IS the crux of the matter.

You said yourself:
    Ergo, any number that you can choose in a finite time MUST have been chosen either from a finite set, or from a non-uniform distribution on an infinite set.

19. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I call bait and switch (a logical fallacy).

It is precisely the argument that is being put forward that I can not choose from an infinite pool because I can not represent an arbitraily large number in a finite period of time.

Were it otherwise, mortal lifespan would be irrelevant to the argument.

I have been saying right from the start that unchosen numbers are irrelevant, because I do not need to represent them.

I have been saying right from the start that I can represent any finite arbitrarily large number with finite symbols in a finite time and using finitely complex rules.

I said no such thing, that was Pete's post thankyou.
    http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2152147&postcount=97

20. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Pete:
    Here's the substantial difference between the coin flip model and the Potassium decay thing.

The coin flip model is statistically biased - it will (for example) always produce a sequence that ends with a "Head" - hence it being a binomial distribution.

The K-40 model is not statistically biased. You can not predict what the final digit will be, because this is not controlled by the K-40 atom.

21. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

My objection has nothing to do with the size of the numbers that get picked (although I can't speak for anyone else), but rather the size of the set of numbers that you pick from. The argument is that you cannot choose uniformly from an infinite pool because you cannot represent every possible outcome of that selection in a finite period of time.

In order to guarantee a finite representation, you must first limit the pool to be finite (or at least non-uniform).

You need to be able to represent them, otherwise how can you claim to have selected from amongst them in the first place?

Indeed, but the problem is that you can only distinguish a finite number of such outcomes using finite symbols/time/rules. In order to provide unique symbols for an infinite collection of possible outcomes, you need infinite symbols/time/rules.

And that is not necessarily a problem, provided the probability of a given number eventually decreases with the length of the symbol associated with it. Then you can still get a finite expected symbol length/time/complexity. But if you have a uniform distribution on an infinite set, then the expected length/complexity of the symbol associated with the outcome of a random selection is also infinite. Note that this result does not depend on the details of how you generate symbols, only that you do so in a way capable of uniquely representing any natural number.

To put it another way: for any (arbitrarily large) finite set of symbols/rules/time you care to specify, there will still be infinitely many natural numbers that you cannot assign symbols to. Thus, the probability of (uniformly) picking a number that you can build a symbol for is equal to zero. Again, regardless of the details of the system you specify.

I suspected as much, but you should realize that you posted it, without quotes, in post #148. Hence the confusion.

Anyway, the results about stopping times are highly pertinent: they are a much more concise, rigorous proof that you cannot select from an infinite uniform distribution in finite time. Although I personally find the Information Theoretic explanation more enlightening.

An explanation based on Kolmogorov Complexity would be very interesting as well, if anyone is strong in that area...

22. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

You don't have to neccessarily represent every possible outcome, but it does need to be possible to represent them if they are chosen - subtle distinction.

This is precisely my point, being able to represent them, and actually representing them are two different things. You've hit the nail on the head - it is requisite that it is possible to represent them, if they are selected, not that they neccessarily be represented at the time of the selection

Thiis irrelevant.
    I'm still only selecting a finite number.
    I still only need to represent that number.
    The fact that my chosen set of symbols and rules is only capable of representing a range of numbers before they become cumbersome is wholly irrelevant. I using (for example) powers of Googol instead of powers of ten, I have two options for picking the number 2.

Either:
    \(1^0 + 1^0\)

Where '1' and '0' are multiples of Googol, or multiples of powers of googol.

Or, I can right.

\(googol^n\)

Where n is some number that gives 2 as the nth root of googol.

So you're seriously suggesting that you've solved the problem:

x= (1/∞) * ∞

I don't suppose you'd care to share that proof with us?

No. There is no such thing as an infinitely complex, or long natural number.

Unless you happen to know what the largest natural number is, would you care to share that with us?

So what you're really saying is that when I inadvertantly made an out of place comment that completely contradicted everything i've said up until this point as part of a reply to another user, you didn't stop to check to see if that user had made it?

No they aren't and no they don't.
    The only requirement is that they have the capacity to be arbitrarily large, which what i've discussed does.

23. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I'll try and get back to some of the posts that i've skipped today at some time in the near future.