Denial of evolution IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you are assuming that they dont have to be neccesary, becuase indeed there are certain things that occur in the cell that could not happen withotu other neccesary components..meiosis for instance requres multiple co working functions as stated in a very good paper about the evolution of it..

"While meiosis almost certainly evolved from mitosis, it has not one but four novel steps: the pairing of homologous chromosomes, the occurrence of extensive recombination between non-sister chromatids during pairing, the suppression of sister-chromatid separation during the first meiotic division, and the absence of chromosome replication during the second meiotic division. This complexity presents a challenge to any Darwinian explanation of meiotic origins. While the simultaneous creation of these new features in one step seems impossible, their step-by-step acquisition via selection of separate mutations seems highly problematic, given that the entire sequence is REQUIRED(my emphasis) for reliable production of haploid chromosome sets"

not my words...http://www.genetics.org/content/181/1/3.full
Yes, the entire sequence is required now. No, that doesn't mean the entire sequence had to develop all at once.
Did you read the rest of that paper?
It delves into pre-existing useful processes that could be coopted into the recombination and homolog pairing steps of meiosis, and suggests how sister chromatid replication suppression and absence of chromosome replication in meiosis II are potential consequences of homolog pairing.

Here's the paper's conclusion:
Wilkins and Holliday said:
Here, we have argued that the origins of meiosis from mitosis initially involved only one new step, namely homolog synapsis. Two of the other unusual features of meiosis are prefigured in mitosis and would have been brought into play as consequences of the existing regulatory features of mitosis while the remaining one (extensive recombination) could have evolved later. We further propose that the selective pressures for acquiring extensive homolog pairing capacity in early eukaryotes were to localize and restrict recombination, minimizing ectopic recombination and thus reducing duplications and deletions and larger aneuploid changes. (Extensive synapsis would also have probably simultaneously promoted genetic recombination but primarily among the “right” sequences.) A similar general conclusion from a consideration of cancer cells has been proposed by Heng (2007). Our brief comparative survey of the molecular machinery needed for the evolution of meiosis from mitosis suggests that much of it could have been recruited for use in meiosis via appropriate point mutations. Other features of meiosis, such as synaptonemal complexes and the requirement for recombination to ensure chromosome disjunction, would have been secondarily evolved properties. A schematic summary of our evolutionary scenario is shown in Figure 1:
F1.medium.gif

Schematic of our hypothesis, which is shown as a time line of events in the evolution of meiosis. Thick arrows indicate long-term events (evolutionary timescale or multi-generation) while the thin arrow for the proposed parameiosis process indicates an immediate consequence and event
Our hypothesis in no way contradicts the idea that meiosis serves to promote intergenic recombination, thereby providing new variation for selection to act upon. Indeed, one of us has proposed that the advantages of increased intergenic recombination were important in the early establishment of eukaryotic cells competing for niches with prokaryotic cells (Holliday 2006). We argue here, however, that this benefit of meiosis did not provide the initial selective pressure for its origins. Although our idea differs from traditional thinking about the advantages of meiosis, it is consistent with the known facts, and its central premise—that recombination has to be limited in extent to ensure the fidelity of the transmission of the genetic complement—is testable.

again I refer you to the italian wall lizard evolving a damn cecal valve to digest plant matter after beign taken from its island where its diet was 96 percent meat to another island with mosly plant matter. They evolved this brand new structure to digest plant matter in just 36 YEARS(wow), and it was never seen in this particular species before...of course it was used as a way to prove evolution on some forums i was visiting and to destroy creationists etc..I dont really care about that argument because, evolution has clearly occured, but it is taken on faith that random mutations "came up" with this in just 30 generations(evolutionary blink of the eye) and i find this utterly ludacris. ohthers suggest an epiginect solution, but still call it stochastic.
I advise you too check it out , the paper is on google scholar and give me your thoughts....http://www.pnas.org/content/105/12/4792.full.pdf

a few of teh news releases actually have more info!

OK, I read about the lizards.
Do you understand what an (ileo)cecal valve is? Basically, it's a ring of muscle around the terminal ileum that is contracted more often than it is relaxed.

Now consider:
There are already rings of muscle all along the ileum, controlled by the mesenteric nervous plexuses, a complex system with a myriad of potential genetic and epigenetic sites for introducing variations in gut motility.
I don't know if there is any more complexity in these particular lizards' cecal valves, so I might be oversimplifying... but I don't think your incredulity is justified.
(edit - interestingly, Answers in Genesis agrees. I'm not sure how I feel about that!)

Amazing? Yes. Ludicrous? I don't think so.

And what alternative is there anyway? You agree that there must be some reason for these lizards to have developed cecal valves, right?

Postscript:
One other thing to consider: It seems that ileocecal valves are not unknown in that family (Lacertidae) of lizards. So some of the genetic code might have been existent in that species but suppressed. To be sure, researchers would have to check whether cecal valves occur congenitally in any of the original species members, perhaps by dissecting a few thousand newborn lizards.

