Objective reality: How do we know it exists ?

.....when reality (existence itself) needs little opinion; to continue; to exist

it seems that you just opined that reality exists independent of any given opinion

in any case it is the nature of reality that is in question.
is wysiwyg really the case?

/scoffs

it seems that you just opined that reality exists independent of any given opinion

which is easy to find true; see mother nature

in any case it is the nature of reality that is in question.

or the definitions of nature are what to question

and as ironic as that sounds, the rules of current paradigm bind logic; find the laws of nature incorporated into physics is what has tied the hands to much of the incorrect definition placed upon nature.

is wysiwyg really the case?

/scoffs

i am not that good (what does that "wysiwyg" mean?)

Interesting how the same premisses can lead different people to hold different conclusions:

the objective part only comes in when defining (articulating the experience hence the opinion is unbiased but and action must be involved to identify it either objective or subjective) Can't have an objective opinion without something to measure with; otherwise what someone is thinking is not an imposition to reality until imposed to exist from the exchange of the minds idea

All of this I agree with.
To use the term "objective" in any reasonable way, it must be in this stipulative sense. In other words, it is meaningless for us to assert the notion of an independent ontological 'objective reality'.

However:

... when reality (existence itself) needs little opinion; to continue; to exist

I agree with Gustav's interpretation of Bishadi's comment here...

And Bishadi's response indicates that Gustav's interpretation is correct:

which is easy to find true; see mother nature

And so, either I'm misunderstanding Bishadi, or he's caught himself in a contradiction....

All of this I agree with.
To use the term "objective" in any reasonable way, it must be in this stipulative sense. In other words, it is meaningless for us to assert the notion of an independent ontological 'objective reality'.

did i make sense; for once?

hang on: "atta boy" (i had to pat myself on the back)

And so, either I'm misunderstanding Bishadi, or he's caught himself in a contradiction....

please spell out my error so i can learn!

it is the fundamental reality , galaxies , suns , planets , moons etc

which is the objective reality

the fundamental reality cares less about our opinions , thoughts , theories

the fundamental reality continues on , making living beings , where it can

Last edited:
Just to clarify obvious confusion I shall re-quote my own post:

It was not posted by "thinking" as his post gave the wrong impression due to a quotation softaware use problem.

The thread question states:
Objective reality: How do we know it exists?
The actual wording and it's implications is interesting. Most persons would read the question and ask themselves their own version of the question: How can we determine objective reality?
or

Does objective reality exist?

this I would assume would be the usual interpretation of the question..correct me if I am wrong please...
However when I read the question....after a while it dawned on me that it could be interpreted very differently. In that it presumes the knowledge of objective reality exists but we do not know why or how that knowledge exists.

This is very interesting to me because I agree entirely. We know it exists but we simply don't know why or how it exists.

Taking a quick tour of the history of this debate through the millenia one can see that philosophers have been struggling with the why and how it exists ever since it occurred to them that it did.

In some respects religious thought is used [ aka the need for GOD] to facilitate this rather remarkable ability we all seem to have...and that notion leads to other more interesting conniptions.
There must be an underpinning objective reality simply because this reality is in fact mostly orderly, and seen in similar terms, admittedly our interpretations of what we experience differ sometimes quite remarkably but on most occasions, by far the majority of experiences are so similar that they are almost exact.
i.e. how many people can walk though closed doors and windows without breaking themselves or the doors or windows... exactly zero.

So the question when re -uhm...implied can generate an entirely different approach that what is normally undertaken.

How does objective reality exist?
What makes it possible?
Can we accept for a moment that it indeed does exist but in variety of limited ways?
Can we determine the minimum objective state and allow subjective assessments to co-exist?
For surely this is what Science attempts to do is it not?

One could draw the folowing assessment:

• Objective reality - knowledge - perfection - God
  • Subjective reality - belief - imperfection - man
and both co-exist until man becomes perfect as God through the use of ridding himself of imperfection [ science - knowledge rather than belief.]
After all we all suffer from the desire to strive for perfection [ God complex] do we not...

hmmmm.....
so if you wanted to create an objective reality for all within it how would you do it? Would be a worthwhile question I think.

is that clear now..?

