shape of a relativistic wheel

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by DRZion, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

I'm less interested in the visual ramifications, specifically whether 4 spokes or 6 spokes are able to be seen over the wall. I write it off as a psychological illusion...
    Read this excerpt:
    The gravity issue, though, remains. We ALL agree that frame-dependent gravity would not occur, but it's fascinating to watch the discussion between Tach VS The World, where both sides claim the other "owns" the paradox, and is therefore wrong...I think it's safe to say that we all agree it wouldn't happen but no one can currently explain why.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tach Banned Banned

BUT! This is what this thread is all about. Look at the OP.

It isn't a "psychological illusion", it goes to the core of generating realistic images through a process called raytracing.

But, the more knowledgeable people than you (przyk, to be more specific) claims that there is "matter accumulation" in the upper half of the wheel. So, according to such claims, an asymmetry in spacetime curvature would result. Of course, when he's pressed , he denies any such effect.

The answer is quite simple, there isn't any "matter accumulation" in the upper half of the wheel.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Tach: I maintain that we're all in agreement, the paradox would not occur, so please stop trying to claim that Przyk is wrong on this basis. The disagreement over "where" the midline resides is irrelevant because whether we consider the MASS ACCUMULATION or the MIDLINE to be above the fence, the apparent gravitational imbalance is the same. The question is how does the framework avoid this?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tach Banned Banned

So, what is your point?That I have introduced you to this website about a year ago?

I never said it was absurd. A year ago we were discussing the number of revolutions and the correct equation of the ellipse.
    Now we are discussing the number of visible spokes. This part of the picture seems wrong. New subject.
    Look at the rotating-in-place wheel (in green). Contrast with the rolling wheel (in blue). Do you see a contradiction? The spokes are curved downwards for the rotating one and upwards for the rolling one. How can that be? At times you can see only 3 spokes above the midline for the green wheel while you are always seeing 6 for the blue wheel. Do you see the anomaly? When the wheels overlap their spokes point in OPPOSITE directions (one upward, the other one downward). So, you don't think this is absurd? What makes you so sure that the website authors are correct?
    We must first agree on the equations of the spokes, I don't think yours is correct. This and this and this is how the spokes should look like. Try plotting yours and you'll find out that they are not correct. I posted my derivation, I suggest that you redo yours.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  8. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

No, I made it clear in [POST=2849161]post #123[/POST] that I did acknowledge it and have been well aware of it since my first posts in this thread. In fact the relativity of simultaneity effect I described in [POST=2849803]post #59[/POST] is exactly what makes the separation "frame-dependent" in the sense it is. You will of course notice that post #59 precedes post #60.

Ironically, I also accused you of failing to read and respond to what people actually say (as opposed to what you imagine they said or would have found it convenient for them to say) in both posts.

9. Tach Banned Banned

You will also notice that I disagree with your explanation of how "matter moves between the A and B halves":

Actually I responded to your exact claim and I showed my exact cause of disagreement with it.

10. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

No, you just said you disagreed with it and failed to provide any elaboration, even when [POST=2848722]specifically asked[/POST] for it:
    You never replied to that. You just left it at an unjustified denial.

Of course, this has no bearing on the point of my last post, and as usual you are desperately grasping at straws. In [POST=2849629]post #138[/POST] you say I never "admitted" that the distinction between the two halves was frame-dependent when I clearly was in [POST=2849161]Post #123[/POST], and [POST=2848643]post #59[/POST] is evidence I was well aware of this right from the beginning, regardless of what you think of the reasoning I employed.

11. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Addendum: A and B were points on the wheel, not halves. There's evidence you didn't even understand the argument you were dismissing.

12. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

This thread has turned into a exercise in debating skills rather than a search for enlightenment. The only thing I've learned from it I taught myself, which was that the KE change due to translational movement of a rotating body is equivalent to changing its axis of rotation.

13. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Derivation or reference please. On what basis do you think this?

14. Tach Banned Banned

On the basis that you claimed in post 52 "transfer of matter". Look, until you will put up any math to back up your claims, I will ignore your posts.

15. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure I see where the problem here. Earlier you said:
    Maybe the point of the reply I gave to that wasn't clear. Your reasoning above has the built in assumption that gravitation increases with momentum. I don't know any good reason to believe this should be true in general, and in fact I feel pretty safe deducing just the opposite from this scenario.

16. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

What the hell is wrong with you? The point under contention is the assumption you are making, that a matter distribution asymmetry in the wheel would necessarily lead to a "paradoxical" asymmetry in the gravitational field. For this, you need to be able to provide support. And you need to be able to properly qualify that "paradoxical" I put in quotes too: it is obvious that there will be an asymmetry in the gravitational field anyway because of the (horizonal symmetry breaking) frame-dragging in the axle frame. You need to be able to show that the "gravitational effects" don't just consist in an asymmetry but one that is incompatible with the frame-dragging in the rest frame. So once again, derivation or reference please.

17. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Yes, I am making the presumption that "energy" is non-discriminatory. Your response, and Tach's as well, is that this must not be the case apparently because of the paradox...?
    This link supports what I'm saying...it doesn't matter "how" energy sufficient to form a black hole is put into an object...momentum suffices, apparently, which baffles me.

18. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

I'm arguing that, and I know that the gravitational field also depends on momentum independently anyway (the dependence is included explicitly in the Einstein field equation). Tach isn't: he's making the same presumption as you and concluding that the matter and energy distribution in the wheel can't be asymmetric in the first place.

But we're both making deductions taking that there is no paradox as a premise, if that's your point. And it's clear a priori that there isn't a paradox. It's not just a matter of "lots of clever people have studied GR in the past and nobody has noticed a paradox like this before, so there probably isn't one". The way GR is formulated rigorously ensures that no paradox like this is possible. Specifically, the way the Einstein field equation
    \( R_{\mu\nu} \,-\, \frac{1}{2}R g_{\mu\nu} \,=\, 8 \pi G T_{\mu\nu} \)​
    is formulated (in terms of relativistic tensors) ensures that the left and right hand sides transform in exactly the same way under any arbitrary coordinate transformation.

So the situation right from the beginning is that we have a hand-wavy argument suggesting there's a paradox, and a mathematically rigorous way of seeing that there can't be.

My own reasoning tells me the conclusion in your link is wrong. The general consensus seems to be on my side, if the Usenet physics FAQ is any indication.

19. Tach Banned Banned

Err, a spherically symmetrical body creates a spherically symmetrical gravitational field. A non-spherically symmetrical body (with "more matter accumulated on one side" generates a non-symmetrical gravitational field. Can you extrapolate the above to 2 dimensions? No? Too bad.

The main point is that there is NO "matter distribution asymmetry". I asked you multiple time for a mathematical proof of your claim of "matter distribution asymmetry", until you provide one , we have nothing to discuss.
    You have claimed* with no proof to back it up that there is "more matter on the upper side of the ellipse", until you provide mathematical proof for your claim, I have nothing to discuss with you.

I do have an interesting subject to discuss with Pete, who, unlike you, doesn't shy away from backing up his claims with math.

I can disprove the redlined sentence , before I do it, I am asking you to provide your proof. This is the claim that you made in post 52 that it is at the origin of our disagreement. Provide your proof (since you made the claim) and I will provide my counter-proof.

20. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

You are dodging the issue. You are concluding this because you think it would imply supposedly problematic "gravitational effects". Can you justify that or not? If so, do it. If not, retract the argument.

Whether SR really does imply that most of the mass will be in the top half of a rolling wheel is an entirely seperate issue.

21. Tach Banned Banned

No, you have been dodging the issue since post 52, where you made the unsubstantiated claim that got the argument started. The post above tells you what you need to do in order to get the ball rolling.

22. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

*Sigh*. You're so predictable:
    In short, I've already explained why it isn't enough just to point out that there's an asymmetry.

So do it.

Why delay? Supposedly you've already done the calculation. What are you waiting for?

Why do we keep having this problem with you?

23. Tach Banned Banned

For you to prove your false claim from post 52 that started the argument. You started it, you go first. AFTER you do it, I'll rebut your proof. If you cannot provide a mathematical proof, just admit it. Very simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.