NY Governor, Eliot Spitzer, To Resign

Discussion in 'Politics' started by superstring01, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Bells Staff Member

Oh for God's sake, what part of "analogy" did you fail to comprehend?

A similar analogy would be for someone who actively sought to jail people for harming the environment, then going home and dumping gallons of motor oil and pesticide down the drain.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

The guy had a weakness. We can all identify with that and for simply soliciting a call girl yields no jail time in U.S. I',m not condopning his behavior but come on people.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

It started with the British...when they went to India and saw pictures of Kama Sutra...they went nuts....and moved to USA....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

It is not the fact that he hired prostitutes. It is the fact he worked so hard to jail people for the very crime he was committing at the same time. This is a man who relished going after white collar crime and threatening firms and individuals with imprisonment and ruin, all while he, himself, was committing the same crime. It is the hypocrisy that is astounding in all of this.

He portrayed himself as the bastion of morality, jailing others for being involved in prostitution rings, all while he was actively seeking out the services of prostitutes from a prostitution ring.

8. superstring01 Moderator

Correct. I could NOT care less if he slept with a million women. In fact, that doesn't bother me in the least. What bothers me, and what Oreodont doesn't get, is that he put people in jail for that crime and then went and plugged hookers on the side. That's the issue. He's in the VERY SPECIFIC position to enforce laws. IF he chose not the pursue that career, this wouldn't be an issue. But he did, and it is.

~String

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

What if he was not known for busting prostitute rings? would he still be guilty, is it just the irony that makes it so horrible?

10. Bells Staff Member

Well yes. He would still be guilty if he broke the law.

The irony is not just the fact that he actively went after others when he was an AG. The biggest irony is that he ran on a 'ethics' ticket:

11. countezero Registered Senior Member

You mean it's not just a bunch of knuckle-dragging yokels from flyover country who care? Damn, that destroys my whole world-view.

I don't view prostitution as a crime "without a victim," either. One doesn't have to dig very far into psychology to find opinions about the dangers of people engaging in tremendous amounts of sex with multiple partners. In other words, the toll taken on the prostitute should be considered. And as I have already mentioned, legalized prostitution, which I'm for in theory, doesn't seem to remove the social stigma attached to it and "clean" up this "consensual" transaction much.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Hehe, I had a feeling he was not going to resign. This morning the news is that he is negotiating with the police to dismiss charges...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. LORD_VOLDEMORT Banned Banned

Damn The Moral Preachers.prostitution In My Opinion Should Be A Choice Among The Individual,i Say Fire The Hypocrite!!!!!!!!!!

14. draqon Banned Banned

poor dude. anyways Spitzer was lousy at his work, fire him not because of prostituion scandal but because of the way he kept NY looking like gurbage, which it is in essence.

15. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

Spitzer has way to many powerful enemies on Wall Street. It was only a matter of time until they pinned something on him. He built his career on a foundation of morailty and personal responsibilty. I don't feel pitty for anyone that has benefitted from what I call reverse affirmative action. What I mean by this is, having a rich father and a vast network of affluent connections. Then have the audacity to say you made it all on your own.

16. otheadp Banned Banned

When I was still in university, studying the terrible profession of financial accounting, and at the time on my path to becoming a chartered (certified professional) accountant, we were taught about this guy's crusade against corporate corruption. He became a sort of hero of mine at the time.

This prostitution scandal he's been involved in is a nice reminder that he is only human. I think it's unreasonable to ask of leaders to be spotless and perfect. Every leader in history had a vice. JFK certainly did, when he turned the white house into a whore house. Churchill was a depressive drunk, and Bill Clinton cheated on his wife (and was accused of rape!).

I think a bit of humanity should be tolerated. Sure he's a hypocrite, but so are all of us, and we shouldn't expect anything better. At least he's a hypocrite that has thrown corporate cowboys (people who in my mind deserve the death penalty) in jail, and cracked down on prostitution. He bettered life for his community. His personal vice is so insignificant and doesn't make my or your life any worse.

Why not give him some slack?

17. countezero Registered Senior Member

He resigned.

18. draqon Banned Banned

he's an old man.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. otheadp Banned Banned

NY's loss, IMHO.

20. countezero Registered Senior Member

So it would be NY's gain to have a politically ineffective Gov. being investigated and tried by federal authorities? Please, explain why.

21. draqon Banned Banned

umm...NY's gain that he resigned. I am from NY, I am telling you.

22. otheadp Banned Banned

You're probably right, actually, now that I think about it, but only because of his illegal alien policies. Not because the good citizens of NY state won't have a john as a governor.

P.S.
    You live in the US? Why not in Russia?

23. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

It's NY's loss that Spitz lacked self control and committed the crime to begin with. The resignation itself is not a loss. Count's response exactly explains why.