Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Stryder, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I just thought I would create a thread on the XBOX 360 since apparently no one heres really mentioned much at all. I recently got one and admittedly there are afew things I'm unhappy with, although they are trivial things.

Simple things like it's impossible to actually custom Theme your XBOX (Other than implanting a background image), which pretty much means buying cards to get points to buy themes from the market place. There is suggetion that eventually there will be the ability to have a personal avatar as apposed to the ones that are initially available or purchased, however it would involve the purchase of a particular type of XBOX compatible webcam.

The games cost a lot too, this console is definitely something to avoid if you are on a tight budget otherwise you'll be restricted to what ever initial games you purchase.

Only other problem is some games companies choose to "Port" their title, rather than building them from scratch in the native code. For instance Oblivion was ported and made not to require drive space, the problem with this is it created alot of loading from the disc which pretty much spoils the overall gameplay. (However this is the Developers mistake, not Microsoft or XBOX related)

Other than those few petty qualms it does what a good console does and plays well in both singleplayer and multiplayer modes.

So if any of you out there have one of these boxes you can hunt for me online as Stryderunknown

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I do not know how relavent this is, but my friend bought an XBox 360. He sold it about a month later. He wanted it because he plays video games competitively and could not find any that were worth playing on the XBox.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i have one and at the start i did think that i had wasted my money but now the quality of the games that are being made have put my mind at ease, i dont really have too many complaints, mine runs at a fast speed, hasnt crashed yet (unlike my original xbox) and the avatars dont bother me

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

I am sticking with my PC, even if it does require an 360's worth in cash every year to keep it slick-smooth.

8. wootboot Registered Member

it does cost a lot to keep up with the latest 360 games, but if you buy a good game every 2 months or so you'll be satisfied - i highly recommend project gotham racing 3, perfect dark zero (rent it), full auto (rent it), ghost recon: advanced warfighter, fight night round 3, and all the great xbox games work really nice on the 360

9. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Only console worth having is the Nintendo Wii as it sticks to it's old-school consoleness. The Xbox and Playstation are just wannabe PCs so stick to the PC instead.

- N

10. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Yes, but could he make money playing those games? He only plays video games to make his living. as for me, I don't play console games.

11. VossistArts 3MTA3 Registered Senior Member

the only reason im currently interested in the 360 is for rockstar games ping pong. im kind of a table tennis fanatic (kind of ha!). so i was looking aroung on ebay for a good price for a basic unit and found a seller in the uk selling a couple ( theyre probably gone by now i guess) for around 130$ new in the box, with hd, controller, etc. hes sold 100s of various items over the last few years with about a 98% good reviews. still, i should probably be suspecious? of a price like that huh? I hear those units are sort of notorious for overheating and locking up. anyone heard this? otherwise the bottom prices im seeing are around 250$ for the same setup. kind of a lot just to play one game i like. i should probably do a rental deal first to be sure.

12. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Probably, yes. he may be genuine, but some sellers sell dozens of one penny items to boost their feedback, then they get you.

13. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

My friend bought one, but really just so he can play Halo 3 when it comes out, and the new TES game and the new Hitman game. The good thing about 360 is that it can play most original XBOX games, you just have to get the updates.
    I have an original XBOX, with live. The good thing about live is that you can play against people on 360 with compatible games, such as Halo 2, Battlefield 2, etc.

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

just give me a cd full of WADS and i'll be happy

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Admittedly the first batch of XBOX 360's had a powerpack overheating flaw which caused the powerpacks to burn out. The main thing when purchasing is to make sure you go somewhere reputable with a receipt just incase such reoccurances of the problem occur, although most newer batches won't be a problem.

It is noted that I've known of 2 or 3 people that have actually sold their XBOX 360 for peanuts because they needed cash fast, they didn't get rid of them because of faults but because of the lack of games they could purchase at the time.

Just note with any shops selling such products, they will sell them at RRP (recommended Retail Price) this however doesn't mean that you can't Barter with them. Sometimes you can get a reduction in the price, maybe even a game thrown into the deal, it's up to you to "Work" the assistants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.