Post-postscript:
A followup paper, Anatomical and Physiological Changes Associated with a Recent Dietary Shift in the Lizard Podarcis sicula (pdf), found 16 of 24 lizards from the new island had cecal valves, and also that (much more interestingly), 20 lizards from the island that were fed athropods only for 15 weeks had no cecal valves. (I don't know how old those lizards were, so I don't know whether they had cecal valves and lost them again, or what.) The researchers say that this indicates that the cecal valves are the result of plasticity rather than genetic variation, i.e. that the lizards had the potential for cecal valves already, but that potential was only realised after eating a plant rich diet (this can also explain some of the head morphology changes - more chewing means bigger jaw muscles and larger or denser bony attachments, even with the same genes. Just like a guy who works out will have bigger muscles and stronger bones than his identical twin).

Clearly, they should try feeding some lizards from the original population on plant diets and see if they also develop cecal valves.

And in hindsight, it's a shame they didn't collect and preserve specimens from the introduced population each year, to see when and how the morphological changes developed. Hopefully, someone is doing a repeat experiment as we speak. I've emailed Bart Vervust (who just completed his doctorate on these lizards) to ask.

Last edited:
Thanks Zenithar... now I've lost a good chunk of my day to reading about Croation lizards. Interesting stuff, but not helping me learn about schizophreniform disorders and antipsychotic pharmacology!

Cheers, Pete :cool:

Mod note: All Zenithar66’s posts to date have been moved to here. Despite his/her claims to the contrary, it’s plainly apparent that the intention is to poke holes in evolutionary theory using some of the age-old creationist techniques…

“It’s all just speculation.…”

“It’s not proven….”

“Scientists are not unified in their opinions….”

“I can’t see/understand how X could have happened; therefore it must not have happened.…”

“How can enzyme X have evolved when its function is irreducibly complex….” (or paraphrasing thereof)

etc.

Last edited:
huh?

Mod note: Zenithar66’s posts, and associated replies, have been moved to the Denial of Evolution IV thread.

im sorry but what the hell is this? I am actually in shock. This is exactly what happened on that website askabiologist.com becuase i was "denying" evolution(actually I got banned).
I would appreciate you read my other 2 threads(especailly the nitrogen one) where i state i am not a creationist and I know evolutiono occurs!!

I am simply very skeptical of the proposed mechanisms to account for the adaptions we actaully see, im not arguign that those adaptions arent there through a processes of evolution? so how in the world can i be moved to the "denial of evolution" thread?

care to answer this one oh holy moderator?

I am here too learn, i accept when i was totally wrong(nitrogen thread) and i will debate with others? what am i supposed to do, just simply take it on faith that the proposed mechanisms can indeed account for all thsoe adaptions (and so many others) i named as well as the co evolution of parts in the girrafe and the sexes?(and again..MANY others).

This is almost orwellian.

As per the first three Denial of Evolution threads (here, here and here), this fourth instalment is also a quarantine area for threads that blindly regurgipost all the usual creationist/evolution denialism stuff, such as:

-- scientists know that evolution is wrong, but are hiding that fact in order to retain their power;
-- evolution is just a theory;
-- Darwin recanted on his deathbed;
-- no one has seen a bacterium evolve into a fish;
-- there are no transitional fossils;
-- speciation has never been seen;
-- okay, speciation has been seen, but the creation of new Genuses has not;

....and everything else which is summarily smacked down by everyone who passed high school biology.

interestingly I have not said any of the above and therefore have not met the requirments to be moved?

I am not here to blindly argue or regurgitate anything(show me the last creationist thread about topoisomerase).

Thanks Zenithar... now I've lost a good chunk of my day to reading about Croation lizards. Interesting stuff, but not helping me learn about schizophreniform disorders and antipsychotic pharmacology!

he he, sorry! and yes very intersting too me also!

wow

U]Mod note[/U]: All Zenithar66’s posts to date have been moved to here. Despite his/her claims to the contrary, it’s plainly apparent that the intention is to poke holes in evolutionary theory using some of the age-old creationist techniques…

“It’s all just speculation.…”

I have not said its ALL just specualtion, of course their is much speculation WITHIN the theory, i accept evolution has occured and we are indeed all related by DNA as far as i can tell.

“It’s not proven….”

what are you referrign too here
if you are referring to proposed co opting of enzymes at a time we cannot observe then clearly its not proven, scientists freely admit they specualte on evolution of mitosis etc...what is the problem here?
evolution IS proven, what is the problem.

“Scientists are not unified in their opinions….”

I have not said scientists are not uniform, and if i did say it, it would not be to disprove evolution, just an observation(i honestly cant recall if i did)

“I can’t see/understand how X could have happened; therefore it must not have happened.…”

i didnt say it didnt happen, nor did i say i dont understand how it "happened". I know how it has been proposed to have occured, but i am not saing therefore it must not have happened, clearly topo did evolve, clearly its here, but whats not clear is the way in which it "came to be"..
how is this denying evolution, this is quite a strange way to filter skepticism.

oh, and do you understand HOW it happened? I'd like you to enlighten me.

