souls...................oh Boris

Boris~

Ah-Ha! I see maybe part of where you and I are differing in our definition of "soul" - this part: "...what we internally perceive of ourselves as individuals does not change when we leave our bodies... "

I WISH for it to be true, that I would know who I was after death, be able to recognize fellow "souls" that had died previously...but I can't convince myself of it.

Going back to my "lake" or "cloud" analogy, I think dying is somewhat akin to dumping a cup of water into the lake - it mixes with the rest of the water and loses it's identity as THAT cup of water, and merely becomes a part of the rest of the water. Then again, I also believe that it may be possible that the personality might be strong enough to "freeze" those particular water molecules that were in that cup in a fair semblance of it's original form, and thereby retaining most of the sense of self, at least for a time. This is the only way I can explain visits from deceased family members and such (which my father's side of the family seems to have a strong ability in this area, and I believe these are real occurances, not just wish-fufillment, etc).

As far as the soul consuming an infinite amount of energy, I think it's more like it IS a form of energy in and of itself. Cycling through body after body, incarnation after incarnation, ad infinitum.

Whops, gotta run. More later. :)

MoonCat,

Okay. Lesse. Do viruses have souls? I haven't really thought about it, but I suppose they might. They are alive, so I guess if a houseplant has one, the virus would also.

Uh-oh. But are viruses alive, truly? Until a virus finds its way, as a lifeless particle, into a living cell, it is just a dormant piece of DNA or RNA wrapped up in a sheath of proteins. In fact, if we strip the virus of its protein coat, it is still equally viable, although it will be vulnerable and might need our help penetrating a host cells' membrane. So are you now claiming that chemical molecules have souls?

"If you can't measure something, you cannot be aware of it" - now I have to disagree with that one. Cave man was surely aware of gravity, but I doubt he had any way of measuring it.
You just have to feel, see, taste, or any other way sense something to be aware of it.

You do not seem to understand that observation itself is measurement. In fact, in the lingo of quantum mechanics, observation is synonymous to measurement (which is where quantum indeterminacy comes from -- while observing something, you are interacting with it, and as a result it no longer has the same state following observation as it had prior to observation, and even having measured it you still don't know its current state.) The senses we possess are merely natural measuring devices. Our retinas measure impinging photons. Our ears measure changes in air pressure. When you say that something can be observed, it is synonymous to saying that something can be measured. In science, we merely extend our natural sensory apparatus with artificial senses, so as to be able to see beyond our natural limitations. To help us interpret the output of artificial sensors, we quantify the process of measurement -- but that does not detract from the fact that measurement remains merely an observation. The other distinction between sensory and instrumented perception that may be confusing you, is that the first is subjective while the second is objective -- scientific instruments merely report measurement; they do not have a capability of interpreting their result beyond what we've programmed into them. Thus, at the core, scientific instruments are unbiased, and any observer will agree on what the readings of an instrument are, none of which is true for measurements made through our senses. But again, despite all of these qualifications, measurement is still observation, any way you cut it.

Now, given that we currently have scientific instruments far outstripping every single human sensory faculty in all respects including range, accuracy, and sensitivity -- our instruments should be able to measure everything including what our senses can sense, and far beyond. Therefore, if a phenomenon had not yet been measured through instruments, you cannot claim that it has been around and can be measured through your senses -- because collectively, world-wide and over several centuries, there have probably been made more, and more accurate, empirical observations through scientific instruments than you will make in your entire lifetime.

Regarding the soul splitting - yup, I think it could be split even more, take schizophrenea for example.

Then you have problems with immortality, as outlined in a paragraph addressed to both you and Tony in a previous message.

My general feeling is that outside of a lifetime (lifetime meaining when the soul is attached to an individual body) the "souls" of all the currently non-living mix and mingle with eachother, and rarely remain 100% intact from incarnation to incarnation. Does that help any?

All right, so you don't subscribe to the classical doctrine -- this much seems certain. But, what you describe is not much of an afterlife, since identity is not preserved. Also, I'd love to hear your grounds for such a "general feeling".

