Yo! Canadians!

Discussion in 'World Events' started by DeeCee, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Padma Spankologist Registered Senior Member

I hate the idea of culling any animal. The last time I inadvertantly viewed a fur seal pup clubbed over the head, I could not stop crying! The look on it's face was so, so sad...it was terrified. Anyway I agree with Jin. There must be another more humane way for these animals to die. I care how animals die and I just don't understand people who don't. "Animals are stupid..." HAH! What a load of crap.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Undecided Banned Banned

I care how animals die and I just don't understand people who don't.

Although I don't know why they don't kill the animals another way, it may actually be because the most humane way is the way that is employed now. They most likely knock the animal out with the first blow and it dies largely ignorant of the pain. It looks painful, and I bet it is if the animal was still conscious.

"Animals are stupid..." HAH! What a load of crap.

You are right, that is a load of crap. No one has said that animals were stupid, but you cannot deny that we are intellectually superior to animals.

Jin:

They seem to analyze the smell. As far as fearing me... well, I'm pretty frightful but I'm suggesting they understand the concept of consequences.

That's instinctual not intellectual, it's a result of classical conditioning. In order for that to work you must do something repetitively to scare them away.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jinchilla Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

Actually, BigBlue said animals are stupid and we don't have to be nice to them. But he also said, humans are stupid so it's pretty inclusive.

I've spoken to them in a deep tone which they probably equate to growling but, how is that different from your father telling you not to do something and you not doing it. I think we're all classically conditioned in that sense.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hastein Welcome To Kampuchea Registered Senior Member

As far as I know, the large group of mammals have an internal instinct never to bite the testicles of their opponent. I'm not sure if this applies to squirrels, but I know it applies to some sort of rodent.

8. jinchilla Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

I had two baby squirrels that fell out of their nest from about 30' up. Their eyes were still closed and a cat was pawing at them in my ba... anyway, to get to the point:

The male was a horny little sonofabitch always trying to mount his sister and quite a bit bigger than her too. One day she apparently gave him a nip on the pecker and it became infected. Got huge then... he died from it. Never got to release him.

Totally unrelated to the thread, sorry.

9. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Thats the perfect opposite of the truth.
    Name one person who's studies animals seriously that isn't opposed to their mistreatment? I'd like one.
    Invariably people that pay attention to animals are the ones that have respect for them.
    Without exception. There are people that have respect for animals and know nothing other than how 'cute' they are, but everybody that really studies animals and animal behaviour respects them.
    You think david attenborough would be 'for' the clubbing of baby seals?
    Have you spent more time around animals than him? Are you more intelligent?

10. jinchilla Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

fireguy, who are you calling anthopocentric? The people who think humans are superior or the people who don't?

I don't know if the term paternalism is properly applied in this sense either.

Also, a girlfriend and I once took her little girl to a dog fight. I lost $150 that night! Then we took her to a race track so she could see how they trained the greyhounds with live rabbits. And another time, I raped my girlfriend right in front of her. We wanted to be sure she'd have no illusions about the real world. he he

11. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

Get away with you!
    There only animals we all know that. Whats wrong with suggesting that chasing a terrified seal across an iceflow demeans the human condition? This is not about the seals, it's about the hunters.
    She already knows life is cruel. She figured that one out when I left her mother. Watching big fella's with ice axes killing twelve day old seals only serves to reinforce the fact.
    Perhaps by adopting a poor attitude to seal hunters she is, in her own childlike way, trying to reduce the overall amount of cruelty in the world.
    Should she stop?

Kill em if you have too just make an effort to do it quickly.
    Or am I asking the impossible?
    Dee Cee

12. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

jinchilla

Since you asked, I'll tell ya:
    Answer to question: the people who think humans are superior...

May i suggest to you, in the hopes of clarifying, this thread and most of its posts are from people who think they know whats best for a fuq'n seal, and THAT stems from their anthropocentrism. Do you get it now jin...?