“How can enzyme X have evolved when its function is irreducibly complex….” (or paraphrasing thereof)

I said nothing about an enzyme being IC and i am not making that claim, although interstingly many scientists are now propounding that IC systms would be expected to evolve..I think the IC argument is intersting, I dont think it would disprove evolution, at the most it would make us question its mechanisms. again this is not denying evolution,

he he sorry!

oh and just so you know we can continue this(grrrrr!) in the....gulp......denial of evolution thread!! sorry for the inconvenience.

The specific details of the evolution of specific mechanisms is speculation.
But the theory itself, that complex mechanisms can develop through gradual change... that's something that that seems consistent with everything we observe.
So yes, we speak of evolution as if it as if it's true.

yes, evolution is true i agree. But what evidence do we have that mutations can ACCRUE to produce anything usefull, let alone those adaptions we actually see in nature, or for that matter coevolution of parts.
or something as logical as looking EXACTLY like a leaf etc..
there is no reason to expect such complexity, why not stay lookign a bit like a leaf, or just gree? people seem to think that, once you look a bit like a leaf then the magic of selection takes over and propels you to ever higher complexities. when infact the mutations must occur first over many many many generations before they are "selected"..

i dont see the evidence that complex mechanisms can evolve through(evolutions proposed mechansims) gradual change?
Only that certain mutations may on very rare occasions express a protein differently etc thereby giving an adavantage, its quite a large leap to go from to extrapolating ontop of the compelx mechanisms(actaully nature much more then compelx, its co ordinated) we see...

Yes, of course. That's what people do as a matter of course.
When you're evaluating a car, you don't need to know the specifics of how the iron was mined.

your car analogy is good, but of course it dosent hold up in a sense because many scientist indeed ARE tryign to find out how particular pecies of the car(organism) came to be, or how they evolved etc. many others simply presume its origin and go from there instead of reevaluating the power of the mechanisms(have you ever seen a paper that evaluates the mechanism as applied to nature? id love to see it.)

It seems to me that you're looking for answers to questions that can't be answered except by speculation, and complaining when people speculate about those answers.

I assure you im not simply "complaining"but inquiring heavily since,as you can proberbly tell, i am not yet convinced..nothing wrong with speculation either, once is based on somethign solid.
so they cant be answered, I agree, but does that mean we should presume HOW it happend? again What is the evidence that mutatios can accrue to produce complex co ordinated systems? and co evolution of those systems?

There is plenty of evidence of enzymes performing more than one function, so yes, there is good reason to believe that prexisting enzymes can be coopted into enabling new functions.

again, accidental co option of enzymes(got a few examples?) is not good evidence that certain enzymes in the past must have been coopted in a coevolution, otherwise they would not have worked..for instance DNA polymerase is actually held onto the DNA via a mind blowing CLAMP complex that is a ring shaped protein attachign DNApolymease to the DNA itself. But of course the ring shaped clamp is useless on its own(unless we make up hypothetical uses for a ring), it must be LOADED onto the dna by the clamp loader via atp hydrolises...but of course something amazing was discovred about the structure of this clamp, the grooves within its ring MATCH the grooves of teh dna? so it fits like a screw mechanism!!. the ring then bind polyemrase and flies forward a 1000 ntides persection in eucaryotes!

amazingly because the laggign strand must be synthesised bit by bit in okazaki fragments due to both the antiparallel nature of DNA's prime ends and the unidirectionallity of polyerase..this clamp has to be constanly loaded on and of on and off on and off while moving this fast.
first of all its like something out of a sci fi movie and when i try to apply gradual accidental changes to its development i simply hit wall of incredulity!

second, seeign a few mutations causing enzymes to have novel functions does not accout for the fact that in the past, many of these functions would have to be present simultanesouly...i mean, what came first, clamp or clamp loader, how can those grooves that fit the dna gradually evolve?
since if the clamp doesnt fit dna, its game over...it even has a gap between 2 of its sub units to let the spiraling helix escape as the clamp moves forward! if the gap wasnt there?

how can we simply, in one breath admit, we can only speculate, but in the other claim there is good evidence for the "origin" or "co option" of these mind numbing systems..(of course this all leaves out regulation and transferases as applie to these clmaps)..intersting the clamps are uqiquitous across all life, does this mean(this is a question) that we would assume it evolved multiple times? if so.....holy shit!

again, this is arguing from incredulity, but not becuase GOD DID IT.
But becuase as i become aquainted with the mechanisms given the task, the task seems less and less plausible...

I know what you mean by need. What you seems to be missing is that evolution theory says that if some mechanisms existed before it was needed, then that mechanism must have been useful before it was needed.

yes, because it MUST say that, otherwise it would totally implausible for such systems to "arise", how does saying other systems MUST have been usefull even begin to prove the mechanisms of evolution?
I personally dont know how it happened, and i am open to all opinions, even the ones you suggest(and science of course) but only when i see sufficient reason to do so.