What I meant by individuality is this: individual as in seperate from the others, as in a discrete entity, at least for the duration of life. Yes, those single cell gobs in my sink are individuals, you can take one and take a second one, and you can clearly see that they are seperate from eachother. They might behave identically, but that behavior what I meant when I said "personality".

I'm still confused. If bacteria and humans have the same souls, then what is left of a human after death is nothing more than what is left of a bacterium after death? Everything relating to our human behavior is lost? Gee, not very reassuring :D (at least as far as afterlife is concerned)

Also, dead bacteria are just as individual as live ones. They don't seem to lose their individuality through death; conversely they don't gain their individuality when being constructed from individual atoms. So, again, what is it exactly that the soul captures of living matter, that dead matter does not possess?

Coming around to your android...well, as soon as you can ACTUALLY present me with an android that can argue the state of his soul, I'll take up that argument. My argument is that I don't think it will happen (building a sophisticated enough machine that it becomes "self-aware").

Clever evasion, but you and I both know that this is probably not going to happen within our lifetimes (though it might...) What I ask you to do is pretend as if you are already faced with such an android, whom I will represent, and consider what attributes he doesn't have that a soul would give him (that you have, for example).

I don't know, I'm thinking about this, and it seems to me that an android wouldn't have a soul, the way I believe a soul exists....

So, I'm the android. Convince me that my soul is different from yours. I don't see a problem with my body pumping electricity while yours pumps blood -- I can still think, feel, emote, believe, introspect, meditate, and perceive like you do. If you lost your body below the neck to an accident, and had an android body attached to your head as a prosthesis, would you have any less of a soul than you do now?

Have you ever heard the saying "only a being with a soul would wonder if they had one"? Of course that doesn't prove anything, but still, food for thought.

Well, you could say that only a being with superman's powers would wonder if they had them. Of course that doesn't prove anything either.

------------------
I am; therefore I think.

Stretch,

Well, I have a number of things to say. First of all, I don't think we should believe what's convenient -- but what's most reasonable. As I've been arguing so consistently, my cold and loveless universe is a far more reasonable thing to accept than some fantasy. I understand your dreams and your desire for mystery and magic, and I've shared these when I was young and naiive. Thing is, I grew up and found that there is no magic, only mystery. In my opinion, mystery alone is good enough, though. But if you just can't live without magic, then you have my sincere condolences.

With respect to love, yes indeed it is just an aspect of human emotional response. That doesn't make love any less enjoyable or overwhelming, it just explains love's true nature.

And as for sense of purpose, I beg to differ. I don't believe any religion or faith whatsoever present anywhere near a convincing case -- in fact they are all just systems of fables. If you find a sense of purpose through taking a fable literally, then I'd seriously question the worth of such a discovery.

------------------
I am; therefore I think.

Tab,

It's all very cute. You may very well have the beginnings of the next big religion in your hands. Be careful, before they start calling you Tablariddim the Great, or attempt to crucify you or something! :D :D :D

Though as usual, from me personally you can expect nothing less than an emphatic shrug. Until you lay out the reasoning through which you arrived at this "theory", a shrug is all you'll get.

But, even before you try, already there are difficulties.

Imagine the possible existence of an invisible type of energy, one with even smaller molecules than light.
Imagine that the invisible energy travels faster than light. Like the light is a body of water and the invisible energy is the wind.
Imagine this energy present everywhere and reverbarating through the whole of time.Relatively quickly.
(like the winds above the oceans)

Ok, so far what you describe is not all that different from the "luminiferous ether" of the 19th-century physics. There's never been found any supporting evidence for this type of a phenomenon. (though originally it was indeed a valid theory, endeavoring to explain the medium through which electromagnetic disturbances such as light propagate. It held up until Einstein proved that everything is relative, and Maxwell's equations were recast in terms of fields and vector potentials.) So far, what you describe is still somewhat plausible, although extremely questionable at this point in time. And, to reiterate, there is absolutely no supporting evidence left for this idea to stand on.

At the moment of conception or generation of any lifeform, a single grain of invisible energy enters the originating cell and proceeds to grow with the body.

