Quotes to remember

“To seek freedom is the only driving force I know. Freedom to fly off into that infinity out there. Freedom to dissolve; to lift off; to be like the flame of a candle, which, in spite of being up against the light of a billion stars, remains intact, because it never pretended to be more than what it is: a mere candle.”
― Carlos Castaneda, Don Juan: the Sorcerer

“There is, incidentally, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person.”
― Dan Greenberg

N7jau40.jpeg

Reactions: C C
"I see the beauty in the smallest things, and I find wonder in the most ordinary events. I am always looking for the hidden meaning, the secret message. I am always trying to understand the mystery of life.
I know that I will never understand everything, but that doesn't stop me from trying.
I am content to live in the mystery, to be surrounded by the unknown.
I am content to be a seeker, a pilgrim, a traveler on the road to nowhere."---Henry Miller

"On the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons."---Douglas Adams

PIq0rtv.jpeg

“Concentrate on what you want to say to yourself and your friends. Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness. You say what you want to say when you don't care who's listening.”
― Allen Ginsberg

bztEYpj.jpeg

Last edited:
“...the total number of galaxies in the universe seems to be in the region of between 6 and 20 trillion, and that each of them has about a hundred billion stars the size of the sun. These numbers are so absurd that I strangely find myself in a good mood. It's all so immense. I think Paul feels a bit like this as well. There is so little I can do to make a difference. It is liberating.”
― Erlend Loe, Naïve. Super

aUBPVDr.jpeg

Last edited:
“It was only high school after all, definitely one of the most bizarre periods in a person’s life. How anyone can come through that time well adjusted on any level is an absolute miracle.”
― E.A. Bucchianeri, Brushstrokes of a Gadfly,

tBZ6gMt.jpeg

“We have nothing to lose, nothing to gain, nothing we desired anymore- except to make our lives into a work of art.”
― Lana Del Rey

XcnLGOa.jpeg

Quotes from Thomas Sowell...

1. “There are no solutions, only compromises

2. “It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.”

3. “The next time some academics tell you how important diversity is, ask how many Republicans there are in their sociology department.”

4. “Racism is not dead, but it is on life support – kept alive by politicians, race hustlers, and people who get a sense of superiority by denouncing others as ‘racists’.”

5. “One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”

6. “When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination.”

7. “You cannot subsidize irresponsibility and expect people to become more responsible.”

8. “What do you call it when someone steals someone else’s money secretly? Theft. What do you call it when someone takes someone else’s money openly by force? Robbery. What do you call it when a politician takes someone else’s money in taxes and gives it to someone who is more likely to vote for him? Social Justice.”

9. “What exactly is your ‘fair share’ of what ‘someone else’ has worked for?”

10. “One of the most important reasons for studying history is that virtually every stupid idea that is in vogue today has been tried before and proved disastrous before, time and again.”

11. “When you want to help people, you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear.”

“Every living thing dies, Art. That’s why we cherish it while we have it. That’s why we respect the decisions our loved ones make for themselves. That’s why we love, and why we care, and why we hurt. Because everything dies.”
― Reilyn J. Hardy, The Last Chronomancer

Freeman Dyson: The politicians and the public expect science to provide answers to the problems. Scientific experts are paid and encouraged to provide answers. The public does not have much use for a scientist who says, “Sorry, but we don’t know”. The public prefers to listen to scientists who give confident answers to questions and make confident predictions of what will happen as a result of human activities.

So it happens that the experts who talk publicly about politically contentious questions tend to speak more clearly than they think. They make confident predictions about the future, and end up believing their own predictions. Their predictions become dogmas which they do not question. The public is led to believe that the fashionable scientific dogmas are true, and it may sometimes happen that they are wrong. That is why heretics who question the dogmas are needed.

[...] I am proud to be a heretic. The world always needs heretics to challenge the prevailing orthodoxies. Since I am heretic, I am accustomed to being in the minority. If I could persuade everyone to agree with me, I would not be a heretic.

We are lucky that we can be heretics today without any danger of being burned at the stake. But unfortunately I am an old heretic. Old heretics do not cut much ice. When you hear an old heretic talking, you can always say, “Too bad he has lost his marbles”, and pass on. What the world needs is young heretics. I am hoping that one or two of the people who read this piece may fill that role. --Heretical thoughts about science and society
_

“I trust if your life is right, the right things will happen at the right time. If the chords are in harmony inside, I think other things will happen the same way.”---Gene Wilder

u03h2zQ.jpeg

“Sometimes I sense that I have lost an intensity of feeling along with the moments of lacerating despair, I have greedily swapped them for ordinary life. That may sound dull, but I tell you it is sweet. It is not caviar I crave, but clean sheets and hot soup.”
― William Dudley, Antidepressants

“The flaw in rationalism is the belief that human beings can live by applying a theory. But theory – a term that comes from the Greek theorein, meaning ‘to look at’ – cannot replace practical knowledge of how to live. Plato misled western philosophy when he represented knowing the good in terms of visual experience. We can look at something without touching it; but the good life is not like that. We know it only by living it. If we think about it too much and turn it into a theory, it may dissolve and disappear. Contrary to Socrates, an examined life may not be worth living.”
— John Gray

“Knowledge is real knowledge only when it is acquired by the efforts of your intellect, not by memory.
Only when we forget what we were taught do we start to have real knowledge.”
—Henry David Thoreau

Back