A club over the head seems to me like a quick way. And inexpensive too.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
  13. Bells Staff Member

I agree with you. I think anyone with an ounce of decency would agree with you. Shame the blood thirsty cowards with the big sticks don't. They're probably thinking... get to club baby animal.. satisfy bloodlust... make money from pelts..

It's bad enough that these animals supposedly have to be killed... it's just that the way they do it is even more disgusting. What I'd like to see is someone chase after these so called hunters across the ice with a pick. In this case, I hope that what goes around does come around.

Lets face it, if someone did this to their pet or to any animal that we see in suburbia, they'd be arrested and jailed. I say lock these so called hunters up in a polar bear enclosure

.. watch the hunter become the hunted...

14. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

Bells...

Thats the point bells, it's not suburbia - it's the WILD. You know, that thing you read about....

15. jinchilla Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

LOL! fireguy, I wouldn't suggest I know what's best for a "fuq'n seal" but, I hardly think it's a clubbing. Unless you have an alternate definition or application for "best" as well. LOL!

However, upon further consideration, clubbing probably is the cheapest method.

16. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

You're an ignorant jackass.
    If I was anthropomorphising seals I'd want people to smash their heads in.

And whats it feel like to say humans are superior? Don't you feel like a douche saying things like that? Its like you're a villain out of a cartoon. Mr burns without the funny.
    Its what I'd try to imagine someone saying if I was forced to skin them alive, just to make it easier.
    I can't believe people seriously say things like that and don't feel pathetic.
    You're not joking right? You are being serious?

Its bizarre, what kind of response are you expecting? 'aahhh good point'

It just has that feel to it of someone bragging about being able to beat up a baby, no respect can come from making such a comment. Especially if you're not joking.

17. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

Hey Dr.Lou, Fuq you! haha.
    No I'm not joking, not at all. Furthermore, I have no idea what you're rambling about - please clarify (anthropocentric and anthropomorphic are not the same thing, jackass)... That goes for you too Jin..., maybe it's the laughter..

EDIT: Sorry, i see the confusion here jin...(i re-read and saw the light).. 'Best' was not the best word to use unless i qualified it

. My intent was to imply that some people here seem to think that clubbing is not the best way to kill a seal - if that position isn't anchored in empathy for the seal then what is it anchored in? Maybe ignorance, maybe arrogance, maybe...???

18. jinchilla Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

Now you made me go and delete a post.

If best = cost effective, I agree, it is best.

But... I would define best as a compromise between cost effectiveness and humane treatment.

So I can see clubbing as an effective method but not the best. Matter of opinion.

19. If you have to hunt the seals at least you could try to kill them quickly. I think that anyone who would skin an animal alive is either really mentally ill or has had a really harsh experience with that animal. What could a seal do to create that kind of hate?

20. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

Whats the difference?
    The photo's I see seem to be full of people. How wild is that?
    If seal clubbing is an acceptable practice then why not breed the seals keep them in the clothes shop and let the customer choose the sealskin they prefer before the shop assistants beats it to death in front of them. That way you get the hide of your choice while enjoying the sight of your garment 'coming together'!
    Now why don't we do that?
    Common humanity?
    How can I empathise with a seal?
    They don't even have legs, let alone a car and a job!
    As if I know what a seal feels. (Hey I'm a poet and I don't know it!)
    How do you know.
    Did you cover this for your PHD or are you just making it up?

Must try harder....
    Dee Cee

21. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

Even more worrying is The whole thing is justified by the argument that the seals would eat too much fish and that would hurt the fishermen.

Now this tells me that there is too little fish in the first place! another fine example of abusing mother nature.

22. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

If an animal is not endangered and its carcass is useful then kill away. Either all animals are fair game or none are, cuteness shouldn't be a factor. It's the clubbing-them-to-death part I can't figure out though, I can't imagine any justification for that.

23. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

I can imagine one. They enjoy it.

Not something to encourage, methinks.
    Dee Cee