Linked image limit/PM recipient limit

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by mikenostic, Oct 9, 2007.

1. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Mods,

Why? Why are we limited to linking three images and PM'ing one person at a time?
    Why is it that when I've PM'ed several of you (including you Plazma) about this, I receive no response and have to make a thread about it?

Can someone please give me some answers about this????
    I don't mean to be rude but, when you mods don't do your jobs here and answer PMs, what else do you expect?

So....
    Why are we limited to linking three images per post? I see no reason for it. If I have six pics I want to post, it seems it would be easier to put them all in one post rather than create a post with three images, then go right back in and make ANOTHER reply right after to post the additional three images.

Why are we limited to PM'ing one user at a time? I'm just baffled by this stellar display of common sense there.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

because the images on sciforums (smilies) use bandwith and the PMs limit is to stop floods.

i know you were looking for something official but i think that is the case.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

A good hard shag?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I thought about that, BUT, let's say I have six images I want to link here. Instead of being able to create one post with six images posted in it, I have to create two posts with three images each. :bugeye:
    So you mean to say that two posts with three images each will take up less bandwidth than one post with six images? Seems like it would be 6 one, half a dozen the other (no pun intended), as far as bandwidth is concerned?

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

The limitation on the images is so that a page doesn't get filled with images. Admittedly the 'Links' as you say wouldn't cause any bandwidth problems to sciforums, however they can cause leeching disputes with other sites:

i.e.
    Lets say you find all the wonderful pictures that Enmos takes at Http://www.enmos.eu
    and you decide you want to share them all with the world, if you decided to post 6 of his pictures (without his permission) on every post you made, should the thread be accessed by hundreds of people those images would keep being loaded off his server.

This would cause unnecessary strain on his server and well Bandwidth is a premium which means he could end up paying extra for those extra images being pulled while having nobody know who the photographer was.

This means he could actually complain to the forum for causing this, especially if he has copyright information on his website which the links go against. Failing that he could start limiting his images to only his site and showing a 'You naughty leecher' image in the place of all the images you linked. (Btw, I was no way endorsed by Enmos for advertising his website Http://enmos.eu in this example)

Reducing the number of images you can link lessens the potential leeching load placed on other peoples servers and also makes it more managable should one image (or post) need moderating, it doesn't effect all the other images.

(The limit is also in regards to Uploading images that have to be either a particular size or they might get shrunk to fit through the GD library which would take resources and processing time to do so. Especially if the thumbnail system is on, as all uploaded images gain thumbnails)

As for mods answering PM's?
    Well a number of the mod's get far more PM's than they should, especially if they are Administrators like Plazma. Sometimes they just don't see the new PM in the box. Sometimes they just don't know the answers or don't have the power to do anything, sometimes they just know the person is whining for the sake of whining.

As for Why only 1 PM at time?
    simply... SPAM
    There are a number of robots that signup to this forum everyday, while some are easily detected by their use of names, words or email addresses others aren't so easy to distinguish from 'Clandestine readers' with no posts. Most of those bots either attempt to post to a particular forum with their spam, or they attempt to mass PM everyone on the forum. Obviously we don't want that, and you don't want that (especially if you are emailed everytime you get a pm), so that is why the number is so restrictive.

As for making a thread?
    Well it makes more sense to have a public thread on the subject just in case anyone else has the exact same question but has never got round to asking it or for those in the future that were about to ask.

9. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

I didn't receive a PM from you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If I did I would respond.

I always respond to PMs. You just have to give me time to see it. In fact you should give time to all mods to see your request.

But, you probably won't receive respond regarding technical issues from them. You should address those concerns only to me.

But, as I said, gave me some time to log in and see your message.
    As you probably know, I’m European and it’s almost a bedtime for me. I’m not 24 hours active on forum, because I have some other activities: job, beer with friends, having sex, sleeping, etc.
    So, it’s selfish to request constant presence from me or other moderators. This is not their job, it’s their good will.
    Only I have duties here and if members have to address something they should address that to me.

Now back to answers. Stryder already explained that well.

Three picture limit is default and it’s not burden for bandwidth. I think we won’t change anything regarding that in near future.
    It's not problem if you have 30 pics for upload. Feel free to open 10 posts and place them here.

Regarding more PMs at the same time – As Stryder explained… Simply, SPAM is the main reason. Only Admins and Super Mods can use the option of sending mass PM.
    That’s also default system option and we won’t change that too.

Other forums keep these options just as they are here.