Now we hit a real problem. Just how does this little "molecule" of your energy know that a conception is taking place, and where? If you remove our human cognitive filter, the entire universe is just a jumble of constantly interacting particles and atoms, with no shape or structure at all. It is only when you allow the inductive human mind to start observing and forming generalizations, that a structure emerges. But it's still only present in our minds, not in reality, and definitely not where non-sentient entities are concerned!

The invisible energy in a lifeform, while being within and without the body, is always connected to the universal energy and constantly transmitting and receiving information. From time itself.

Ok, now you are getting vague beyond vague. What do you mean, "from time itself"? Time is a complex notion that combines the notions of rate and growing entropy. But it's not a "place" from which you can receive anything.

I think that this intelligent energy is what might prompt individual genes to evolve. Perhaps explaining the occassional rapid pace of evolution one witnesses from time to time.

Evolution is not an intelligent, nor a deliberate process. It does not have any goals, and it does not have any sense of direction. It simply happens, similar to how the water simply circulates through Earth's atmosphere and surface. The circulating water does not intend to produce cyclones or build glaciers or supply the needs of freshwater organisms; all of those effects are merely a result of totally mechanistic processes of the water cycle. The same is true of evolution -- it is merely a process. Somewhere, I've compared life to crystals, and even said that life can be considered as a special type of crystal. Well, I am beginning to think that it's actually a great analogy. Just as crystals do, life perpetuates itself through the energy and materiel it gets from its environment. Just like crystals, life is complex and can change its properties depending on environmental factors. The only two major distinctions between life and crystals may be that life is organic and much more complex -- but the complexity can be seen merely as a result of first chemistry and then evolution as well as the much greater functional flexibility that organic molecules possess when compared to crystal lattices. We are still, just like crystals, dependent upon a proper supply of materiel to grow and multiply, and upon a steady inflow of energy from our environment to drive those processes. Maybe, this analogy will help you gain intuition about the nature of evolution -- in that it is not much less blind or mechanistic than the processes through which crystals emerge and grow.

The power (if any) of prayer, wishes, curses, blessings and genuine supernatural phenomena probably works by the same medium.

It's good that you qualified that statement with the "if any". Otherwise, you'd be in for trouble ;). But seeing as you don't profess any concrete evidence for any of those phenomena, one only has to question the reality or indeed even the need for such an proposal.

I don't think that souls can have memories but what they might contain is the 'essence' of 'you', the real you, whether you're in touch with the real you or not.Perhaps explaining child prodigies.

It's true that I'm not aware of any studies on child prodigies (not my area of interest) -- though I'd be very surprised if there aren't some theories about it already. Though I wouldn't hold my breath for real explanations until we know much more about the brain and cognition than we do even today. But were there a purely neuro-computational explanation available today, what other possible evidence would lead you to such a suggestion?

Also, what you say isn't compatible with out-of-body experiences, nor with paranormal phenomena -- since in both cases the "souls" seem to retain memory. Am I to take it to mean that you don't believe in either class of phenomena?

I'm also not at all clear on what you mean by "essense of you, the real you". Sounds much too vague and elusive; perhaps you could qualify a bit?

And above all, remember what I said at the beginning of this post. I want not just idle speculation, but your reasoning behind your suggestions. Other than that,

Welcome to the sandstorm! :)

------------------
I am; therefore I think.

MoonCat,

Going back to my "lake" or "cloud" analogy, I think dying is somewhat akin to dumping a cup of water into the lake - it mixes with the rest of the water and loses it's identity as THAT cup of water, and merely becomes a part of the rest of the water. Then again, I also believe that it may be possible that the personality might be strong enough to "freeze" those particular water molecules that were in that cup in a fair semblance of it's original form, and thereby retaining most of the sense of self, at least for a time.

But personality is entirely a property of the brain, and not the soul. Even the split-brain example ought to have convinced you of that. In general, brain trauma can alter personality in all sorts of ways -- sometimes even to the point that even close relatives don't recognize the person. But beyond neuropathology, you ought to be aware that drugs, for example, can alter personality (sometimes permanently!) -- and in general, any psychoactive substances in your body, from medication to hormones, directly impact your personality. Are these not all redundant enough indications that personality is singularly a property of the brain, and directly depends on the particular state of the brain at any instant in time? But if so, when the brain dies, personality dies with it -- there's no imprinting on anything, since otherwise we wouldn't observe personality changes in response to brain trauma, among other examples.

