Would women have short hair if it was socially acceptable?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by grazzhoppa, Nov 21, 2003.

?

Your opinion: Would a majority of women have short hair if it were socially accepted?

1. No

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Yes

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  1. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

Why do women traditionally wear long hair, and men short hair? Today, long hair is a pain in the ass to comb, wash, and do general things with.

Is the only reason why women still have long hair because hair is such a big part of appearences, and appearances are fused so closely to sexuality, that women won't have hair that is easier/cheaper to maintain because it's not socially acceptable?

Does anyone know of any cultures where women have short hair and men have the long hair?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

In most African tribes i have noticed women to have very short or no hair but the men are the same too. More and more women keep short hair these days, atleast in modernized parts of the city (NYC, NY for example) but even those women are a rarity.

My guess is that is is associated with gender roles in a society. A women is expected to have long hair and men are expected to have nice short hair, though it isn't as penal and looked down upon to go against that norm unlike other things.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Why is it in women’s romance novels (not as if I have read any) the man always have long hair?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Thank Fabio for that. Those are aimed at bored housewives....i guess they like the allure of a European man.

8. Yes Registered Senior Member

I see no evidence for that it should not be acceptable that women have short hair and men long hair. Have you been to Europe lately?

9. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Hair trend's pretty odd, isn't it? I remember reading a book saying that sometime near or in middle age it was even <i>compulsory</i> that men have long hair, sometimes with an extra condition that if a man had his hair cut, he would lose some citizenship rights or even more severe punishment......

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I think that a woman should be able to wear her hair any way she chooses. I like short hair on a woman but long hair, when it looks right, isn't bad either.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2003
  11. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Um, having short hair is socially accepted. What planet are you on?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

We wear long hair because it makes us look pretty and boys like it; no other reason, really.
    I adore boys with long hair. Short hair is sexy too..... Aw, you got me thinking!

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I don't care how long the hair is. As for my hair it is neither long or short... its an Afro

13. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

I meant buzz cuts, or short hair like men wear today...only for women.

I haven't seen many women with "short hair"....like Sinead O'connor's hair back in the day (the girl that ripped a picture of the pope live on TV). You guys might be thinking of short hair as in only 4 inches long that comes just below the ears. Yea, that's short compared to shoulder length hair, but it's still a pain in the ass to maintain.

Wouldn't short hair (0-2 inches or 0-5 cm) be easier to live with than "longer hair?" I have seen women with short hair, but because a handful do it doesn't mean it's socially accepted. Maybe in Europe it's different, like you guys said.

But back to sargentlard's thoughts about gender roles. Would women, in general, switch to easier to maintain (and cheaper!) short hair, or does there need to be a strong difference between a woman and man's appearance?

14. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

Short hair is socially acceptable. Most women in THIS culture aspire to get longer hair simply because of images....

Either way, I prefer women with short hair. AKA Halle Berry ****drool******

****drool******
    ****drool******
    ****drool******'****drool******
    v****drool******
    ****drool**********drool**********drool**********drool**********drool******

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I don't see what wrong with short hair on women and long hair on men? I'm totally ok with it and I've seen short haired girls that are still very attractive (and when I mean short I mean below 4 in)

thefountainhed,
    you mean liek this?

16. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Ye, if you want to see women with short hair, I guess you have to come to NYC. Women with a 1mm hair length are here too.

People, migrate to NYC!

17. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Well in certain cases in NYC women having short hair indicates their preference of gender.

This raises another curious albeit stupid question.

Why do homosexual women get those horrendously ugly mullet cuts or those trucker haircuts?...not all of them but certain lesbiens seem to prefer those hairstyles.

18. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

Yo Fetus! You gotta teach me how to make those cmilies man.

NYC just for women with short hair? Maybe if you were a hot woman, I'd consider.

19. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

He gets them from another site. Just quote his post to see from where. I doubt he animates his own.

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I animate my own avatars though

21. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Are you a hot man? With long dark hair done pirate-style?

22. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

They do. A good number of the women I know wear hair as short as mine. (~1 inch)

23. river-wind Valued Senior Member

its so I don't accidentally hit on a man while at a bar. the whole thing is to make my life and dating habits easier.

the world revolves around me, and I'm getting a bad case of motion sickeness.