Dogs are crazy

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by S.A.M., May 6, 2009.

1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Most dogs are just a mirror of what their human hosts are like. So what you train it to become in large part will represent who you are as well. Always remember it is a dog and not a child or other human.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

You should help it use all that energy to learn tricks. Excitably dogs are easy to train. They'll just do anything for attention.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

We went grocery shopping.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

She's pooped now.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

8. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I had a small dog (Australian Terrier) an it was wild an crazy but it loved to do tricks for treets.!!!

I woud have her to sit behind a box while i hid a small peace of apple somwhare in the room an then i woud call her to com look for it (somtimes she woud peek around the box an watch me... lol)... an i coud pont in the directon it was hidden an she woud go look whare i ponted... or i coud jus say find it an she woud go lookin... but if she headed for the rong area i woud say "no" an she woud immediately stop an head for a diferent area... an when she got close i woud day "yes" an she woud keep lookin thar till she fount it... an if i hid it up high i wooud say "up" when she got close to it an she woud get on her hind legs to see on top of stuff... an i coud hide 3 tennis balls in the room an put a small box on the floor an she woud go find a ball an put it in the box... an then go find the second ball an put it in the box... an then stare at the 2 balls for couple of seconds an somtimes look at me an somtimes go ahead an hunt for the 3rd ball on her own... but i woud never give her the treet until she fount the 3rd ball... an she woud do this at top speed... an i also taut her to com runnin an when i ponted my fanger an shouted bang... she com to a halt... make 1 tight circle... flop on her bak an lye still until i said... you'r oK... then she woud com runnin for her apple treet... an she jus loved a 30 to 60 minute walk ever day.!!!

One time when she was in the fenced in area outside i herd her barkin strangly... i went an looked an she was barkin at a frog that was settin on the entrance of her dog house... when she woud find little creatures like that she woud use that sam type of bark an i knew she had fount somptim... such as a mouse... a large moth... a big black spider... an she seemed all prancy when i woud get rid of her "finds"... lol.!!!

I also tryed "clicker" tranin wit her an she learned that near instently.!!!

She woud get bored doin the sam trick over an over so i woud have to mix it up an continualy teech her new stuff... she realliy seemed to like a new chalenges.!!!

9. Exterminate!!! Registered Member

what kind of dog is this? She's really cute

10. TFL ʞǝǝƃ ɐ ʇsnɾ Registered Senior Member

Looks like a cocker spaniel. I have one and they are the kind of dog that becomes your shadow.

11. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

It's definitely some kind of Spaniel. They don't have the reputation for being the brightest of dogs*, but they are very pretty and are very loyal.

*this is the consensus. The Spaniels that I've been around seem to be fairly smart.

Dobermans will also become their owner's shadow.

Yep. Dogs tend to emulate their owners.

Too many dog owners seem to lose sight of that.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

:spank:

13. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think you need to show her who is boss SAM. Demonstrate that you are the pack leader. I own a scnnauzer, he knows who the pack leader is. He doesn't even have to think twice about it.

When I say roll over, he rolls over. When I say play dead, he plays dead. But he doesn't play dead too well...keeps wiggling his tail. Just lay down the law....no hitting or physical pain...maybe showng her picture of a US naval fleet when she misbehaves.

14. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I don't get the joke. :shrug:

Especially considering what I said was dead true. But what do I know? I've only had at least two dogs for the past four years.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Huh lol

I'm not saying that what you said isn't true..
    Oh well, never mind. It's not funny if I have to explain it

16. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Yes it is.
    I really love how people tell me soemthing about dogs that isn't true when I see it on a constant basis. Sorry Enmos, I spend everyday with my dogs. You don't. I can also guarantee that plenty of people who do spend time with their dogs, and treat and raise them like they're supposed to be, will emulate their owners.
    It's kinda like me telling you my house has white siding and a carport and then you coming right back and telling me it isn't true.

17. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

How is SAMs dog behavin that you thank she needs to show it that she is boss.???

For sure YOU need to be the "Boss"... but i thank you'r dog does tricks for reward... not cause you lay down the law.!!!

18. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Originally Posted by S.A.M.
    Dogs are crazy! ”

“ Originally Posted by S.A.M.
    She won't move. ”

“ Originally Posted by cosmictraveler
    Most dogs are just a mirror of what their human hosts are like. ”

“ Originally Posted by mikenostic
    Yep. Dogs tend to emulate their owners. ”

The joke is... that SAM is crazy an wont move.!!!

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I didn't say that it's not true. Sjees ! :bugeye:

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Thank you clueless.

21. Bells Staff Member

She is obviously not yet over the separation anxiety if she keeps wanting to be so close to you. She may also just want attention (constantly) and will stick close so that she can get it.

You could try taking her to puppy training school (a lot of vet's will be able to provide the training classes or refer you to one). Dogs remember bad treatment very well and if she was abandoned, then it could explain some of her behaviour.

She's adorable though.

22. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Oh damn. I totally misread your question. I could have sworn it read 'it isn't true'.

My bad!

23. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Steps to eliminate separation anxiety:
    -when you come home from anywhere, ignore the dog for about 10 minutes, then go pet them and say hi
    -when you leave of a morning, say bye to them about 10 minutes before you leave and do the reverse of coming home by ignoring them before you leave
    (when you get all affectionate with them and tell them 'bye, be a good dog, etc, etc. and hug them lavishly, all you are doing is just getting them wound up for after you leave. This is a huge contributor to dogs chewing up your stuff while you're gone. They don't do it out of spite, they do it because they miss you and your stuff has your scent on it.)

Training them like I've mentioned above gives the dog the mindset that it's not really a big deal when you leave and come back.

Don't be afraid to expose her to things that do scare her. For example, my smallest dog, Lucky was a pure rescue. I found him in the parking lot of my last work. Someone must have abused him because I've had a ball in my hand, raised it up to throw for Marley, and he cowered as if it was his last day on earth. So I started acting like I was going to throw something at him or hit him and when he cowered, I'd run right over him and pet him and tell him it was ok. I know acting like I'm going to hit him sounds mean, but it's one of the only ways to help him understand that I would never hit him and that if I do raise up my arm to throw something, that I'm not going to hit him.
    He's getting a lot better about it. I can now get pillows and throw them at him (as I do with my other two when I'm playing around with them).