Just to clarify obvious confusion I shall re-quote my own post:

It was not posted by "thinking" as his post gave the wrong impression due to a quotation software use problem.

is that clear now..?

I certainly hope so

thinking

and thanks for the clarification Quantum Quack it is appreciated

No, considering cause and effect identical is absurd. Cause is not equal to the effect it produces.

And who exactly do you think is making this claim.

How absurd can you be?

Apparently you can be quite absurd.

Geee, thanks, I didn't know that.

I'm hardly surprised.

Common speech often is technically incorrect.

So? Often is not always or in this particular case.

In this particular case we are dealing with a philosophical question in the common language using common notions of the words.

Also, cause and effect are equally imprecise notions. Cause is how we talk about before the event and effect is how we talk about after the event, but the decision of when is the event is completely arbitrary and the aren't buckets of cause qua cause hanging around.

And who exactly do you think is making this claim. {That cause and effect are identical}. ...
You are at end of post 514. Here are your words:
...It is most definitely not an error to have an identity relationship between a cause and its effect. ...
If two things are IDENTICAL they certainly are equal and one can replace the other. To again show how absurd this is, here is part of my post 517:

“Rain falling is an effect of gravity. Or gravity is the cause of rain falling.
If it were not absurd to equate cause and effect then, falling rain = gravity and one could assert:
Falling rain causes the Earth to orbit the sun.”

Do you really think falling rain keeps the Earth in orbit around the sun?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you really think falling rain keeps the Earth in orbit around the sun?

Are you positing a causal relationship between rain falling and the earth remaining in orbit? Or are you just trying to create more strawmen to attack?

Are you saying there is no relationship between a cause and its effect?

I'm saying there is a direct relationship between a cause and its effect.

well you guys are all pretty smart.
How would you create an objective reality if you had to?
How would you rule out subjectivity in your created universe? [ "shoot the buggers I say!" yelled the sherif]

maybe by using this approach you will gather a better way of looking at the subject ...I dunno.....

Are you saying there is no relationship between a cause and its effect?
I'm saying there is a direct relationship between a cause and its effect.
Of course not.

No, you said, in last part of post 514, that there was an IDENTITY relationship. Identity!!!

If you had admitted you mis-spoke long ago, these posts of mine correcting you would not exist, but you are too proud to be smart and admit this error.

Someone talk about the damn cat more.

I remember when I was first introduced to the theoretical Cat in a box, however I was told a completely different setup to Schrodingers cat (incidentally there are many ways of spelling the name, obviously not all correct, including my own).

I was told:

A cat is placed into a box with a glass poison capsule sewn to one of it's legs. Once in the box, the box is closed and radiology is used to bombard the inside of the box from the outside. The radiology over time will cause decay to the glass which will release the poison into the cat, killing the cat. While the box is closed it's known whether the cat is alive or dead and it's suggested it's in both states.

Obviously the apparatus is completely flawed compared to the original. In fact an answer to the original is actually to write a Program (use a flow diagram) as to what occurs to the cat. I wrote a program but one of the main things with such a program is working out how the cat is dead, when it's dead. If you use something like Check the heartbeat and if it's sieze for X number of seconds the cat is dead, you end up generating a Causality clause. In the sense the result is that you've already defined the outcome prior to the experiment through programming it's variables.

No, you said, in last part of post 514, that there was an IDENTITY relationship. Identity!!!

Oh, I get it. That's why you were trying so hard to introduce the concept of "identity" into the conversation. Tsk, tsk! Shame on you.

you said: "That is why it is an error to make an identity between “buzzing in the ears” and any ONE of these causes."

Which I agreed with and which was never my point.

I said: "But it is not an error to make an identity between the phenomena of hearing something and a cause."

I.e. it is my contention that it is never the case that the phenomena of hearing something occurs without a cause and that cause, whatever it may be, is part and parcel with the phenomena of hearing something.

But you were just introducing the term for the old bait and switch and to try and side track the conversation in spurious details of your own device.

When two solids collide, they make a sound and that sound exists independent of any listener. If it makes you happy, you could say sound waves, since they make more than one sound wave, but not in order to exclude the term "sound" which is entirely adequate in this context for describing what is made when objects collide.

Back