Xp service pack 2

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by sargentlard, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

o.0 how do you get rid of it... everything it said how to get rid of it didn't work =_ !!! AND it auto loaded

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Control panel > add/remove programs > remove.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

lol that didn't work but i got it fixed now ^^^ thnx thou

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

it worked fine for me. but i dont have any illegal shite on my computer etc. if you do...
    "muhahahahahaha"

8. straydog Registered Member

This Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger is seriously beginning to piss me off.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If I right click on any file my computer goes in to a slow-mo freeze, then eventually get the Dr Watson Postmortem message. Computer can be then brought back to life by closing Dr Watson in Taskbar processes - but right clicking files is vital - both for opening them in applications and renaming or sending to FTP ect ect ect.

Uninstalling SP2 left mutant remnants of SP2 still on my machine which caused it to crash when opening Control Panel or a total crash when pressing any key on keyboard.

Repaired XP but that took my wireless network down and couldn't easily be fixed cause I think XP needed updates I couldn't connect to the net for, so installed SP2 again but this time the Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package, and network came back up - but still this Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger issue on right-click.

Grrrrr

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

so much for a most user friendly os

10. rGEMINI Fallen Entity Registered Senior Member

LOL who every said windows was user friendsly =P

11. SKULLZ Banned Banned

I installed that with no problems,i reckon that if you havnt updated in a while that might be what causes problems,that and antivirus software.My laptop is a couple of years old as well,maybe it affects newer computers more?

I think windows problems are a joke,microsoft is a joke,if this was any other piece of software youd rip the shit out of it and not use it,but cos its windows you have to settle with it no matter how shite it gets.
    Talk about oppression,im glad microsoft dont own the world.

I think i might go anarchist and get a mac one day.

12. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I just installed Service Pack 2 and it works fine for me. I noticed that Microsoft has erased some useless functions of windows as well, like that ridiculous Prefetch function that slowed down the PC when it was booting up.

Also I have the impression that Windows uses my network connection more effectively than before, and I noticed an overall increase in speed.

Yes, I like the SP2.

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Originally Microsoft had a 10% reserved bandwidth function (I think it was 10%) anyhow it was really meant for large networks where redundant bandwidth is used for mail transfers etc, not home PC users, so I would guess they probably worked out a way to deal with that reserved bandwidth in the cases of Home users.

14. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Ah, that may be. I did not look at it in depth yet. Only on a superficial level. But until now I did not have any problem with the serverpack whatsoever.
    Only those new firewall blocking messages are a bit annoying. Every programm that uses internet connection except my browsers were blocked... isn´t that a bit overkill?
    Anyway, I even have more available RAM with SP2. I think Microsoft might have managed do to something good this time. (but I don´t know how good)

15. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

That reservable bandwidth is part of the QoS Packet Scheduler for your network\internet connection, and its default is to reserve 20% bandwidth. I don't think SP2 changed that, because on my computer it still says the default is 20%.

If you want it to give you that 20% back, go to the command line (click run).
    type gpedit.msc
    under Computer Configuration on the left bar, go into Administrative Templates
    go to Network
    go to QoS Packet Scheduler
    double click Limit Reservable Bandwidth
    Enable it
    type 0 (zero) in the box next to "Bandwidth limit (%)"

Although QoS ps is probably already enabled in your connection to the network/internet, you'll want to make sure. So, go to Control Panel
    go to Network Connections
    right click the connection you're using
    select Properties
    make sure there's a check next to QoS Packet Scheduler

16. straydog Registered Member

sargentlard

I found the solution to the right-click freeze DrWatson Postmortem Debugger issue with SP2. At least it works for me and has for others.

After considerable time and messing about - (because I uninstalling SP2 leaves me without internet connection I had to find a fix for it & wasn't keen on the registry edit ) - I'm pretty sure its a DivX issue.

I've got Dr.DivX installed and after uninstalling it, right click is back in business.

Even in you don't have Dr.DivX I'm guessing components of some other DivX products also have the SP2 compatibility problem.

