Wuthering Heights

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Tristan, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

If anyone has read this, done a literary analysis on it, or "journals" in which you just discuss certain pages, let me know. I need some pointers.

Thanks
    T

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Will be forever gratefulll. Truely!!!!! PLEASE!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NileQueen Registered Senior Member

Haven't you read it?

It is a dark tale of thwarted love and undying passions.

Heathcliff is the an adopted and somewhat wild child...he and Catherine fall in love, but Catherine marries Edgar Linton.

Tragically, Catherine dies, and Heathcliff lives on, tormented and bitter. A lot of characters die off.

I suppose poetic justice is served when Catherine's daughter(Heathcliff is harsh to her), also named Catherine falls in love with Heathcliff's son (Heathcliff is harsh to him), Hareton.

http://www.classicnote.com/ClassicNotes/Titles/wutheringheights/shortsumm.html

I prefer Pride & Prejudice. I like happy endings.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xev Registered Senior Member

What, there is someone Heathcliff is not harsh to?

8. Zero Banned Banned

Um. Catherine, maybe. She seems to be the only one he's soft to.

9. Xev Registered Senior Member

He treats her like shit too. She's just the only one tough enough to return his abuse.

What a great couple.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. LoserIncorporated Registered Member

Depends on what you need

Are you looking for comparisions to the calm and the storm?
    Character analysis?
    There are hundreds of things you can discuss about this novel in depth on...

Let me know something specific and I'd be glad to help.

11. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

Isn't it all but one?

its been a couple years.. i saw part of it on HBO a few weeks ago.. but it was too far in to fill in the other person watching tv with me, so it didn't see much.

P.S. there is supposed to be a modernized version of this into ( i think) a tv show... nt sure when. but i saw an ad for it in a mag a couple weeks back.

12. Dyaus Registered Senior Member

Everything depends on the context. It is very easy to see Cathy as good and Heathcliff as evil. Remember that he was an orphan, imposed upon a household that was fairly hostile to him. Cathy's brother barely accepted him and Cathy involved him in a sweet-sour relationship from which it is difficult to dissociate love and hate, attraction and repulsion.
    Incidentally, I read both Wuthering Heights and Pride and Prejudice within the same week, but both of them are equally wonderful, though very distinct. The 'haunting' of Heathcliff is one very strong psychological moment that I have rarely encountered since.

As for pointers, pay particular attention to the characterisation. Heathcliff is not a flat character; he is indeed the central character and he is more vivid than the narrator. I would not say that he is 3-dimensional, but he is a very complex character and Bronte is able to depict that complexity.
    All the characters are well depicted; pay attention to the way they change in the face of the various events of the plot.

The position of the narrator: what is his stand, his position vis-a-vis the story and the characters? What is the effect of having the story not told straight to us from an omniscient narrator but told through the perspective of another character within the story?

Story-telling: how far can we trust the narrator(s)? Differences between the story and 'reality' - what the narrator (i forget his name) hears and what he personally experiences.
    Also stories within stories. You are reading a story about someone (the narrator ) who is telling you the story of part of his life as well as the story someone else tells him about other people(still with me?)

The tiny world created by the author. Compare Bronte's world with that of Austen (many issues there; both women writers, abt the same period, the particular themes they deal with...Austen, for instance, has been criticised for being a domestic writer, an author who writes abt a limited world...also the conventions governing writing by women: what were they supposed to write about. I remember reading somewhere that Wuthering Heights was hugely criticised in certain quarters for not being "feminine" enough...

Well, so many things to look at, and there are more...

Good luck