WTF Is Anonymous?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kx000, Aug 10, 2011.

1. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Check out this political group Anonymous. Just google them or youtube them. Im trying to make sense of it all. WTF is anonymous?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

Super hackers. Don't fuck with them.

~String

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

My son just showed me a video where someone claiming to be Anonymous stated they were going to crash Facebook on Nov. 5.

Hoax?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

8. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Maybe...anybody can claim anything on behalf of the collective...and it can mean nothing.
    Anonymous is a loosely organized underground of hackers who may or may not decide to do anything.
    In Dungeons and Dragons terms, think of them as chaotic good...mostly. Sometimes trending to chaotic neutral, remember that a significant subset of them are likely more than a bit sociopathic.

Basically, you can tell what Anonymous does when Anonymous does it...and, um, yeah, they can crash your stuff. A lot of stuff. There's a lot of them, and they are good at what they do, which is crash your stuff, or get into it.
    Seriously, do not tick them off.

Rumors are that they have the worm that brought down the Iranian plutonium production program...

Apparently, they hacked some Sheriffs...who have apparently been storing stuff they should not in ways they should not...

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Anonymous-LulzSec-Dump-Data-from-70-Sheriffs-Offices-547474/

For Anonymous's take on Anonymous, here is the blog:
    http://anonops.blogspot.com/

I was tooling around Encyclopedia Dramatica one time...hit a link...and was taken to a site that seemed to be an organizing node for Anonymous, in that people were swapping how-to hack tools and tips, and spouting weird political ideas. I did not figure it was healthy environs for such as me to hang out.

The same reason I have not gone to 4chan or Bchan...I feel like I ought to wrap my computer in latex or something...

Looks like the Facebook thing is probably a rumor only. Besides that, Anonymous never plans stuff that far in advance. That's too long, time for the target to harden.
    They're like the Spanish Inquisition, you never expect them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If they take down Facebook...I boycott Facebook due to the way they operate. I will be enjoying the lulz.

Edited to add: ARRGH! my wife just yelled at me for going to that blog without running TOR.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011