Would women have short hair if it was socially acceptable?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by grazzhoppa, Nov 21, 2003.

?

Your opinion: Would a majority of women have short hair if it were socially accepted?

1. No

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Yes

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  1. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

It is something similar and equally ugly.....few get them but why? Does no one tell them it is very, very, very unflattering on them?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. candy Valued Senior Member

I do not know about the majority but I would rather have long hair. I tried short once. I did not like it and have kept mine waist length ever since.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

That is quite long considering such long hair is rare to see these days. Must be hell to manage.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. candy Valued Senior Member

It is not really all that much effort. I have had it long for most of my life so I am use to it. I do braid it to work in the garden and around the house. I put it up in a roll for day wear and a twist for nights out.

9. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

hair is very closely related to sexuality and self image
    so a man with long hair is going against societies norms and is there by labeled rebeliouse
    women like to dream of rebeliouse men for sexual encounters regardless of the fact that they do not realy understand what that translates to in this current society

personaly i would be most unlikely to date a women with realy short hair as it is as much a statement as a man wearing a dress
    how many women would go up to a man wearing a dress and ask him out for a romantic date?

men have to do the work currently
    so there are certain signs required to indecate to the primates what is sexualy in the game and what is not
    long well conditioned hair is a sign of good, high quality grooming

the arguement can be transfered to the shaving or not shaving concept for women and men also

so what is the ideal? for a man
    look at the strippers!
    excellenyt muscle definition with a good amount of muscle and long hair
    what is the ideal for a women almost the same,
    # except the obviouse submissive signs of personality for all those twisted power freak men that are soo easily frightened by a friendly women with an opinion and active interaction with strangers

10. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

i haven't seen any evidence of a specific haircut for women. as in clothes, it's pretty much anything goes. the question should be rephrased to ask why not long hair for men, except that many do have long hair. i know a boy who has the same med-long cut i do. i hadn't thought of it as anything but a ladies' cut until i saw him wearing it and it looks fine on him too. but yeah, i don't see hair rules for women.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Because that's an archetype, an image from our collective unconscious. Remember Samson in the Old Testament. His long hair was the key to his strength. (I can tell you don't read them. The long hair is often on the cover illustration, not in the text.

)

Sexual dimorphism is not very prominent in our species. Compared to the animals you see in nature documentaries, male and female humans are nearly identical if they're dressed to cover their modesty. (Which is admittedly not always the case these days.)

The greatest visible difference is that males have more hair. Having facial hair is a sign of masculinity.

Somehow that's gotten twisted up in contemporary culture. I think that Hitler's mustache is what kindled the extremely recent trend toward a clean-shaven look. The unkempt and often unwashed beards of the hippies just accentuated society's notion that nice men shave. This isn't the first time this has happened. Fashions come and go and they can override the collective unconscious (and sometimes even common sense) for short periods.

But if you review portraiture throughout human history, it's clear that mustaches and beards were the norm far more often than not.

But today's American women have to deal with a culture in which the most desirable men are not reliably identified by their beautiful facial hair. The illustrators of romance novels know this. So they go back to the collective unconscious and the example of Samson. Men have more hair than women, that is an archetype. If it's temporarily taboo for men to have that extra hair on their faces, then let them grow it out of their scalps.

Fabio is a perfect example. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Fabio phenomenon, he was the model for many of those romance novel covers for many years. He has gorgeous blonde hair beyond shoulder length. I'm a (straight) man and even I have to admit his hair is to die for! He's got to be one of the ten best looking guys on this planet, and his hair has a lot to do with it.

Women adore him. They stand in line for hours for a chance to be photographed with him. Sure, he's a complete package: charming, sensible, humble, filthy rich. The kind of guy you pray your sister or daughter will marry. But it's the hair that really does it, not any of that other stuff.

Abundant hair on men is sexy. Women are programmed to respond to it, and so are we. Notice the huge chunk of the GDP devoted to baldness remedies?

If fashion temporarily discourages you guys (hey, I'm still a hippie

) from wearing it on your face, you just let it hang out of your head. Ladies love it. That's the way the world is supposed to be.

So short hair on women? Nothing wrong with that, in fact it's great. It makes it a lot easier for us to establish sexual dimorphism without having to get hair extensions!

12. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

the fasion is the key to the molding of most peoples
    looks and ways of doing things in relation to personal hygene

the most fashionable thing for women is to have most if not all hair removed except for the head ..
    and so according to the normal run of sociatal things the hair length will become crucial to be as long as possible with all other body hair removed

this will be the main pre cursor for men to remove all hair completely as they will not be bound the the huge social stigma of no hair on their head

which will then follow to have long hair in fashion with no other body hair

and on it goes untill genetic engineering has identified the way to stop hair growth in specific areas and then it will be normal to have only hair on your head...

you could call it natural evolution

13. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I think a trucker haircut is just a woman with a mullet, a cigarette behind her ear, a wad of chewing tobacco in her mouth, wearing a flannel shirt.

As for short hair versus long hair; I don't really have a preference either way. Whether or not it looks good depends on the woman. Halle Berry and Meg Ryan look much better with short hair, where Salma Hayek probably wouldn't. Would Monica Bellucci and Jennifer Aniston still be hot if they shaved their heads? Probably not.