Do you see that a mechanism can be useful but not needed?
indeed i do, but i dont really see what this says?

With eye evolution, you are again looking for details that can never be known. All we can do is speculate of possibilities - and yes, such speculation is useful because it does indeed show that the mechanisms of evolution are potentially up to the task.

this is what irks me(not you), that, as you have rightly said, we indeed have only speculaition as a tool to probe such matters(and imo, flimsy evidence)..but at the same time those who question it are looked down on and there threads get moved(case in point!)..
Indeed how can we say evolutions mechanisms are up to the task if all we can do is speculate, mutations have never been shown to accrue to produce something even a millionth as complex as an eye so what is wrong with being utterly skeptical of such assertions(and indeed there are those popularizing science such as dawkins and millar who insist this is how it happened...) they dont even consider(that ive seen) that it could be utterly wrong!

Not necessarily. If a particular DNA sequence sometimes supercoils on duplication and sometimes does not, then it can replicate without a topoisomerase mechanism (ie it doesn't need it), but it will do so more successfully with a topoisomerase mechanism (ie it can use it).

first off, this is speculation of course. nothign wrong wtih that just pointing it out..

now, if there is evidence of DNA uncoiling itself id like too see it for sure.
helicase is required in modern DNA to uncoil ahead of the fork as well as SSB's(single stranded binding proteins) to protect the exposed backbone(amazing!), so indeed if a past dna could sometimes uncoil itself it would be almost ahead of its time!
but of course without SSB's the hypothetical back bone of this DNA would be in deep trouble considering the enviroments it was in...
either way, there was a time in the past(following evolutions path here ) that topo was "coopted", my qualm is

A...could this actually occur via the mechanissm

B...could it happen "on time" for when dna could not able uncoil itself by "vibrating"..

cant you see the sheer amount of things that need to be there at one time simply to replicated dna, simply to get moving along it, and the amount of separate proteins(even assuming they are much less numerous and much less conplicated then today, although im assuming we have no fossil proteins so we dont really know if thats true?) required to be moving at the SAME SPEED, if helicase goes too fast behind the fork, crash, if topo, or its hypothesised gyrase ancestors didnt move the same speed as the rest of the forks holoenzyme, and especially the helicases then houste we have a problem!!

sorry bout the long answers!

I suspect (but don't know) that supercoiled DNA with at least one free end may untangle itself through random vibrations. Againm such DNA doesn't need topo, but will replicate faster with it.
oh having one free end would certainly not uncoil DNA, as it is bound so tightly that boiling water is required to loosen it without helicases..interstingly there are usually more then one free end in modern DNA, yet topo is required

its like pulling a rope tighter, there will always be free ends on both prime ends, but once you get to a certain tightness(dna is already supertight without supercoilding!) then it will not uncioil itself, not a chance.!(of course i am open to evidence to the contrary)

No, it can't be proven. All that can be said (as with any theory) is that it is consistent with what we observe. Not shoddy evidence, either, despite what you might have read elsewhere.

you say there is evidence? what is the modern evidence that such a coordinated evolution of parts is possible..
For me, at the minute, it is actaully the best case against the mechanisms(co evolution of parts i mean, which is, ubiuitious throughout nature!) this is of course skipping over the fact that its leg skin is pulled supertight to stop its vessels bursting(co evolution?) and it has an amazing system to stop its head vessels exploding in its headd when it bends down(co evolution?)...

people alwasy say, sexual selection made the neck longer as if that explaisn all this!

You give lots of examples of amazing developments... but the whole point of evolution is that it's only the successful developments that survive. So we obviously don't see orchids that don't get pollinated, fish and trees that can't survive in their environment, frogs whose eggs are eaten by carnivorous plants, fruitflies who can't inseminate or be inseminated, plants living underwater or underground that can't survive there, beetles that live where they can't get enough water, or whatever.

and yet, the mechanisms can explain it?
if we dont see all those "defective" organisms you have named then why not? if evolution is an ongongi process, and they existed in the past, then why not now?(this is not a big problem or part of my argument and i likely made a silly mistake but im just inquiring)

Yes, they are amazing. No, we'll never know the precise details of their evolutionary trajectory. Yes, they are all consistent with evolution.

yet, that evolutionary trajectory WAS through the proposed mechanisms?
they are consistent with change over time, thats it..
since all of them would reqiure the accumulation of MANy beneficail mutations over long time periouds then i dont see the evidence we have for this accumulation..

