x-box vs. playstation 2

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by ralph nader, Dec 16, 2002.

?

which one is better and why

1. x-box

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. playstation 2

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralph nader Banned Banned

which one is better and why?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

PS2 is better.

1. I dont have to pay extra money just to use the DVD player on it. (X-Box has to have a $30 attachment.

2. More games.

3. Bill Gates doesnt own this console and we all know that hes evil.

4. The online games on PS2 work with any kind of ISP and any kind of connection. X-Box has to have a cable modem and pay a monthly fee.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. UberDragon The Freak at the Computer Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

That is so true.

8. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I like them both, but I voted XB just because I own one and I'm very happy with it.

The Hard Drive is a huge bonus I think. Allowing you to upload your own music to the HD and then play that music in games is a nice feature, plus you don't need to carry around a memory card just to save a game.

Graphics are stunning. Nuff said.

Dolby 5.1 Digital Sound

The controllers, I love em. Some people think they're too big, personally I think they're the perfect size. And they're actually comfortable to hold.

As for Xbox Live, yeah it's a bit of a pain to have to pay $10 a month, but from what I've seen it's worth it. 16 player Halo is just impossible to beat =D

But meh, they're both great consoles. If I had gotten a PS2 instead of an XB I'd probably like it better. The only console I hate is the GC... I hate that little cube...

here's a site for the XB to even the playing field: http://atarilabs.com/meat/2002/0224_hateps2.shtml

Last edited: Dec 16, 2002
  9. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

PC,

Although...
    XBOX is the best of the two options

I was a playstation owner, and a prospective XBOX owner but I prefer the PC, since the only game I really enjoy playing is Civ 3. I looked into all consoles a while ago to decide which one was best and I decided Xbox. but you know how it is. Everyone hates bill gates. I'll give my money to anyone who gives me this best product. period.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Distortion melted down Registered Senior Member

Grand Theft Auto 3 : Vice City. Grand Theft Auto 3. Metal Gear Solid 2, Devil May Cry, Twisted Metal Black, Final Fantasy X, SSX Tricky, Virtua Fighter 4, Tekken Tag Tournament, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, NHL 2003, ect.

No 30$ DVD attachment, support from all the best developers, the best controller, backwards compatibility, ect.

End of story, really.

-Distortion

11. jps Valued Senior Member

yeah, GTA 3 is why I decided to buy a PS2(or any console for that matter)
    That game alone makes up for X boxs graphics superiority

12. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

My view on the matter

In my opinion, the Playstation 2 is the better console out of the two. But the PC is the better gaming platform around at the moment.
    Although the X-Box is pretty much a PC in drag, it was outdated (in PC terms) from day one. An 8gb Harddrive is nothing compared to modern PC ones, the GeForce 3 card was already kinda old and I believe the release of the GeForce 4 line was iminant.
    Ok, back to the topic.
    Shoot 'em ups are my kind of game. I hvae dabbled with games of this ilk on both consoles. Halo is so overrated its unbelievable. The control are just 'blah'. It's to stiff a responce and its pure luck that you hit anything. Same goes for the Shoot 'em ups on the PS2, but Timesplitters proved to be quite entertaining.
    Racing games are the only reason why I buy a console as its the only genre that the console betters the PC. The PS2 has the likes of GT2 (albeit extremely flawed), both Burnouts (the 2nd one is worth buying a PS2 alone).
    Also, the PS2 now has games compatible with a mouse and keyboard ie Red Faction 2
    Another reason to get either consoles is the fact that most of the games that are multi-format usually come out on the X-Box or PS2 first and the developers spend more time on the PC version ie GTA3 and the upcoming Splinter Cell

But again, if I had a choice of an X-Box or a PS2, I'd take the PS2 anyday

13. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Personally i would have to say PS2.
    Ive never liked the shape of the xbox controller either.
    The PS2 has more games but more importantly, better games.

14. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

oh and i agree with Thor.

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

does anyone have an opinion onwhich console is nicest if you are specifically looking at 2 player games. I'm not sure if I should get a ps or an xb. I have my pc for single player.

16. Halo Full Time Nerd-Bomber Registered Senior Member

I like both equally. I have both and there are obvious differences. As for multiplayability I think X-Box might win out since it has 4 controller ports built in whereas you have to buy an adapter for the PS2. There are great games on both systems. PS2 has GTA3, GT3, all the well known RPG's, and other off the wall titles. X-Box has the likes of Splinter Cell, Fuzion Frenzy, Halo, etc. I actually really like Halo. I wouldn't pay $10/month to play 16 player cuz I can actually get that many people to play. And I am also tempted to buy a Gamecube because I've seen Metroid Prime

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Very nice game. You have to check out some of the X-box boards. Those guys are freakin fanboys and think the X-box is the only system to own!

17. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

After much research and game playing. I am going to go with an xbox. Yes, I have traditionally hated microsoft...but what they have done for a first try in the console market is impressive.

My console will be used mainly for multiplayer games such as football or unreal. I have my pc for single player.