Oh, and about that energy tidbit. It doesn't matter if the soul is more like matter or more like energy. What matters is that it takes an expenditure of <u>additional</u> energy to <u>change state</u>. Inertia, in my opinion, can be best understood as persistence of state; without such persistence no process could occur (since any process implies a progression from state to state, and therefore states must be defined in order for processes to exist.) However, if matter, or energy, or whatever spiritual stuff that the souls are made of, naturally persist in their state -- they will need additional energy to overcome that persistence and change state. Thus, if the souls are to exist indefinitely, and actually function (as opposed to being completely frozen) -- they will need an infinite amount of <u>extra</u>, external, energy.

------------------
I am; therefore I think.

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited March 14, 2000).]

Hey Boris ya driving me nuts.
Joke OK.

Unlike you I'm hard pressed to find the time to type this let alone keep up with the flow of the conversation. And yep I think the profs angrrrrrrry.

Sorry buddy I was just playing a bit of a game with you and stirring the pot. I have breezed over your original post and do wish I had more time to talk to you about it.

In essence you already know my stance as a believer on this without me dialoguing in great detail.

Someone said something along the lines of cells, bacteria and androids and their soul capacity (if I can coin a phrase). I believe if you look at what Tiassa and I are mulling over in her sundry mumbles post that you will get a hint of why I believe we stand alone amongst all creation (yuk, big bad dirty word to Boris) as beings with a soul. And yes it comes back to the creation debate, in summary:

We were created by God to have meaningful dialogue with Him. For this to be the case he endowed us with attributes and abilities beyond that of the creatures that surround us. We have the capacity to decide beyond basic survival instincts, we have the ability to forward plan, we have the ability and choice of free will, we have the capacity for recognition of right and wrong. And from my knowledge I don't think we have yet discovered a creature that was created with these same abilities.

Sorry Boris a lot of the "C" swear word was used, LOL.

God created this wonderful creature for a meaningful and purposeful relationship with him. These are some of the intangible aspects of our abilities that define what the soul is.

Take care all

Hydromann (ex Tony H2o)

I edditted thus nute so that nobuddy wood thank thut I cant sppell propper. :D

[This message has been edited by Tony H2o (edited March 14, 2000).]

Tony,

Yeah, I understand about the time thing. Sorry bud!

(And by the way, we've both already tried to tell you before, but apparently you missed it: Tiassa is a male. As in man, guy, him -- you catch the drift? :))

As for souls, it's clear that not everyone who even believes in them agrees about what they are or who has them. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to try and live with this confusion (what choice is there?)

In your case, only humans have souls due to our unique abilities. Well, I'd like to hear what you think about my reduction of our unique abilities to mere physiology. The fact that on Earth we may be the first species to exhibit certain higher cognitive functions, does not invite a conclusion that such functions are not due to our brain architecture, but in fact owe their existence to some "soul".

And, actually all of the abilities you mentioned are not unique to humans. Even crows can forward-plan, as you put it. And all apes both operate on more than just instinct, and are capable of choice and free will. Additionally, even dogs can recognize right from wrong (as any dog owner will tell you.) What is unique to us is abstract thought in the form of language (at least it is unique so far as we are aware; we still aren't sure about dolphins, though.) And, Homo Sapiens does not seem to be the first species of the genus to exhibit abstract thought. Even neanderthals were capable of building and using sophisticated tools -- which testifies strongly toward abstract thought.

------------------
I am; therefore I think.

Boris,

(And by the way, we've both already tried to tell you before, but apparently you missed it: Tiassa is a male. As in man, guy, him -- you catch the drift? :))

Slow uptake speed :D

Boy = Doodle
Girl = No Doodle
Boy = Doodle
Girl = No Doodle
Boy = Doodle
Girl = No Doodle
Boy = Doodle
Girl = No Doodle
Boy = Doodle
Girl = No Doodle

Tiassa = Boy
Lori = Girl
Tiassa = Boy
Lori = Girl
Tiassa = Boy
Lori = Girl
Tiassa = Boy
Lori = Girl
Tiassa = Boy
Lori = Girl

Boris = ????? :D

Yep, I think I got it now.

