Universal Simulation

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by TruthSeeker, Nov 25, 2013.

1. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I watched that again before replying. Brains doing the best they can to make sense of reality is far different from a simulation. I do see how 1 might think it is a simulation. IF we are in a simulation, perhaps brains are set up so that we cannot properly perceive reality.

<>

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I/m not so ruse about that. As Seth said "if our hallucinations agree, we call it reality". But while we agree on our reality, each of us has just a little different experience. Not everyone sees the color red exactly the same, although we can agree that what we see is red.
    And of course there is relativity, the Doppler effect can actually be measured with precise instruments, a wave length which is physically compressed will record a higher frequency, but from a different frame of reference an observer may experience a different version of reality.

An old story ( I believe it was Einstein) paints a picture of two musicians some distance apart hearing the whistle of a train traveling at high speed between them. The next day they meet and talk about the sound . One musician claims the pitch of the whistle as "A", and proving it with his tone meter, the other disagrees and claims hearing a tone of "B" and proving it with his tone meter.
    Who is correct and who is lying? The answer is that neither was lying as proved by their tone meters, but both were incorrect as a result of the Doppler effect.
    Thus their actual reality differed at that specific time, and both realities were different from actual reality, relatively speaking.

Even if they had been aware of the Doppler effect, they would still have observed their individual relative experience of the sound.
    They might have come to a conscensus that the actual tone was B flat at the source itself, but only a traveler on the train would have heard the correct pitch as B flat..

A fascinating question of how we perceive reality. Three real but different experiences of reality depending on frame of reference.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

^^^
    Regardless of differing perceptions, there is only 1 reality. Reality includes your perceptions, my perceptions, everyone's perceptions & whatever actually is.

Both musicians were correct in what sound reached their ears. Reality includes both their experiences.

People experiencing things differently does not constitute a simulation.

I never agreed to anything.

<>

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I never said we were in a simulation. I stated that According to Tegmark, the universe is mathematical in essence.
    Our physical world is a collection of values and mathematical functions.
    That does not make it less real to us.

8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

When I volunteered in a local theatre, I thought how great it would be if we could put on our plays in a holodeck. Then I thought the actors could give a better performance if their memories were temporarily suspended.

<>