I played a number of games on both and xbox flat out beat the ps2. Play ncaa 2003 on both. Play knockout kings on both. There is no comparison on graphics.

The ps2 does have more games but the xbox has plenty for me. Also, i already have a dvd player.

So, it depends on what you are looking for, but for me xbox is the way to go.

18. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

That's a toughie

On one hand the X-Box has four controller ports, but on the other, the PS2 has more party and mulitplayer games.
    I' gonna go with PS2 on that one

But I use my PC for multiplayer games, but you need at least a Broadband connection to get lag free games *looks smug*

19. UberDragon The Freak at the Computer Registered Senior Member

The thing pissed me off most about the X-Box is that Microsoft is trying to storm the console industry against two companies with very strong fan bases. First off, Nintendo is like the Tony Soprano of console gaming. He started it all (the series) and he'll probably finish it. He has tendancy to keep to himself, but he'll kick ass if he has to. Sony is the Christopher (or Christofa) of gaming. He has had his troubles (uncertainty of whether he will suceed or not), but he has made it through and is on his way to the top. Maybe he will run the show someday, but not quite yet. Now we get to Microsoft. The Ralph of consoledom. He tried to make nicey-nice with Tony and Christopher, but in the end he ended up where he should have been. Hacked up in a bathtub and his head at the bottom of a quarry. That is how I feel about the X-Box.

20. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

You have to remember though uberdragon, Sony is an evil corporation just like MS. Not only do they sell horrible crap car audio equiptment, but they took Infantry away from me, and for that I will always hate their guts =P

I'm going with Elbaz though, sure I hate MS as much as the next guy, but this is a quality product. And as for GTA3... Splinter Cell and Halo more than make up for having to go without out, IMO anyway.

21. reformedtopunk got punk? Registered Senior Member

i'm not much of a gamer, and i've never played X-box. However GTA3 and GTA Vice City are both awesome, as are the previous games i always used to play on regular playstation (rpgs mostly), and the ability of the PS2 to play the old games as well as the new is just awesome to me.

So PS2 it is.

22. Vision_MDK Registered Member

Such dissemination while comparing apples to oranges is up surd. I've owned atarri, nintendo, turbographics, sega, ps1, nintendo 64, xbox and have been playing pc games for a decade. Until hardware manurfactuers stop pushing the envelope I doubt whole hardedly that any console in and of itself will be able to compete with a pc ie., my xbox runs component video to a 20" flat screen @ 1920x1080, my pc has 19" perfect flat @ 1024x768 the basic viewable areas are close enough for a fair comparison. Using Max Payne in this test the pc produced a much more vivid and crisper image, but that's not to say that the xbox's picture wasn't excellent either, the pc was just better. As far as play ability is concerned in this instance i'd have to go with the mouse keyboard combo (playing on a pc has its fair share incompatibility issues as well not being able to use a good controller when you would prefer one over joystick or keyboard mouse combo).

Nintendo appeals to a broad general audience arguing against it's entrenchment into gaming with classic titles such as mario and zelda is fruitless and yes it's perceived "G" rating works well.

PS2 an awesome line up of established games and probably game producers who also do not wish microsoft well. It seems to be doing well in the rated "R" arena.

XBOX made for prime time it delivers right out of the box. Though I did opt for the "monster component video cables" by the way both video and audio are superb. With at least a third more cpu, graphics processor, total memory and polygon performance along with a 4:1 ratio in simultaneous textures, 256 audio channels + 3D audio, dolby digital 5:1 surround sound, max res 1920x1080; to put it simply this BOX ROCKS!!!

I read someone complaining about having to purchase the DVD controller well it comes with a harddrive and an industry standard RJ-45 jack built in, can you say DSL ready. I can't say the same for Sony or Nintendo. My 12 and 17 yr old children do not seem to have a problem with the controller as for myself I enjoy a controller that forgo's the finger cramping.

With 16 of my own titles plus magazine demos I believe the XBOX offers plenty of gaming enjoyment add seamless intergration of XBOX Live into the mix and you have one extremely enjoyable console. I love my PC but the XBOX offers a good stable alternative and the kids like it too.

Now to the microsoft dissenters out there I have no great love of microsoft but let's face some facts here if you ever tried to implement TCP/IP with novell netware 3.1 you'd be thanking someone for NT. Microsoft has done what a lot of other companies have not been able to do 1) make an OS product that works reasonably well 2) offer good office tools 3) at a semi affordable price tag 4) make there own products obsolete, and if your that unhappy with microsoft there's always linux or unix.

As to its first Attempt at a game console microsoft has done an awesome job, to say otherwise is pure hateism of a microsoft product. I have no doubt if this where a Nintendo, Sony or Sega offering we'd be hearing cudo's all the way to never never land. They did it right this time give em a break.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2002
  23. Sir Cecil Registered Senior Member

I Like My Gamecube. Also, anything made by microsoft is crap, look at their OS.

Thats my 2 cents

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.