Some have simple explanations - the easiest in that list is the length of fruitfly ovarian tubes.

care to explain? i'd certainly be intersted

That's an important claim, and one that can be directly tested.
But it's also important not to make judgements of probability by intuition - our intuition is woefully inadequate for that task./
very important claim indeed, and your right I jumped the gun saying i agree, but it is very intersting!(for the life of me i cant remember but recently i read an amazing article about a gene in ecoli called LEXA i think, and this may match into the directed mutations theory somehow..

when the researches deactivated this gene, the organism NO LONGER UNDERWENT MUTATIOS AT ALL, not even when exposed to radiation!!
could this be a built in adaptions mechanissm to respond to the enviroment?
pure specualtion but quite intersting, check it out if you want )

Why do you find it ludicrous, specifically? I'll have a read.

I'll answer this below.

What you're talking about seems to be the idea of irreducible complexity.

I am not tryign to prove IC, if that somehow rears its head then i cant help it, im just following my own line of inquiry but i neither think that IC disproves evolution or that it is prove of a Designer.

I'll have a look at the meiosis evolution paper.

zenith said:
1. if you belive there was no first cell simply because its according to darwinian theory then your already in trouble, since logic suggests that indeed, if there are cells now, and all cells are the result of multiple cell division over long periods of time then it follows there was a "mother cell"
its simple logic freind.
That "logic" is an error - it assumes a factual reality that is not necessary or inevitable, and that we have very good reason to think is not the case.

Darwinian theory explains observed reality. Your "logic" there assumes a reality contrary to what is observed, and without evidence of its own.

zenith said:
2. the problem is that indeed neo darwinism DOES infact hold to the doctrine that there was a first cell, where do you think cells came from?
the first cell of course!
That is false. You simply don't know what Darwinian evolutionary theory is - you have some kind of bizarre assemblage of creationist nonsense lodged in your brain instead of the actual theory of evolution the rest of us are talking about. Go back to school, study up.
zenith said:
If you have no debate but just want to spread tripe, i suggest you dont visit my threads thanks
There is no debate here - you don't understand the first, fundamental, simple, basics of evolutionary theory. You are the latest of the dozens and dozens of creationist victims who have and probably will wander into these kinds of forums and post garbage from goofball websites. I'm just informing you of that. I'm not debating.
zenith said:
They aren't relevant,

maybe not to you, but to me yes. I now know thanks to my question that it is ineeed irelevant only in the way that it is not a problem. But the fact that i learned that here shows that the question was indeed relevant as a question....if you got that
Sure, I got that - we all learn by asking questions.

You missed the real lesson, though, from the answer: your sources are garbage, you don't know what evolutionary theory is or how to evaluate the evidence for and against it, and so forth.

There are hundreds of such questions available, from your garbage sources and factual ignorance and theoretical confusion. They have all been answered, dozens of times, here and in hundreds of places you could easily find for yourself. Why should we deal with them over and over and over and over, filling a perfectly good forum with pages and pages ot the same bs every time, every time some arrogant little creationist victim takes up the crusade against all of Western science? Are we babysitters, paid to listen to hours of selfish babbling?
zenith said:
I wont be posting any more questions on topics i am not familiar with, happy?
The problem is not questions on topics of interest. The problem is the posting of creationist swill. We're sick of it.
Pete said:
There was no first cell, according to Darwinian evolutionary theory. If you understood Darwinian theory, you would know that. It's basic.

I don't get it.
Do you just mean that there wasn't a clearly defined transition for those events?
Yep. It's like the first eyeball, or the first woodpecker - no such thing.

Only fairly simple things are likely to emerge whole and defined in one step - that's one of the basic premises or starting observations of evolutionary theory.

OK, I read about the lizards.
Do you understand what an (ileo)cecal valve is? Basically, it's a ring of muscle around the terminal ileum that is contracted more often than it is relaxed.

explainingg what it is does not explain its origin as im sure you know.
by saying "basically" i feel you are trivializing(proberbly not on purpose)
the fact that this occured at all, becuase, based on evolutions timescales and mechanissm, this is wholly unexpected, even if no one wants to consider that

Now consider:
There are already rings of muscle all along the ileum, controlled by the mesenteric nervous plexuses, a complex system with a myriad of potential genetic and epigenetic sites for introducing variations in gut motility.
I don't know if there is any more complexity in these particular lizards' cecal valves, so I might be oversimplifying... but I don't think your incredulity is justified.

(edit - interestingly, Answers in Genesis agrees. I'm not sure how I feel about that!)

Amazing? Yes. Ludicrous? I don't think so.

first off, there indeed is more complexity in a cecal valve, that is particular bacteria that need to be in it to help process the vegetal matter.
and its not do to with how complex it is its that it happened at all.
I dont really care if answers in genesis agrees or disagrees since they are so blinded by theism that they actaully dont see that this is evidence against the mechanism..they just really badly dont want a new structure to form or they could be in trouble!

the thing is,

And what alternative is there anyway? You agree that there must be some reason for these lizards to have developed cecal valves, right?

I dont pretend to know the alternative, and yes there was obvisly a reason, but that reason(that they now had to eat predominontly plant matter) is so logical, and the solution so obvious(give them a cecal valve!)
and the change so fast that imo it utterly deifes the mechanisms of evolution as far as i can see for now. wouldnt it be much more likely that in 36 years the gene wouldnt be expressed and they would simply die out?
isnt that much more likely?

