Your name-and why!

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Pollux V, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

What????

The only Paul Robeson I knew of was an American Black.

Did a Google. No Welch Paul Robeson ... But came up with
    an Elizbeth Welch with whom he was associated.

So ... What are you talking about?

Take care

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Robeson Registered Senior Member

sorry about the confusion there, I consider him welsh...not because of his birthplace but because of his ties.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Does anyone know if Tyler means anything?

8. Xev Registered Senior Member

Tyler:

It comes from 'tiler' - back in the middle ages, you were often given the name of you occupation. Could be either a tailor or somone who installs tiles.

Wat Tighler (Taylor - Tighler) led the Peasant's Revolt in medieval England.

Interesting - you've mentioned that you are of Jewish descent in 'Politics'. 'Cohen' is a common Jewish name, so common that there was a project to find a certain gene specific to Jews of a very specific ancestry - it's hard to explain;

Checkiddout: http://www.mycweb.com/megillah/jul2000/jewish_genes.html

And of course, Tyler Durdan was the hero of 'Fight Club'. You're much cuter than Pitt, though.

Now, my real name is from the feminist and birth control rights advocate Margaret Sanger.

http://www.time.com/time/time100/leaders/profile/sanger.html

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about/thisispp/sanger.html

9. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Ah well we all have a bit of jewish blood in us. I'm half jew, half catholic. I cancel myself out so I have no religion!

:bugeye: not accepted in church........or cynogague (if that's how you spell it):bugeye:

Just kidding. I choose not to go.

Now all I have to do is wait for Yogamojo to come back, we have the same birthday!

10. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

My user name is self explainatory. My first name is Clint and I am a women.

11. spin Registered Member

deus ex machina

Shrike,

Actually 'deus ex machina' means 'GOD from the machine' in Latin. I bought Deus EX and the pronunciation on the box wasn't correct (at least according to all the Latin sources I've browsed several times). The proper pronunciation is "day oos ayx mah keena." It comes from the Greek 'theos ek mekhanes,' which was a term derived from Greek theater. In the end of a Greek play, when a deity, such as Zeus or whoever, came in at the last minute to save the day, the actor representing the god was lowered onto the stage (in order to show the deity coming from on high). To do this, they had a basic machine that lowered the platform he was standing on. Thus this was called 'the god from the machine.' In literary and movie criticism, the term Deus Ex Machina has come to mean the miraculous solution of a story by unexpected means. Like when the hero, who has been trying to find a million dollars to pay off his friend's gambling debt throughout the story, suddenly has an uncle die and just leave him the money. It is often a negative criticism, because that type of ending means that the hero didn't have to accomplish anything.

just thought you might like to know...

12. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Thanks a lot, spin. Normally I try not to base my knowledge on what I find on the inside of a cd case but I couldn't back up the results with a latin-english dictionary I had. (btw I changed my name, I was shrike)

13. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

deus ex machina is pronounced dejoes x maahina, the chi short and starting deep in the throat. Not like chinese or machine.

And it is one of the greatest games I ever played! The joint the AI and govern the world was THE best ending ever

14. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

When we studied Latin in primary school, we never pronounced deus "dehoes". It was "Day-Us" for us.

15. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

I didn't say dehoes, but dejoes.

Dey us... well, it depends on how you pronounce the "u". Not like in bus, but like in book, or like in douche.

Oh yes, a 'j' is pronounced different in English... so a 'y' is a better way to write it out. Sorry 'bout that.

I'm sure we're of topic.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2002
  16. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

be clear !!!!

What the F*uck are you trying to say?!?N!?!n ,KJç!jQLMzkd,nmlksdgmokeqgfmlqkjfmofli qdgfmoqgf £

¨*%*
    %***¨%*¨M*%

17. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I could ask the same thing, I didn't quite make out that last part.

18. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

If you mean something I said, please quote it and ask a question about it.

But I can asure you that none of it is very interesting.

19. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

woooos isht!?!

20. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"It comes from 'tiler' - back in the middle ages, you were often given the name of you occupation. Could be either a tailor or somone who installs tiles.

Wat Tighler (Taylor - Tighler) led the Peasant's Revolt in medieval England."

Hmmm, very interesting!

"Interesting - you've mentioned that you are of Jewish descent in 'Politics'. 'Cohen' is a common Jewish name, so common that there was a project to find a certain gene specific to Jews of a very specific ancestry - it's hard to explain;"

Actually, Cohen isn't my real last name. When my family came from Russia their last name (Mantischia I think was it. Most of my family that knows for sure is dead or senial) was 'too Jewish' and hard to pronounce, so it was changed to Cohen. Cohen was actually assigned to many Eastern European Jews solely because it was a simple to pronounce Jewish name.

"And of course, Tyler Durdan was the hero of 'Fight Club'. You're much cuter than Pitt, though."

Aww...... how sweet! And your much cuter than the feminist! Er. Or so I assume!

21. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I'll restate my name for the sciforum newbies:

Pollux is a solar system. Pollux V is the fifth planet, so it is pronounced:

Paul-ux five.

There.

22. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Joeman, you're a woman????

In that case, I truly apologize for playing such an evil trick on you.

I mean, men make fools of themselves all the time, so it would have made no difference.

23. Gil_W HU-Hybrid Registered Senior Member

HU-hybrid:

"Hybrid" is a breed-crossing result between humans and aliens.
    "HU-hybrid" is a very specific kind of hybrids.

I can't tell you yet...