Words have no Meaning

Isn't this an essentialist review?

Totally. In fact, I venture to say that discussion with someone whose viewpoints we do not yet know in depth or whose viewpoints we know to be fundamentally different than our own,
is impossible unless we assume an essentialist/objectivist common ground.

But then I wonder -from the perspective of a relativist/constructivist/holist-what's the point of talking to such a person ...

Totally. In fact, I venture to say that discussion with someone whose viewpoints we do not yet know in depth or whose viewpoints we know to be fundamentally different than our own,

But then I wonder -from the perspective of a relativist/constructivist/holist-what's the point of talking to such a person ...

Makes one wonder why philosophers of different schools bother to talk to each other.

1) the highlighted portion seems like a potential doorway.
2) who isn't such a person?
3) the development of skill in communication and the fleshing out of one's own ideas and even discovery of one's own ideas, our blind spots, leaps in logic and assumptions we might not have known we had.

OK. So there are 2 images.

I look at a car and there are 2 images.

The first is a function of the senses, the latter is a manifestation of the mind's.

Do I see both of these?

If I don't, what makes the first one an image?

OK. So there are 2 images.

I look at a car and there are 2 images.

No.

As I said, there are not 2 images.
There can be a second image iff one introspectively considers the original image.

The first is a function of the senses, the latter is a manifestation of the mind's.

Correct.

Do I see both of these?

If you choose to.

If I don't, what makes the first one an image?

The fact that your sensory apparatuses are receiving incoming data.

Back