[/quote]One other thing to consider: It seems that ileocecal valves are not unknown in that family (Lacertidae) of lizards. So some of the genetic code might have been existent in that species but suppressed. To be sure, researchers would have to check whether cecal valves occur congenitally in any of the original species members, perhaps by dissecting a few thousand newborn lizards.
I will answer this with your below question..

Post-postscript:
A followup paper, Anatomical and Physiological Changes Associated with a Recent Dietary Shift in the Lizard Podarcis sicula (pdf), found 16 of 24 lizards from the new island had cecal valves, and also that (much more interestingly), 20 lizards from the island that were fed athropods only for 15 weeks had no cecal valves. (I don't know how old those lizards were, so I don't know whether they had cecal valves and lost them again, or what.)

The researchers say that this indicates that the cecal valves are the result of plasticity rather than genetic variation, i.e. that the lizards had the potential for cecal valves already, but that potential was only realised after eating a plant rich diet (this can also explain some of the head morphology changes - more chewing means bigger jaw muscles and larger or denser bony attachments, even with the same genes. Just like a guy who works out will have bigger muscles and stronger bones than his identical twin).

by sayign it is the "result of plasticity" simply trivilazes the issue.
first off, yes lizards do indeed have cecal valves in other places.
and yes the original population could eat plant matter(but it was most likely accidental because there plant matter cosumption was only 4 to 7 percent of there diet from the original island)..

my point is this, even if, we assume that all the information is there for a cecal valve AND it was present in its ancestors(not from the original island) this just makes the issue as bad becuae..

"but that potential was only realised after eating a plant rich diet (this can also explain some of the head morphology changes - more chewing means bigger jaw muscles and larger or denser bony attachments, even with the same genes. Just like a guy who works out will have bigger muscles and stronger bones than his identical twin"

this makes zero sense evolutionarily..this did not happen BECUASE they were eating a plant rich diet, unless directed mutations indeed are true, this is misleading, going by evolution what happened was..that gene just HAPPENED to be expressed at just the right time when it was "needed"(now you know what i mean by need!)..and that coincidentally coincided with the new enviroment, this is how evolution works..
of course bigger muscles is ALOT different to bigger jaws..and there is no reason to expect this change to co evolve wiht the cecal valve(unless they simply mean selection for the bigger jaws in the community and not actually morphologicaly bigger jaws anew)..

if you can follow that my point is

if they had the gene, evolution is stochastic, each mutation is independant of one another..

if this gene got expressed at this time, that is even more improbable then a mutation(i think there DNA was identical?) becuase there is no(as evolutionsists like to claim) "pressure" for a particular gene to be re expressed, that is pure chance, and in only 30 generations? that is just incredible and makes zero sense evolutionarily and i personally think it is good evidence against the mechanisms..
Clearly, they should try feeding some lizards from the original population on plant diets and see if they also develop cecal valves.[/quote]

good idea, though of course that would not explain the sheer feat of what has occured with the others..i mean, seriosly, dont you think this is just a little bit fishy and soemthign else could be at work?

And in hindsight, it's a shame they didn't collect and preserve specimens from the introduced population each year, to see when and how the morphological changes developed. Hopefully, someone is doing a repeat experiment as we speak. I've emailed Bart Vervust (who just completed his doctorate on these lizards) to ask..

oh hell yes, i would love a follow up!!

... what am i supposed to do, just simply take it on faith that the proposed mechanisms can indeed account for all thsoe adaptions (and so many others). ...
Creature give birth to offsprings quite like themselfves with more genetic variation in those that reproduce sexually in each genertation.

There is an enormous amount of information stored in the newly formed individuals, even when they are only a single cell, that tells it how to develope. - I would assume that you accept these obvious facts.

The mechanism of evolution is quite simple. Sometimes this "how to make" instruction mechanism is corrupted but only very slightly if the offspring is to be viable. That is the only "mechanism" but all that is all that needed, given enough genreations, to make amazingly different offsprings for their ancester some 100 millions of generations earlier.

What about this do you dispute, doubt, or not understand?

Creature give birth to offsprings quite like themselfves with more genetic variation in those that reproduce sexually in each genertation.

There is an enormous amount of information stored in the newly formed individuals, even when they are only a single cell, that tells it how to develope. - I would assume that you accept these obvious facts.

The mechanism of evolution is quite simple. Sometimes this "how to make" instruction mechanism is corrupted but only very slightly if the offspring is to be viable. That is the only "mechanism" but all that is all that needed, given enough genreations, to make amazingly different offsprings for their ancester some 100 millions of generations earlier.

What about this do you dispute, doubt, or not understand?

