sugaring

sculptor

Valued Senior Member
Tapping the maple trees. Lately, 1/2 the amount in the buckets is ice, the other 1/2 liquid sap.
My guess is that as the sap freezes, the water freezes out first, leaving richer/sweeter sap as liquid---

Does this seem accurate?

(thinking of dumping the ice and only heating the liquid sap)

Tapping the maple trees. Lately, 1/2 the amount in the buckets is ice, the other 1/2 liquid sap.
My guess is that as the sap freezes, the water freezes out first, leaving richer/sweeter sap as liquid---

Does this seem accurate?

yes, but you'll lose some of the sugar

arctic ice from freezing of sea water still has some salt in it.

Does this seem accurate?

Yes, this I gather is the principle of "eiswein". Should work.

Yesterday I broke a piece off of an icicle formed from the wound of a broken twig on a boxelder* - it was quite sweet. That has been my past experience as well - woods candy.
In theory sugar should be left behind to some degree, and icicles are not good models of a bucket (kind of the opposite), but I'd check before dumping the ice.

(*in case: boxelders are taxonomically maples, and can be tapped - considerably more boildown is required than for a sugar maple. What I was tasting was concentrated sugar, from a boxelder - the sap is not that sweet).

long ago
I read:
If you give us a boy of 7 we can make a knight of him, after 18, never.

that being "said"

Age in and of it'self is a poor indicator. Some people assume responsibility early in their lives, while some avoid it as long as possible.
One olympic medalist started shooting in a 4h youth program when she was 8
Wrong thread?

Back