Wow

Discussion in 'World Events' started by sargentlard, May 21, 2004.

1. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Interesting to hear

A soldier telling his tale on how it was in Iraq.

"its not near as bad as people think it is over there"

He says he was more scared of Iraq by watching American reporting than he was over there.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Undecided Banned Banned

Wow is the word I would use indeed, wow you'd think that he was god, because otherwise how could he know all the 135,000 soldiers feelings? That man obviously has a different perspective, where was he based? The Kurdish north? Really now it is awfully subjective, and there are more indications of low morale then a high one. So I wouldn't put to much tea in this cup, it's leaky.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Wow..you'd think you'd have little more reading skills. I did not give me opinion on this yet so calm down.

Transcript of this to quote him

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Undecided Banned Banned

Wow..you'd think you'd have little more reading skills. I did not give me opinion on this yet so calm down.

Wow, I suggest you read your own reply, and take your own advice there Mr. Literate, so why don't you calm down? He is talking to Rush, hmmm...do I hear a note of subjectivism beyond belief here? I mean do you expect bitter soldiers to call in to “Pill Popping Rush”? This thread is truly useless it literally proves that one man in Iraq thinks its ok. I mean let's try to be a bit more intellectually advanced shall we?

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Wow, ok that has nothing to do with the fact that I never gave an opinion on anything but relax Undecided. Ignoring enlightened 18 year olds is easy when they make no sense and insult only for the sake of insulting. Apparently Undecided has a problem when people share information and do not even give an opinion on it......moving on

What do you guys think?

9. Undecided Banned Banned

I never gave an opinion on anything but relax Undecided.

You don't have to overtly say it, your bias is notable:

He says he was more scared of Iraq by watching American reporting than he was over there.

Why bring that up? Obviously you are trying to prove a point aren't you? I mean you just don’t post for the sake of posting now do we?

Ignoring enlightened 18 year olds is easy when they make no sense and insult only for the sake of insulting.

Are you the 18 year old? What is so very enlightening about this individual compared to other members of the US military? I didn't insult anyone here, t'was you, re-read the thread. I merely suggested that this man is stating a subjective point of view, not a fact.

Apparently Undecided has a problem when people share information and do not even give an opinion on it......moving on

Either you are being an "asshat", or did not notice your inherent bias.

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

No, Undecided you saying I thought he was a god was an assumption on your part. Ofcourse his opinion is subjective, thats what opinions are suppose to be.

This insulting back and forth is pointless. I just gave a link and thought it was interesting. Either we stop this or further prove why WE&P is a pissing areana.

11. Undecided Banned Banned

No, Undecided you saying I thought he was a god was an assumption on your part. Ofcourse his opinion is subjective, thats what opinions are suppose to be.

I didn't say you think he is a god, what I was mentioning is that this man has an opinion, but one that I cannot take too seriously. One that doesn’t necessarily represent anyone else’s but his own. Not because it's not in tune with the reality on the ground, but because it's one man. If it were a general, then hey we have something to take about. But all indications show Iraq as a mess of biblical proportions. So he can have his opinion, and I applaud him for looking at the other side of Iraq, but we can't ignore the more ominous side of the story. A state on the verge of social and political collapse. He simply cannot have the grasp on the situation that others can. The military is inherently anti-intellectual, and most would agree with that. The normal, run of the mill soldier is not taught to think, he’s taught to follow orders. Surely in the upper echelons of the military you have intellectuals, but I wouldn’t put too much in the average American soldier. But his opinion is rightfully his own.

12. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

One that I found interesting.

To be fair, neither did he. His problem lies with the over sensational story telling of the Media.

Elaborate on this.

I have found that this war has so many diffrent facets and ugly sides for the general populace to share the same opinions...besides the "lets give them democracy and plant flowers in the name of Allah and all will be peachy keen."

13. Undecided Banned Banned

To be fair, neither did he. His problem lies with the over sensational story telling of the Media.

That's a matter of opinion, I am wiling to venture the media has been too lax. Especially leading up to the war, no questions were asked at all. So really they complain when it suits them.

Elaborate on this.

Because he is in one spot in Iraq, he doesn't have the tactical overview that others have. He can patrol a couple of streets in Baghdad, and that is supposed to indicate that everything is ok? Maybe on those streets, but not a nation of 26 million people. You have a different mentality when you’re on the battle field. You don’t have the time to think of Iraq in a holistic measure while trying to survive the next patrol. Ideology kills all thought, and he looks like an ideologue.

Last edited: May 21, 2004