Film/Movie Recommendations

I would recommend reading "Carrying the Fire" by Michael Collins (the Apollo 11 crew member that nobody remembers).
Who?:smile:
I may look into that "Carrying the Fire."
Two weeks ago I finished ''First Man'' the life of Neil Armstrong. That's the authorised biograpy book ( By James R. Hansen) the film is based on. There was lots of quotes from Michael Collins there. But, I suppose it would be best to read Michael's account also. I read the Armstrong book because I wanted to somehow ''celebrate'' next July's half century since Apollo 11.

Roger and out.

Kung Fury

Nothing wrong with cheese
Does it really matter if the movie is bad? Some movies are bad but when you watch them, you can see how much love and attention went into it. When you see those qualities in movies, they become good bad movies. We all used to like silly fun things at least once in our life, I like to nurture that part of us.

Last edited:
Recently saw "Justice League"... and I keep thinking that Christopher Nolan ruined the DC cinematic universe with his Dark Knight trilogy, and they've been really unsure of themselves ever since... do they go dark and brooding or a bit more light-hearted? Do they base things more in reality or forgo that for a bit more ridiculousness?
I think they have a reasonable thing with their TV offerings, albeit a tad homogenous (Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, Flash, Supergirl all follow the same formula), but their "blockbusters" really aren't up to the same quality as Marvel. Maybe it's the source material, or maybe the management, but "Justice League", while enjoyable enough, was really nothing special, didn't offer anything new, and was pretty formulaic.
Marvel, on the other hand, have a bright and sparkly, and light-hearted, cinematic universe, while their TV fare is far grittier and down to earth, and more grown-up than the DC tv stuff.

So, anyway, "Justice League"... 6.5/10. Maybe 7. Looked okay but just felt flat.

It took me three tries to set through "Justice League", but when I did I saw yet another comic book movie. Don't hope for a silk purse, given the source material, and you'll be fine. 7/10, 9/10 for Credence Barebone.

Sadly, warner bros executives decided to release justice league before known problems in the post production could be addressed. According to Wikipedia the Warner bros executives did this so they could get their cash bonuses before they merged with AT&T.

Recently saw "Shin Godzilla" - One of the most recent Godzilla films from Japan. It's definitely a B-movie, and the special effects, especially of the monster itself, are often cringeworthy, yet other times surprisingly effective. The story is told in a novel way for me... no real protagonist, just an almost matter-of-fact insight into the decision-making by the Japanese government when a vast beast causes mass destruction.
Interesting film. Good Godzilla story. Not one I would particularly recommend, though, unless you like foreign films, can handle films on a small budget, and like monster films. Don't expect anything like a Hollywood film. But if you liked the 50's/60's Godzilla films from Japan then consider this a modern version but in the same cheap style. :)

I saw it in dub and then saw the subbed version. I usually preferr subs in foreign media but this subbed version was, at times, unwatchable with so many subtitles on screen you can't even see what's going on in the picture.

I'm not sure I understand how blood coagulants froze godzilla. Shouldn't his temperature have just gone down to the ambient temperature? Anyways I still enjoyed the dubbed movie as one of the better reboots.

Last edited:
Good film, Defiance. Seen it a few times. One of Craig's better films, I think.

Recently saw "Shin Godzilla" - One of the most recent Godzilla films from Japan. It's definitely a B-movie, and the special effects, especially of the monster itself, are often cringeworthy, yet other times surprisingly effective. The story is told in a novel way for me... no real protagonist, just an almost matter-of-fact insight into the decision-making by the Japanese government when a vast beast causes mass destruction.
Interesting film. Good Godzilla story. Not one I would particularly recommend, though, unless you like foreign films, can handle films on a small budget, and like monster films. Don't expect anything like a Hollywood film. But if you liked the 50's/60's Godzilla films from Japan then consider this a modern version but in the same cheap style. :)
It was kind of fun watching the incompetent politicians try to "deal with it" and fail.
And at the other end: I recently saw "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets"
Fairly typical Luc Besson in being bright colours, not taking itself too seriously, fairly outlandish sci-fi stylings, and a pulp comic-book story.
Surprisingly good fun. Just thought it might have been better with better lead actor/actress. Cara delevingne is eye-candy for sure, but I felt the rest of the film needed something a bit more than that and the lead actor (Dane Dehaan).
If you enjoyed "The Fifth Element" then it is definitely worth a watch.
Cara had the bad luck to follow that up with "Suicide Squad". Dr. June Moon? Seriously?

What is Godzilla's body temperature anyway? I think it was in Godzilla Raids Again where they defeated him by burying him in ice.
Very hot! Is my guess considering his heart is supposedly a nuclear reactor. Google search only shows me the upper limit temperature of the Heisei Godzilla before he dies (1200 degrees celcius), but I'm not sure that over heating would apply to shin Godzilla. Even if it did, he'd probably just go in the ocean to cool down, like in the movie.

Last edited:
Raymond Burr, eat it.
Noooooooo! I need Raymond Burr for my "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon":

1. Godzilla was in Godzilla with Raymond Burr.
2. Raymond Burr was in Rear Window with Thelma Ritter.
3. Thelma Ritter was in The Misfits with Eli Wallach.
4. Eli Wallach was in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly with Clint Eastwood.
5. Clint Eastwood was in Dirty Harry with John Vernon.
6. John Vernon was in Animal House with Kevin Bacon.​

(You might be interested in looking into The Misfits - the last movie made by both Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe.)

Noooooooo! I need Raymond Burr for my "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon":

1. Godzilla was in Godzilla with Raymond Burr.
2. Raymond Burr was in Rear Window with Thelma Ritter.
3. Thelma Ritter was in The Misfits with Eli Wallach.
4. Eli Wallach was in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly with Clint Eastwood.
5. Clint Eastwood was in Dirty Harry with John Vernon.
6. John Vernon was in Animal House with Kevin Bacon.​

(You might be interested in looking into The Misfits - the last movie made by both Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe.)
Might be, but not.

Back