Edit: Also I've just found this as I've researched it some more
    www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips555.html

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I've had no problems with it. On my pc, when it was backing up files, there was one file it couldn't copy because it was still in use. (Don't remember which now.) But, in the actual operation of it I've had no problems whatsoever. It is kindof annoying having the security icon in the taskbar even when hidden. (Makes me think of eating resources, however few.) I just turned off the firewall feature and will do so each time I reinstall which is kind of a hassle but not too bad.

The question to my mind is... When next I reinstall, will I be able to only install SP2? And it will install all previous updates? This is the way they usually work right?

Anyway, I don't understand why all you people are having problems. Must be a hardware issue.

18. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I think the file that could not be copied is the driver for the hardrive, I had the same message.

19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Hmm. Maybe. I dont remember the brand of my hard drive on the pc at the moment. Maybe a maxtor...

I had no problem installing it on my laptop.

20. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I decided since there has been alot of talk about SP2 that I would load it up on one of my PC's to have a closer inspection.

Firstly from a user level:
    It could be suggested that the emphasis on the usage of the Firewall, Anti-virus and auto-update could be handy towards those that are not computer literate.
    Along with the additions to the browser like the "Pop-up blocker" and even a method to disable those clandestine ActiveX hijacks that lurk on some IE browsers.

(sometime a component is made just to aid with clandestinely tracking an individuals surfing habits and even capturing data like secure connections and passwords)
    So the ability to disable them (although not completely delete them) is going to be of use to those that haven't just moved to Firefox just yet.

It's been preposed that it has increased the speed on some peoples computer by loading SP2, my take on this is that the DLL's throughout windows had "hooks" (A Pseudoword for terming) that could be used by programmers that knew what they were doing, some "hooks" were written in the eventuum that they might be used, while others were purely for debugging. I suggest that Microsoft has probably gone through it's DLL's and removed all redundant "hooks" ones that are either not used by their software or third parties that have asked permission to use their DLLs.

(This is why it's important to programmers that if they write a major program in the case of Microsoft products to ask permission, otherwise a service pack comes out, cuts off the hooks they use and their program becomes disfunctional.)

The removal of these "hooks" means less is loaded into the memory and therefore means potentially more memory is available, however some DLL's that are patched are significantly larger than their predecessors.

IF YOU INTEND TO GET SP2:
    I would suggest those that you first make sure you have enough FREE space on your C drive, the download will be about 100mb and therefore you could suggest after that there will be decompression and even extra updates, so make sure you have at least 300mb's free for usage. (This might even mean using something like Partition magic to reorganise your drive sizes).

Make sure you have an emergency disk incase the system falls over.

I will not suggest that Bootlegged versions of XP will allow SP2, although I have reason to believe there are particular versions that can.

21. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

A question to those who have already installed SP2, did you also notice an increase in the time used for shutting down the PC? I mean, booting up seems faster, but shutting down takes about 2 minutes...

22. slotty Colostomy-its not my bag Registered Senior Member

the opposite for me, it takes an age to boot up since sp2, but shutdown is just the same!

23. peaston Registered Member

I've had the same problems with the Dr. Watson after installing the SP2. I figured out fairly quickly that I could bring my computer back to life by ending the the DrWtsn process in the Task Manager. But it kept happening when ever I tried to close a window or right-click and was making the computer unusable. So I made use of the free telephone support that MicroSoft is offering for the upgrade. I was told to stop the "Error Reporting Service" in Services. It worked for a while then started up again. Then I completely disabled "Error Reporting Service" and all was well. For a while....

Now it is happening again! I checked and Error Reporting Service is still disabled. Also, it only happens when my wife is logged in. I never have the computer freeze when I'm logged in. It is the same problem and I can bring the computer back to life by ending the Dr. Watson service. The only thing that has changed on my computer is that I recently upgraded my versions of Mozilla's Firefox browser and Thunderbird e-mail/newsgroup/RSS reader.

I'm glad I found this discussion. I will look at the articles linked to in earlier posts and let you know if I can get it to work again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.