Later on the rest of it OK.

All care

Tony H2o

Oh my GOD!!!!!!!!.......DON'T GIRLS HAVE DOODLES?????? How do they wee?
:)

------------------
work to LIVE...don't live to WORK.

Originally posted by Rambler:
Oh my GOD!!!!!!!!.......DON'T GIRLS HAVE DOODLES?????? How do they wee?
:)

Geez, another sad case of a topic with some merrit going to the wall of slap happy humor.

And by the way Rammbler don't you know anything?????

Girls don't wee they urinate just like the queen dosen't fart she passes wind. And besides that my mom told me that it comes out their belly buttons. :D

Man, and Boris thought I was thick.

All care,

Tony H2o

:D :D :D :D :D

Hi Boris,

Later as promised but very rushed and not greatly thought out. Have fun.......

Quote Boris:
In your case, only humans have souls due to our unique abilities. Well, I'd like to hear what you think about my reduction of our unique abilities to mere physiology. The fact that on Earth we may be the first species to exhibit certain higher cognitive functions, does not invite a conclusion that such functions are not due to our brain architecture, but in fact owe their existence to some "soul".

Yes, mere physiology. As before I have only breezed over it but knowing your stance on a number of issues this "mere physiology" was attained through evolution of the Homo........ various species. Now I don't quite remember saying that our unique and higher cognitive functions were not related to our brain architecture, so I will assume that you are not trying to put words into my mouth. In fact I would agree that the way our grey matter has been assembled is phenomenal and that a lot of functions, emotions etc are as a result. But I come across a snag in assuming that evolution played the role of our higher cognitive functions. Now as an example I'm going to do the Dinosaur v's Human thing and without the time to check numbers I am really rounding off.

Dinosaurs: Pea brained, muscle bound Goliaths who according to evolutionary theory roamed the face of terra firma for millions of years. Now notice the pea brained aspect, but that's being unkind and discriminating against the dino dudes. In reality some were fairly cluey such as pack hunters like raptors and had basic problem solving capacity. These creatures "evolved" over a significant time frame into bigger and meaner beasties. I mean they evolved supposedly over millions of years of fairly stable climatic conditions and we haven't yet dug up an ancient VW hippy dino dude bus. Get the picture? Millions of years to become a highly evolved killing machine regardless of size and still incapable of higher cognitive functions. I mean their brains are like what Boris referred to as our old brain which controls the subconscious things such as heart beats, breathing, bladder retention........ What ! No new brains evolved over the sizeable time domination of the planets surface?

Homo.......various: Very brainy, (except when muscle bound :D ). Now according to evolutionary theory again, we have had the wonderful honour of being the dominant species on the face of the earth for thousands of years, NOT millions. And in that significantly smaller time frame for evolutionary processes to take place...... Hey presto, the VW hippy homo various dude bus. But wait there's more.......for a once off deal we will even throw in higher cognitive function than the dino dudes ended up with.......and get this, in a shorter time frame. WOW WHAT A DEAL, how could any pond scum bacterial slime refuse such an offer?

Now I know Boris is going to point out physiology differences etc, and yeah some of the above is tongue in cheek. But stop and think outside of established circles for a second and regardless of physical variance the sheer capacity of time variation should easily make up the difference according to evolutionary thinking anyway.

Well go figure hey?

Quote Boris:
And, actually all of the abilities you mentioned are not unique to humans. Even crows can forward-plan, as you put it. And all apes both operate on more than just instinct, and are capable of choice and free will. Additionally, even dogs can recognise right from wrong (as any dog owner will tell you.) What is unique to us is abstract thought in the form of language (at least it is unique so far as we are aware; we still aren't sure about dolphins, though.) And, Homo Sapien does not seem to be the first species of the genus to exhibit abstract thought. Even neanderthals were capable of building and using sophisticated tools -- which testifies strongly toward abstract thought.

Yeah, my dog knows right from wrong when she's caught raiding the trash can. Ask any dog trainer and they will tell you the same. Dolphin clickity lingo, OK read this..

