Rape: The Megathread

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Randwolf, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Yeah. well he also implied that women are not advocates for women's rights. Or rather his sentence did so. I know that was not the intent, but it was pretty blatant and egregious....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

well he could well be right that the percentages are higher for men advocating for womens issues than women advocating for womens issues. I know there are more women working for mens issues than there are men working for them. Men in general seem to be compleatly apathetic to there own issues. Take prostate cancer as an example, the prostate cancer campaine was actually run BY women and AIMED at women to raise money for it. How many breast cancer advocates are men? ALOT

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yeah. Sorry. My mistake.

Hey, while you're reading this, please join in my [thread=82760]Formal Debate[/thread].

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

wah! :bawl:
    I never told anyone that if someone calls them a name to slap them. I said "It's what I would do". Doesn't mean I'm right, but it is what I am going to do. If a man feels that he needs to call the cops because I slapped him, more power to him. I'll gladly meet him in court.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

agreed. Its not preocreation without consent, its SEX without consent.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

umm im a little confused,
    you agree but you dispute it?

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

you said rape is sexual assault and sex without consent. Yep, it is. procreation without consent is not rape.

11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

um no, you miss read what i wrote. I said it they MIGHT not be charged with RAPE, it might be sex without concent or just sexual assult. I dont have the ability to interprate the full act to that degree. I DO however have enough brains to be able to read the line that says "any fraudulate activity invaildates concent"

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

brains to read it, maybe. To type legible sentences, NO!
    You have no idea how easy it is to miss-read what you type.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

im sorry, to be honest i am having a really hard time keeping up with what im discussing at the moment

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

there are vicious debates going on all the way from this and is rape ever acceptable basically to what is mental incapacity through to is the US consitution wrong for giving imunity to the president and was it ok for the US goverment to try to pressure the Australian goverment to alow them to test VX gas on Australian troops

14. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I don't think the person who wrote the list has the same definition of rape as most people. A few of the things listed I would categorize as annoying, but nothing close to rape at all. As a feminist myself I agree with a majority of the comments made on the list. But I'm not sure that the person who wrote it was saying that women are always innocent in sexual crimes, but since the letter was obviously addressed to get a point across to men, it seems irrelevant to mention the crimes of women in it and it would only hurt the writers case if the viewpoint kept flipping back and forth. Don't get me wrong I don't think women are always innocent little angels and I hate double standards.

15. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

If having sex with a drunk girl is like having sex with a 10 year old...

then why can you have sex with a 20 year old drunk girl when she is your girlfriend, but not with your sober 10 year old girlfriend?

Since we all know that alcohol returns your ability to consent to that of a child.

I mean the assumption is that if there is a 'relationship' status, then the consent is already there. Along with that issue of the 'relationship' being pretty much a source of auto-consent (unless she specifically states no not tonight), we have also established that it isn't a crime unless the 'victim' brings a case (unless there is something such as a tape that surfaces, but even then unless the 'victim' claims to have been raped there isn't much that can be done about it).

Now our two assumptions are drawn from this source.

16. CIEan Registered Member

Your 20 year old girlfriend will most likely allow such a thing anyway (even if she is not drunk). But if you are not sexual partners, then you've got a problem. The law is that anyone who has sex with a girl under 13 is committing what is termed statutory rape, drunk or not. And why is that? Because she is not mature enough to consent to intercourse.

17. Bells Staff Member

Do you try hard to be this dense? Or does it come naturally to you?

Seriously, I am curious.

The point of those posts is something that has repeatedly escaped you. Just like a 10 year old girl cannot give consent (legally), nor can someone who is so incapacitated that they cannot understand or know what they are consenting to. Do ya get it now? It's not that hard..

What makes you assume that?

So if your wife is asleep or unconscious, it's ok to have sex with her in her unconscious state (ie. she does not wake up) because you think the "consent is already there"?

There's no such thing as "auto-consent". Both need to consent, either through words or actions and while they are capable or in a position to consent. Believe it or not, your girlfriend is not your sex toy. She can initiate sex too and if you don't want it, she should then back off.

Depends on each case. The link to that post dealt with a special issue where the girl was quite severely mentally disabled. She did not understand what was happening to her. Therefore she could not have consented to it. So others acted in her best interest.. they being her parents and the police. She didn't have to come forward. The crime that was committed was there for all to see. And all did since it was distributed to students and on the internet by those who did it. Was quite appalling and sickening.

But here is something that needs to be kept in mind. A Queensland criminologist has warned that similar attacks against girls can become more prevalent due to the desire for peer group approval grows. So we can be privy to more of these types of videos showing up on sites like youtube or distributed in schools via mobile phones:

Bond University criminologist Prof. Paul Wilson said Thursday sex crimes and the sharing of recorded attacks will become more widespread. He said young males were motivated to distribute photographic evidence of themselves committing serious crimes because of their desire for peer group approval.

"The technology allows people to show off their exploits now, and clearly we're going to see more of these occur," Wilson said. "There are those who are still stupid enough to record memories of illegal acts like they were holiday snaps."

Wilson said one of the most disturbing aspects of the recent cases was the victims were "being harmed twice," as others were watching the rape scene after the attack.

"But the most worrying aspect ... is that there are young males who think sexual aggression is OK," he said.

(Source)

18. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

You tell me...

Asguard said:
    Then you replied:
    So if Asguard can have sex with his unconcious partner, then why can't I? I mean like you said, "it would be damn hard to prosecute".

Also, if we follow along with your analogy of a drunk girl being similar to a child (let's just say 10 years old), and you have already established that it is fine to have sex with the drunk girlfriend (who is in the same state of being able to consent as the 10 year old is sober), then how can you say that it is wrong to have sex with a 10 year old that is your girlfriend (as Asguard and you were saying that it is okay as long as they are your girlfriend and she doesn't say that she was raped in court)?

19. Bells Staff Member

It must come naturally to you.

Yes, it would be hard to prosecute but the act (having sex with an unconscious partner) itself is a crime. And yes, some have gone to jail as a result, even with the victim saying it was not a rape and that they did not mind. In some cases, juries can be told to disregard the words of the victim and to concentrate on the crime as it applies to law.

And yes, having sex with a 10 year old girl is also a crime.

Why? Because neither can give consent.

Honestly, my two year old could understand this.

20. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

If neither can consent, and neither claim to be 'raped', then why the double standard?

Also, if having sex with an unconcious partner is so wrong, then why was I the only one pointing that out to Asguard?

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

cutsie aparently bells did some back checking on the list and it was written by one of those lesbian "all men are rapist" feminsts

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

ABS, i fucked up the way i wrote that.

I KNOW she doesnt care because we have spoken about sex while asleep and we both agreed that nither of us cares as long as we arnt REALLY tired and get woken up.

The reason i specifide she was my regular partner is because wether she is to drunk to know WHOS dick she is playing with she isnt going to wake up in the morning and regret it with me because she does that while sober to.

I did this to seperate the case from someone taking advatage of someone else who they wouldnt CHOSE to have sex with under normal cirumstances

23. angrybellsprout paultard since 2002 Registered Senior Member

I don't think that bells did much of any back checking. Afterall, the link that she posted to claim her 'back checking' was the ED page, and nothing was linked to the actual blog. While ED does provide a lot of screenshots and accurate quotes, the fact that Bells used their description of the sexist idiot is pretty telling...

http://bitingbeaver.blogspot.com/