You are simply regurgitating the modern synthesis, if you have actaully read my posts i said i indeed belive evolution occurs, but that random mutatiosn and "selection" simply cannot account for countless adaptions in nature as well as countless molecular proceceses unless we simply pre suppose how it happened. creating variation in you offspring does not kick start an event that will lead to a new adaption, there is no forsight, and i would love too see the evidence that mutations can accrue to produce a complex structure.

the way you speak you seem to have simply swallowed the party line without critically evaluating it. how many things does it have to be not able to accoutn for before we realise the mechanissm aren't up to the task?

co evolution of parts, like the girrafe i discussed in that topisomerase thread earlier as well as sex, for me (among countless examples) simply must be taken on faith..but i find myself unable too do such a thing.

i said i indeed belive evolution occurs, but that random mutatiosn and "selection" simply cannot account for countless adaptions in nature as well as countless molecular proceceses . . .

That's sorta the definition of evolution. (Random mutation combined with natural selection.)

creating variation in you offspring does not kick start an event that will lead to a new adaption, there is no forsight

That's exactly right. That's why it requires millions upon millions of "bad" mutations to produce even one beneficial one - and why lamarckism isn't needed to explain the diversity of life.

co evolution of parts, like the girrafe i discussed in that topisomerase thread earlier as well as sex, for me (among countless examples) simply must be taken on faith..but i find myself unable too do such a thing.

Then use science instead.

You are simply regurgitating the modern synthesis
No, just stating an OBVIOUS TRUTH, unless you can show some limitations (other than your assertions) on the extent of change that can be achieved one small step at a time over very long perios.

... random mutatiosn and "selection" simply cannot account for countless adaptions in nature as well as countless molecular proceceses
You are asserting this with zero support, for a claim which has support for the opposit claim. Namely it is know that small changes do occrur and not reason is know that limits what gross change may accumulate by many small steps.
... unless we simply pre suppose how it happened.
Nothing "presuposed"-only thousand of observations that small change do accumulate into larger ones.
... creating variation in you offspring does not kick start an event that will lead to a new adaption, there is no forsight, and i would love too see the evidence that mutations can accrue to produce a complex structure.
Do you take your anti-biotics for mqny day after you are "well"? Have you read the posts about the Preá which due to about 7 highly unusual circumatance change into an different species (can not breed with the guiny pigs they evolved from in only 8000 years) with very different physical appearance, including radical relocation of their eyes to be forward looking with over lapping field of vision for good depth perception, instead of side mounted for nearly 360 coverage as most animals of prey have. (They were the only mamual on the tiny island with a food limited population of 42 or less - many starved each generation so better depth percepton was highly favored, etc. and imporvements spread thru out the tiny population gene pool rapidly.)?
... the way you speak you seem to have simply swallowed the party line without critically evaluating it.
No. I gave the REASONS why I think change occurred and that a tiny (1 in a million?) of the changes gave better reproductive adantage. (probably at leat 99 of every 100 was fatile prior to reproduction
how many things does it have to be not able to accoutn for before we realise the mechanissm aren't up to the task?
One, which is impossible to achieve via accumulation of small chanfge. The problem is not in postulating one set of small change that could accumulate make the tranformation, but in estimating which of thousands actually made it. Execpt in a few cases, such as the recent transfromation of a land only animal into the sea only whale, where fossils of all the intermediate stages exist, we will never know exactly what the intermediates looked like.

[/quote]That's sorta the definition of evolution. (Random mutation combined with natural selection.)[/quote]

the fact that you say it "sorta" the definitino shows just how hard it is to define, in my view it is change over time and species developing and adapting.

That's exactly right. That's why it requires millions upon millions of "bad" mutations to produce even one beneficial one - and why lamarckism isn't needed to explain the diversity of life.

so the theory goe, and its easy to believe by simply saying it. of course, saying it proves nothing, if you'd read my threads you'd see its the mechanisms that are my problem not the fact that evolution OCCURS
Its not about whats needed or not, its about assesing the evidence critically.

show me some kind of evidence taht co evolution of many separate parts could occur in the girrafe...
that mutations can accrue to do such thigns, im not talking about single mutattions altering teh expression of a gene,

Then use science instead.[/QUOTE]

No, just stating an OBVIOUS TRUTH, unless you can show some limitations (other than your assertions) on the extent of change that can be achieved one small step at a time over very long perios.

what exact obvious truth are you stating?

[/quote]You are asserting this with zero support, for a claim which has support for the opposit claim. Namely it is know that small changes do occrur and not reason is know that limits what gross change may accumulate by many small steps. [/quote]

so because small changes occur, therefore evolutions mechanism account for everthing?, even at the molecular level and co evolution of parts as well as very very unexpectadly fast drastic changes in morphology like those wall lizards? you sound slightly like a zealot. my mind is open, and just becuase i am not convinced does not mean i am closed to that..

