Would you use torture ?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Paraclete, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Roman Banned Banned

Society decides what's good for people. Government is what enforces it. People say "stealing is bad, so is butt sex." So the government punishes infractions. But ultimately, what government decides upon comes from what people believe.

If everyone in the US thought drugs or prostitution or butt sex was alright, the laws prohibiting them would disappear.

You know, people say torture is wrong, but the government is trying to say it's right. Guess who is winning?

About 0.72 per 100,000 individuals, if only 20% of murders get solved. Kind of small, Baron.

No, it's what I'd call "bad people".

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Athena Athena Registered Senior Member

" Originally Posted by Baron_Max
    Is all of that what you call "good government"? "
    ..excluding those commited for war purposes and terrorist issues and what not- why is it the government that gets blamed of all the muders?
    the people need to step up and take responsibility.

But when you look at this situiation, you either take a chance on one life or thousands. its obvious what the right choice is. and if he 'doesnt give two shits or a piss' if we torture him, then i guess it doesnt matter if I make myself goddamn sure of his involvement in any terrorist actions.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Light Registered Senior Member

It would depend entirely on the subject. For example, you would have to if it were MetaKron or Duendy because that's the only way you could any truth out of them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Otherwise, no. For one thing, they would tell you anything - true or not - to get you to stop. Anything you wanted to hear.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

"government by, for, and of the people."
    Thus, bad people, bad government.

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

You don't understand interrogation methods and techniques, do you? If you did, you'd not make that statement so easily and with such certainty.

Baron Max

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, so true. But the idealists of the world would have you think that those same people, forming a government, would create a benevolent body! I.e., if 50% of "the people" are "bad people", then a government formed by "the people" would probably be about 50% bad, wouldn't it?!

So therefore, .........government should be formed by ONLY "good" people. Now ....where do you suppose we can find all those "good" people? And more importantly, how can we prevent all those "bad" people from running for elected office and from voting?

Baron Max

10. Light Registered Senior Member

Actually, Baron, it would surprise you.

I was a psychology professor, remember? And because of some study I had done along those lines (it had intrigued me ever since Korea), I was "loaned" from college to one of those "three-letter" agencies for the specific purpose of helping establish some of the techniques still in use today. Yes, some involved drugs but NONE involved torture. That was something the military and their contractors did pretty much on their own.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Only if I'm terribly bored.

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

If torture never produces any valid or useful information, why has it been used for all the gazillion years of human existence?

Baron Max

13. Light Registered Senior Member

Oh yes, it can provide useful information. But just like anything else of that sort, it has to be confirmed by external sources.

It's just usually frowned on in this "age of enlightenment" much like legal executions by dismemberment would be.

14. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

And much like death sentence is in EU.

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Because torturers aren't very bright people.

16. ArtofWar Registered Senior Member

Torture is also a method of deterrence, keeping those with an alternate agenda at bay. Psychological warfare is a bitch