Would McCain bomb Iran?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by S.A.M., Mar 19, 2008.

1. countezero Registered Senior Member

Gee, that's an intelligent statement...

There have been covert operations against Iran for years. Clinton, according to Richard Clarke, authorized something, which Clarke doesn't explain, that apparently hit the Iranians pretty hard. This was in the wake of Kohabar Towers. Sanctions have also been in effect for years, with more likely on the way.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well I take comfort that anyone of the 3 presidential candidates are not likely to do something a stupid as Iraq again.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The people who have been talking about Obama's inner being based on his preacher's rants, would have to conclude that McCain would bomb Iran without direct cause if it advanced the cause of Christian ascendency over Islam.

McCain does have famously poor judgment, and is quick to anger.

The American Left has never been beloved of McCain. The media, maybe - although they cooperated with W's slandering of him in 2000.

That isn't really the question. The question is whether or not he would create or exaggerate circumstances allowing him to bomb Iran.
    And has demonstrated lousy political judgment in those arenas.

The man just confused al Qaeda and the Mahdi Army multiple times, in the sporlight, on the borders of Iraq, while on a photo op campaign trip for the purpose of demonstrating his superior competence in foreign affairs and war situations. That kind of ludicrous gaffe has become typical of Republican Presidents, but it's getting old.

Five years ago he was Chalabi's big US supporter in Iraq, having spent years helping him organize a "government in exile" that could be installed in Iraq post invasion.

In between he backed essentially everything W&Co did except torture prisoners - which is the one area of US foreign policy he actually does know something about. That's because he didn't have to read or study or think to find out about it.

As a politician, he's a fuckup with no sense of history or situation. He'd bomb Iran - why not ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

Mccain is a total moron. Quite why the Ayatollahs of Iran would train Salafi Sunnis to bomb Shiites in Iraq he does not explain. A complete and utter moron. Expect him to be the next President of the US.

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

9. draqon Banned Banned

10. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Well, Bush paid back the Iraqis, will McCain pay back the Vietnamese?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

- N

11. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Vietnam II, I can see the posters now. Bomb them Again..

Invading Iran would be the end of America in the middle east. Global terrorism will rise again.

Please-Don't be stupid. (on either side).

12. Arsalan Registered Senior Member

Surely no American president can be stupid enough to actually invade Iran?

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

fixed

14. kmguru Staff Member

There could be 15 different scenarios to invade Iran with better created reasons. Just one will do. Imagine:

President McCain has a short temper even in his old age. So, what if, in a commader-in-chief staff meeting he gets mad and says "General, go bomb Iran and comeback only after you executed my order". The General could only say...Aye aye sir...you are the CiC.....

Besides, it is time to test our military against a real military to make them ready for China - in case China eats Taiwan.

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

China has nukes, a war with them could go nuclear. It would be better to have are military ready and not busy in Iraq/n so they could defend Taiwan.

16. kmguru Staff Member

That is the whole point...wake up EF...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Too late. The amount of money the US would have to borrow from the Chinese to mount an effective military defense of Taiwan in conventional war is probably not available, even supposing the US military were available and in shape.

18. kmguru Staff Member

That is true...but even then, if you are in charge of the most expensive military, would you make sure the unit is ready if the boss asks? In December of 2012, China will annex Taiwan...that is my prediction. So, what are we going to do?

19. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

1.Threaten them with economical sanctions, as they need us to buy their goods. The USA should already be trying re-establish local economies because inport/outsorce economies will be in shock over peak oil pricing on transport, tough love to cut off your biggest importer, but the USA would potentially be better off down the road.
    2. Station our navy to protect Taiwan, China would not dare kill Americans and start a war that could go nuclear.
    3. Get the Japanese help if not do most of the work, they have been itching to be proactive military, let then have a try at it.

20. kmguru Staff Member

While we take those steps, the annex will be complete. If I were the Chinese, I will move 200,000 troops and sign a treaty like I did with Hong Kong and have the Taiwan government support it (with a knife behind of course). I will move the troops during Christmas holidays when USA is getting ready for the new president....

The Japanese would not do anything...they see China as their best customer. I think this year, their export to China is more than to USA.

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I did not say my actions would not be done preemptavily, as soon as we get out of iraq move navy force to taiwan. How can you get them to sign a treaty?

Ooooooh Really?

22. kmguru Staff Member

Yes really....

23. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

It is not like those 3 are unwilling to do so, it is that the US armed forces CAN'T.

Invading, no, bombing,YES....