Yes we can... make more war.

Discussion in 'World Events' started by StrawDog, Mar 20, 2009.

1. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Don't you suppose there might be some reason that they are bombing these guys in the first place? How would diplomacy address those reasons, and is there any diplomatic opening on the other side in the first place?

For that matter, what makes you think that they aren't talking with these people?

Moreover, when has diplomacy ever worked, when not backed by credible consequences?

It's high time we figured what our goals and priorities are there. I don't think that there is any national concensus on that subject, at the moment.

Huh? Your use of the term "stabilize" is becoming even more difficult to follow...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

Given the track record, diplomacy is not an option.

This is where it gets interesting. The obvious channels would be the Pakistani government. It seems though, that this (puppet) government is colluding with US forces in targeting the alleged "whatevers" to fulfill its own political ambitions.

Essentially, sending armed drones into sovereign nations is illegal. The tired old excuse that the "war on terror" requires these drastic actions while endangering civilian lives, is beginning to sound tired.

What, talk and bomb them simultaneously?

Honest diplomacy can work wonders. When has war ever worked? The threat of war can only work on the conventional sense.

Yes.

Its more relevant to another thread, and not really important here.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. countezero Registered Senior Member

You don't know what you're talking about. The entire DOD's budget is at historic lows.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Name a few of those instances in past conflicts where diplomacy worked "wonders". I know of none!

World War II, both in Europe and in Japan. The American Civil War. I'm sure that there's lots of other examples where war has worked quite well ...yet I know of no instance where diplomacy did anything but delay a conflict.

Baron Max

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Heh, does that include the expenditure for Iraq and Afghanistan?

I bet they don't lump them together.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

You're right, SAM, but we spent less on both wars than Obama gave out to the banks just the other day!!

We sent $900 million to the Palestinians just recently. Interesting, huh?

We give out more money to other nations, some of them unfriendly bastards, than our entire war budgets!

Baron Max

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

They make guns because there's MONEY to buy them otherwise they can't sell the weapons if no MONEY was available from the opium trade. Take away the opium and you take away the MONEY .

11. John99 Banned Banned

one thing i learned even as a child. when you are nice to people they screw you. maybe i am wrong about this but giving financial support, to me, equals being nice.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

America's massive military aid package to Pakistan has come under scrutiny after allegations that as much as 70% of $5.4bn in assistance has been misspent.

The official said the US did not know what happened to the remaining 70% - approximately $3.8bn - but suspected that some may have been spent on F-16 fighter jets or a new house for an army general.

Other than that, he said, at least half the money was thought to have disappeared. "Who knows, the roads on Constitution Avenue [in Islamabad] may have been paved with part of this money."

13. John99 Banned Banned

Seems like that is always going to be a problem, with most countries anyway.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Not really, if there's people in place to oversee where the money goes, which there damn well should be, from America, then I do not see why the money can';t go to those who really need it instead of the corrupt officals at the top. That or just give aid in other ways like trucks, food, plows, books and so on.

15. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

TO BM:

You give out more than 3 billion to Israel every time. and that 900 million you "gave" to the Palestinians came with requirements which the palestinians have to live up to, otherwise they wont see the money. Ofcourse, that doesnt matter since ISrael wont allow the material in to rebuild in the first place. Funny stuff: US bombs destroyed Gaza, US money was supposed to rebuild Gaza, yet US ally wont let in materials. And if you think that 900 million is a big deal, maybe you should take a look at what other nations donated. The Cairo conference I think donated around 5 billion to Gaza to rebuild and various other Arab countries have pledged to rebuild Gaza. So take your money and shove it.

16. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

Theres no need for them t spend money on guns since they can build them from scratch. All they have to do is promise the people food and shelter and voila: youre veyr own gun store.

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

That's because we like the Israelis a helluva lot more than the Palestinians! The Pals are terrorists, shooting rockets at Israeli citizens. Fuck 'em!

Baron Max

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

The Taliban couldn't build guns if their lives depended on it! ...LOL! Why do you think they use Russian weapons and ammo???

Baron Max

19. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

That's because we like the terrorists a helluva lot more than the Palestinians! The Pals are Muslims, reacting and defending themselves from the terrorists. Fuck 'em!

20. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

I take it you have never been to those areas? Oops, look who Im asking

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And that's the Muslim answer to a myriad of the world's problems.

Baron Max

22. John99 Banned Banned

Same for outsourcing, it can happen with the best intentions but to assume there would be actual control and oversight is a pipe dream.

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Where are the factories for making steel? Whee are the machine shops for making the barrels and actions for those weapons that the Taliban build? ...in their caves??

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max