If we clone neanderthals, will they have legal rights?

Ethical issues in research. You'd never get any research organisation to approve.

why not? Is it ethical to implant a woman with 8 embryos? No, but it happened.
I think there are women out there attention starved enough to volunteer.

Because we have rules for such things and this is outside the scope of current research ethics.

Even medical research.

Y'all are funny! All this silly talk about "human rights" for cloned Neanderthals ...while better than half of the existing HUMAN population on Earth are without those very same "human rights" even as y'all argue about it for clones.

Y'all are really strange people, ...really you are! :D

Baron Max

But we still want human rights

...LOL! But ya' don't even know what the fuck they are!! ...LOL!

Morality and human rights come from the muzzle of a gun!! Whoever has or controls the biggest gun dictates morality and human rights.

Some of y'all seem to think that just being "human" entitles you to those rights; some of you think that god gave you those human rights; ...; yet human rights are denied and taken away from humans all the time, every day, all over the freakin' world. Guns and ammo, and the willingness to use 'em, is where human rights and morality come from.

Baron Max

What are you two talking about?????

Read the posts more carefully:

“Originally Posted by Enmos: But we still want human rights”

To which I said: "...LOL! But ya' don't even know what the fuck they are!! ...LOL!"

I was talking about human rights, not the apes or neanders or humans or.....

Baron Max

Not human rights, Baron, legal rights.

e.g. if a neanderthal goes through a red light, should he be arrested?

can he rent an apartment if he can sign his name?

What are you two talking about?????

Read the posts more carefully:

“Originally Posted by Enmos: But we still want human rights”

To which I said: "...LOL! But ya' don't even know what the fuck they are!! ...LOL!"

I was talking about human rights, not the apes or neanders or humans or.....

Baron Max

Human rights are artificial, I don't know what else to say about them..

Legal rights come directly from human rights, SAM.

But regardless, legal rights also come directly from the muzzle of a gun!

Baron Max

I'm operating under the assumption that as defined under biology, neanderthals will have the same human rights as other humans in such position of being experimented on.

Neanderthals are a separate species from humans, though. So why operate under that assumption?

Neanderthals are a separate species from humans, though. So why operate under that assumption?

It's not about species. It's about what level of genetic similarity to Homo sapiens grants you legal rights ;)

So you think they would be locked up in zoos?

No, I didn't say that. I don't think they would be. I'm not positive they would have the exact same legal rights as humans, but I'm sure they'd have more than some other species do, such as chimpanzees. I was merely saying one can't assume they'd have the same rights as humans since they are not humans and a situation like this has yet to arise. As Enmos said, it comes down to whether or not they're close enough.

Back