Click....click....squeak.....squeak....clickity, click.......squeeeeeeeek, wirrrrrrrrrr.

And no I did not say... Blankity, blank, blank. :)

But seriously folks, I don't doubt in the slightest that they have good cognitive functions and do posses communication capacity. However I still believe that we as humans have a capacity above and beyond that of these most wonderful creatures in God's creation. The capacity to realise and comprehend the vastness of all of creation and to reflect upon this in a unique way, unique to human kind and imparted by God.

Body, Soul and Spirit.

All care...

Tony H2o

Tony,
What the hell was that?????? (On the previous page)

P.S. the queen doesn't even pass wind, too many heads up there for anything to pass :))
------------------

[This message has been edited by Rambler (edited March 14, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rambler (edited March 14, 2000).]

Hi Rambles,

I assure you my friend it was all in good humor and jest. A moment of light hearted frivilous stupidity directed at building upon your good humor.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Thus the cheesy grinners.....

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

And let the world go sane as we all go nuts.

P.S Sorry about the outbursts I sometimes get overhappy.

Ram man (or woman, because I sometimes get that bit wrong).

Heads up ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH SCREEEEEMMMMMINNNN OUTRAGEOUS.

And to think I'm a monarchist, what would Elizabeth and Charles say?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

H2o

Cool, I thought that was the case, I'm a little slow when it comes to subtle humor :)

P.S. I am equiped with a doodle.
Are you really a monarchist? you know one of the heads in that royal BEEE-HIND is our very own PM (aus I mean)....useless tool rect the whole referendumn (better stop before I get out of hand)
How do you add the cheesy grins?

------------------

So Ram man,

I know this is going way off topic but you don't love King Johnny Howard?

BTW I am a monarchist but not of the right royaly outrageous British royals.

As you may have picked up from other posts of mine I'm a follower or a monarchist for the King of Kings. In simple terms I'm a God loving, BA disciple of Christ.

:D now go to the edit button at the top of my message and you will see how its done. Boris taught me that one.

All care

Tony H2o

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D WOOOOO HOOOOOOO I have progressed *impressed with self* thanks for the help.

Johny...#$%#@%&&&^^%*))_)_*^^, and *^^&(())^%$#, oh and lets not leave out *&*^%$*)_

no I'm not a fan. Are you in Aus or UK?

------------------

Rambler,

I'll pass on your comments to my little uncle Johnny back here in the land of Oz.

Now why the heck would a dinkum Aussie want to live in Pommy land? Rain, cold and crowded v's wide open spaces and 40deg C summer days.

Ahhhh the Great South Land that none can match.

Wide open plains and driving rains.

Rugged coastal shore and rich folk lore.

What other place would one rather be?

Heaven?

All care....

Tony H2o

Indeed, alot of my friends are moving to the UK to work. I can't understand it, sure I could go there and make 3 times more then I am here (wife wouldn't be too happy) but money isn't everything. Sun sand and SURF is all I ask for in a country, even Johny can't take that away....except maybe charge 10% more for it.
Beside if I want to look at a pom I just have to go to bondi...LOL

:D :D :D :D :D -- bet you wish you didn't show me that one. :D

P.S. Tell uncle Johny he can *&@&*^^%%!@*(#) himself and his mate Beazley too.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rambler (edited March 15, 2000).]

Yeah....Now we are talkin. Sun, sand and surf what more could a person want, well except for a mortgage, car loan, 50 hrs a week job, a wife and kids to feed, keep dressed and schooled....Awww heck the dream almost turned into a nightmare. :D (joke OK, love the misses and kids to bits)

I blame them both King Johnny and the rolly polly guy Beazley. Oh darn, I just had a terrible thought. Boris could prove that people don't have a heart or soul by using politicians as an example, especially some Aussie ones.....AGGGGHHHHH, defeted in argument by my own stupidity.

Oh boy, we could go on like this for hours while all the septic tanks are sleeping.

Bondi, I've surfed there, sewer sucking break that one with to much agro. Merewether and Dixon Park in Newcastle is where I cut my original surf teeth. Now days I'm relegated to breaks in the SW of WA. But alas not as much as I would like to be.

All care....

H2o

Back