[/quote]Nothing "presuposed"-only thousand of observations that small change do accumulate into larger ones. Do you take your anti-biotics for mqny day after you are "well"?
so i am presuming that you have looked at every scientific paper ever written about evolution? since you KNOW that there is no presuposittions?
of COURSE there are presuppositions, its part of science!
but to presuppose that mutation and "selection" are the answer to the origin of all adaption is fallacy and most people dont actually study nature with a deep interset like a botanist for example, they just get there nylonase and antibiotic examples and extrapolate from there so that they maintain a cosy world view...

Have you read the posts about the Preá which due to about 7 highly unusual circumatance change into an different species (can not breed with the guiny pigs they evolved from in only 8000 years) with very different physical appearance, including radical relocation of their eyes to be forward looking with over lapping field of vision for good depth perception, instead of side mounted for nearly 360 coverage as most animals of prey have. (They were the only mamual on the tiny island with a food limited population of 42 or less - many starved each generation so better depth percepton was highly favored, etc. and imporvements spread thru out the tiny population gene pool rapidly.)?

what is this supposed to prove? that change occurs in nature, becuase if so, point proven, i dont see what this adds to the "converstation"..
any chance you could link me to a paper or article dealing with this?
No. I gave the REASONS why I think change occurred and that a tiny (1 in a million?) of the changes gave better reproductive adantage. (probably at leat 99 of every 100 was fatile prior to reproduction One, which is impossible to achieve via accumulation of small chanfge.
first off, reasons are not evidence, second, chance mutatios giving an individual a slight benefit simply says NOTHIGN about the origin of adaptions such as the desert beatle, the orchids that smell of carrion, bladderwort traps, meiosis, mitosis or cell regulatino and growth, its so much more complicated then those out there(like yourself) would make it out to be,, its trivailizing the most amazing things in nature.

The problem is not in postulating one set of small change that could accumulate make the tranformation, but in estimating which of thousands actually made it. Execpt in a few cases, such as the recent transfromation of a land only animal into the sea only whale, where fossils of all the intermediate stages exist, we will never know exactly what the intermediates looked like.

i dont really get what your saying here but what i will say is i am not convinced, but i dont doubt evolution occurs(its the mechanissm i argue).
It seems there is something wrong with simply questining these mechanisms since my posts have been moved with, unfortunatly, unfounded and false accusatinos which i rebutted in a previous thread..

We need to realise how little we know, even things that seem concrete one often finds they are simply models, not truths, the world is more amazing then your quick fire explanations would allow.
There is much still to be learned, dont be so sure, thats all im saying!

zenith said:
if you have actaully read my posts i said i indeed belive evolution occurs, but that random mutatiosn and "selection" simply cannot account for countless adaptions in nature as well as countless molecular proceceses unless we simply pre suppose how it happened.
You need to provide some reasoning or evidence for your otherwise evidently contradicted and as yet completely unsupported opinion in the matter.

Since you don't understand Darwinian theory, that will be difficult for you - asserting such nonsense as the logical necessity of a "first cell", or "first time DNA supercoiled", and the like, simply reveals a lack of comprehension.

As does this:
zenith said:
show me some kind of evidence taht co evolution of many separate parts could occur in the girrafe...
On the one hand, we have the existence of giraffes. That's pretty good evidence. On the other hand, we have to deal with the probability that you are imagining some kind of single step "co-evolution" that amounts to a bunch of coordinated and complex changes happening at once by chance, and are not willing to disabuse yourself of that creationist indoctrination and completely wrongheaded misunderstanding of Darwinian theory - so you can't see how the existence of a giraffe is evidence of anything at all.

You're going to tell us that there had to be a first giraffe, for example.
zenith said:
so because small changes occur, therefore evolutions mechanism account for everthing?
No. That's just the initial observation. The explication of the theory starts with that fact, and other sound and verifiable circumstances (the small changes are inherited, they are selected, they differ in their reproductive success over generations of time, etc) and proposes a mechanism of evolution to account for the observed reality of living beings. The predictions made by reasoning from that proposed mechanism are then checked, and found to be successful and useful. After a long and thorough process of checking and verifying and using, the proposal takes on the role of theory. Darwinian theory ranks among the most successful, most thoroughly vetted, most reliable and inspirational, and most useful in wide varieties of application, in all of science.
zenith said:
It seems there is something wrong with simply questining these mechanisms
You haven't, as yet, questioned anything actually part of Darwinian theory. Your questions are about creationist delusions, misunderstandings and wrongheaded inventions falsely asserted to be "evolution" or "theory of evolution".
zenith said:
There is much still to be learned, dont be so sure, thats all im saying!
What we are sure of is that you do not understand Darwinian theory.

You're in the position of somebody asserting that things made of steel can't float, because steel is heavier than water. You simply don't comprehend the theory involved.

Last edited:
Ice, I applaud your efforts, but really. . . why bother?

A giraffe, though, is the perfect jumping off point (and you'll pardon me if I'm repeating something you already stated): Why would a god make the laryngeal nerve of a giraffe so circuitous, unless he was a crafty fucker and wanted to fool the world into believing in evolution!!!

~String

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back