Snow Gullies on Mars

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Adam, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaxom Tau Zero Registered Senior Member

I thought CO2 was a more likely culprit as of late, given the temperatures were well below 0 centigrade...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. blobrana Registered Senior Member

must have been hotter then....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jaxom Tau Zero Registered Senior Member

I do believe some of the evidence is recent and currently going on.

Else the dust storms would take care of a lot of the signs.

8. Bridge Registered Senior Member

Testing

Trying to see if i can post a Mars picture

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Melting Snow and the Gullies of Mars
    Credit: P. Christensen (ASU), THEMIS, Mars Odyssey, NASA

Tantalizing images of gullies on Mars have offered striking evidence for recent flows of liquid water. But Mars is too cold and its atmosphere too thin for liquid water to exist on the surface. Still a new and compelling explanation for gullies carved by liquid water was inspired by this recently released image from the Mars Odyssey spacecraft. Pictured is a section of what is likely a snow covered crater in the Martian southern hemisphere. North is at the top and the scene, illuminated from the left, is about 16 kilometers wide. Patches of smooth snow pack remain along the northern crater wall, while structures resembling the famous Martian gullies appear to be emerging as the snow cover gradually disappears, and are exposed along the crater's western (left) wall. Melting snow, running underneath the snow pack and down the crater walls would be protected from the extreme surface conditions, remaining liquid and eroding the gullies over time. Could life exist in a liquid water environment beneath the Martian snow

10. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

Going further...

So was this really snow or just ice? Snow would imply an atmosphere, correct? Or does Mars already have an atmopshere? I dont remember.

11. Jaxom Tau Zero Registered Senior Member

A very thin atmosphere, about 1/100th of Earth's I think.

Wet1, I see how maybe pressure and isolation would keep water from instantly freezing, but the next question would be, what's making it melt? Weren't some of the temperates in these areas around -130 degrees C? Seems too cold even for below surface thawing...CO2 on the other hand...

Someone go and see first hand...put this to rest.

12. Slacker47 Paint it Black Registered Senior Member

Is it made of hydrogen? or O3? Or many different gasses?

What is the gas found on the surface? I havent done alot of Mars research, sorry.

13. Jaxom Tau Zero Registered Senior Member

A mixture, primarily CO2...very little Oxygen, so that's one of the things terraformers would have to either get from the water, or import.

Not sure on the exact ratios, or the other gases, like Nitrogen.

It's enough to blow things around during the dust storms, but to do so requires high speeds, being so thin. A storm of 50 mph winds would feel like a gentle Earth breeze to an astronaut standing on the surface.

14. Nova1021 Registered Senior Member

Mars' atmosphere is mostly CO2, with traces of some other stuff. Strangely enough, it's almost exactly the same composition as Venus' atmosphere, just much much more diffuse.

Check out this Fact Sheet To learn more about Mars.

15. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

What is making it melt is the low atmospheric pressure that Mars has. Add to that, during the right time of the year the temperature climbs enough to allow melting, depending on the latitude.

16. Eman Resu Registered Senior Member

Wet1 ...

How does pressure relate to temperature? Based on the previous link to a "fact sheet" it would appear that the average temperature on Mars is always negative (Celsius) which - based on Earth science - would indicate that snow should not be melting there at any time.

I patiently await a science lesson!

E

17. Jaxom Tau Zero Registered Senior Member

Lowering the atmospheric pressure will reduce the melting and boiling points accordingly, as raising the pressure will raise them. That's why pressure cookers work or why you have special cooking instructions for high altitudes.

I don't know how low water's melting point would go in 1/100 atms....

18. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Why do they think that it is melting ice and not caused by sand dune 'slippage'?

Is it the ravines which are the evidence?

19. Eman Resu Registered Senior Member

That's an open-minded point. If inner-planetary warming was a concern that should have been the next point made. Question is -how active is the planet?

20. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

What Jaxom mentioned about pressure/temperature relationship is very true.

Freezing and boiling points are greatly affected by pressure. A matter of pounds is of intense interest to manufacturers and chemical makers.

Temperature is another of great interest. As can readily imagined temperature controls a lot of things that happen. One of the uses that come to mind immeadately is that of the tight seal on foods and products. Most of the time time product is put into the container hot. As it cools it helps to lock in place that lid.

Temperature and pressure are intimately related and of great use, to the consumer of products, the manufacturer of those products, and to the determination of physical properties.