Our sun's 11-year cycle

A logical guess might be some sort of waves radiating from the galactic center. These waves could be like EM waves but of a much longer wavelength(proportional to the duration of the solar cycle). Could the spiraled, rippled shape of our galaxy be indicative of these emanating waves?

Why does this explanation of a galactic force seem unreasonable? Why does mainstream science seem dead set against considering outside influences for the sun's behavior? After all, the tides are affected by the moon, the moon by the earth, the earth by the sun, the sun by the... galactic center.

Didn't sound like an unreasonable question.
Regardless, it was shot down immediately as stupid by someone else, accusing you of introducing an unknown outside mechanism to a certain system which is not fully understood at this time.
Then, this person in the same post says:

Science is just beginning to make sense of what goes on inside the Sun. Magnetohydrodynamics and dynamo theory are very new sciences, so demanding that they have all the answers right now is more than a bit naive.

"We are only beginning to understand the internal mechanics of the Sun, but your question is stupid."

matthew809 said:
Not to say the mainstream consensus is wrong. But is it really in science's best interest to rule things out from the start? Isn't science supposed to exhaustively pursue all avenues, rather then spend all it's time defending the current popular theories?

Well, I always thought an unknown leads to a question, which leads to a hypothesis, which leads to a theory, and so on. There goes that idea!

Welcome, matthew809, to Sciforums!

Didn't sound like an unreasonable question.
In context it sounded like a claim, not a tentative question.

Regardless, it was shot down immediately as stupid by someone else, accusing you of introducing an unknown outside mechanism to a certain system which is not fully understood at this time.
Stop being deliberately obtuse and while you are at it, please stop lying.

The idea was not shut down as being stupid. It was shut down as making no sense and being based upon ignorance. If you think those are equivalent to stupid then you need a remedial reading course.

Do you deny the idea was based on ignorance? Are you unaware of the many sound observational and theoretical reasons to declare it an unrequired and wholly unsupported idea? Are you also ignorant? If so, what luck. your ignroance should have been reduced by the explanations given by DH and others in this thread.

Or, were you simply trying to stir the shit?

I'm not arguing for or against anything. I thought the immediate response sounded unreasonably hostile, that's all.

Thank you for your interest.

Good day.

Children children play nicely!:D

Regardless, i disagree with the idea of EM waves from the core affecting our sun simply because the center of the galaxy is a black hole which by definition emits only hawking radiation an x rays. However the idea of gravity affecting our sun is interesting. Kind of like a galactic heart beat.

DM

Back