Tesla coils

Status
Not open for further replies.
interested as you...

let me know about your success in getting the right informations sending me an e-mail.

Flaminio,
italy

High voltage electronics is one of my favorite hobbies. I've so far built three Tesla coils and two Oudin coils (very similar, only with primary and secondary windings in series). I can do my best to answer any questions you might have. Chaqur's link above is a good place to start though.

Construction is very simple, theoretically. The tricky part tends to be finding/making the parts, and the real pain is winding the big secondary coil. 5,000 turns of #32 magnet wire is nothing to decry as simple.

The largest coil I've built produces, by my calculations, about 600,000 volts. I can draw sparks nearly 30 inches long on a dry day.

Death ray? Microwave antipersonnel weapons were toyed with off and on by the US Army throughout the 1950s-70s, but nothing ever materialized. Power supply was too much of a problem, as was antenna size. They would have worked well in static position, but their support equipment and size made them unweildy and impractical. That's the only legitimized version of a "death ray" that I know of.

Those coils are some mean anti-burglary devices:cool:
You want your steak medium or well done ?

Originally posted by Stokes Pennwalt
Death ray? Microwave antipersonnel weapons were toyed with off and on by the US Army throughout the 1950s-70s, but nothing ever materialized. Power supply was too much of a problem, as was antenna size. They would have worked well in static position, but their support equipment and size made them unweildy and impractical. That's the only legitimized version of a "death ray" that I know of.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,458681,00.html

yes there is :) not a Death ray, though, more of an OWOWOW! HOT! ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back