Why would evolution create a higher state of consciousness?

Your mind doesn´t need controlling to function, it is very independent by itself. We have to give power to our minds in order to function normally.
But you know that you don´t have control over your mind when you want it to do something, and it doesn´t. Like for example that focusing method I gave earlier; it is a very difficult task to concentrate on a single thing even for a day, your mind simply won´t let you.

Your mind will always be wondering on how your present experiences are related to your past experiences; and if not, then it is thinking about future results of the present actions. You mind cannot be at ease at the present moment, and that is what consciousness is all about; to be able to control your mind in order to use it, not be used by it.

What Oli said..
Where then, if "I" am not my mind, recides the self ?

I answer you both with a question. If you try to perform the concentration method, and you are not able to do so, because your mind doesn´t let you; is it you who is not letting yourself do what you want to do?

Last edited:
I answer you both with a question. If you try to perform the concentration method, and you are not able to do so, because your mind doesn´t let you; is it you who is not letting yourself do what you want to do?

"Your mind doesnt let you" is the flawed part. You are just not able to concentrate enough then.

Your mind "doesn't let you"?
My mind has no will (is not separate from me) of its own.
If I'm not concentrating it's because I'm human enough to suffer distractions.

Your mind "doesn't let you"?
My mind has no will (is not separate from me) of its own.
If I'm not concentrating it's because I'm human enough to suffer distractions.

Your identification with your mind is frightening :eek: :p

Your identification with your mind is frightening :eek: :p

Because my mind is what makes my character - if I lose a leg or an arm am I still not me?
Yes.
If I lose my memories am I still the me I am now?
No.
I would behave differently, react to people differently etc.
My mind is myself.

Because my mind is what makes my character - if I lose a leg or an arm am I still not me?
Yes.
If I lose my memories am I still the me I am now?
No.
I would behave differently, react to people differently etc.
My mind is myself.

Man what a bad buddhist you would be :D

Too right - when I'm in the mood: no monkey mind, I have octopus mind.
Conversely I've surprised some Buddhists half to death with my "wisdom" when in another frame of mind.
What can I say? I'm uncategorisable. :)

I believe not, but you might want to believe otherwise if you want to you know?

I know, and you can believe what you want to. But we're on a discussion forum right ?
So what part of the body contains the self according to you ?

Okay, what about the fact that meditation makes you smarter and gives you a better concentration? If meditation consist in no thinking at all, how come you become smarter?

Two faults:
A) no where does it say "smarter": just that the workings of the brain change and
B) "no thinking"? When the article specifically states
Both groups were asked to meditate, specifically on unconditional compassion.
So they were meditating on that subject while thinking nothing?
Dichotomous?

Two faults:
A) no where does it say "smarter": just that the workings of the brain change and
B) "no thinking"? When the article specifically states
So they were meditating on that subject while thinking nothing?
Dichotomous?

They practiced non-thinking during their entire lifes; just because they were asked to think about compassion when they meditated during the experiment doesn´t change that fact.

And yes, you can feel the compassion, and yet don´t think at all.

What ?? Just name a bodypart :bugeye:

An eternal body part? :confused:

You see, you are free to believe whatever you want; as for me, I rather experiment and see for myself which side is for real. As long as I know, all the prophets and all the enlightened men have spoken about reincarnation and the eternity of our true self; I want to experience it for myself in order to trust that. The methods are certainly there... As J. Krishnamurti said: "It doesn´t matter if you die for it"...

They practiced non-thinking during their entire lifes; just because they were asked to think about compassion when they meditated during the experiment doesn´t change that fact.

And yes, you can feel the compassion, and yet don´t think at all.

Feeling compassion is not the same as concentrating upon unconditional compassion, as they were asked to do.
And if you're not thinking at all how do you know what you're feeling?

Back