GM Cassava to help Africa's poor.

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Skeptical, Feb 20, 2011.

1. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Hmm, from what I can tell, the answer as to why the starving millions aren't fed is politics, not lack of production capacity:
    http://www.psrast.org/nowohu.htm

And earlier I noted 80% of the grain produced in the US gets fed to livestock, which most people probably consume more of here than is good for them.

Organic *does*, in some cases, require crop rotation: fallowing, usually one year out of four. This is how Europe went from having poor rocky soil to really good soil, over lifetimes. If someone knows if there's been a way developed to get around the need to fallow a field...

I note we started out with wonderful topsoil and have about six inches of it left in many places.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Skeptical Registered Senior Member

iceaura

Modern organic agriculture is quite different. Sure, it works just fine. So does conventional. They have different advantages. Organic is cheaper for small scale farmers such as Africans. It produces much greater profits, which is great for the multi-national multi-billion dollar corporate food companies that produce most of the organic food in the west.

Chimpkin

The reason certain people starve is not lack of food. It is lack of money to buy food. Sending American food surpluses to Africa will not solve the problem, since the Africans cannot buy it. American farmers, transport operators etc will not send it without payment.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The observation that natural prairie needs no fallowing to be productive - more productive than a field of corn - leads to the suggestion that mixed cropping and inter-larded "rotation" might fill the role.

Among others, there's a guy in the midwest named Wes Jackson who has been trying to figure out this approach. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Jackson

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.