Worst E-mail Provider

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by darksidZz, Feb 12, 2007.

?

The worst is!

Poll closed Mar 14, 2007.
  1. AOL

50.0%
  2. Yahoo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Comcast

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mail.com

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other; Comment

50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I get more spam, more insane e-mails just using AOL than I have my entire life. Even with the filters enabled they still come through, it's terrible.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

Sdiorenzio is really cheesy internet provider.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Personally I wouldn't use AOL, too much junk loaded on your computer and some rather questionable practices. (Once upon a time I found email from the UK version sending the mail via the US servers, this to the laymans isn't too concerning however during 1999 many laws were passed over in the US and the UK about dealing with Encrypted data which actually meant that some data being sent could be seen as being illegal in the US. Also it being placed through US servers meant that mail could be read by Departments within the US government [if they so choosed] which is a Privacy issue. I could not suggest if this practice still remains.)

As for the provision of email, well you can pretty much determine that it's not too difficult to setup an email serve although there are steps being drawn up to making them "authenticate" with some accepted group due to the amount of spam over the years. The provision is really down to the constraints of the server software and how the systems administrators have configured it to deal with Blacklisting, Whitelists and XBL entries within mail headers (Not to forget the Reverse IP lookup for authentication purposes, which notibly has in the past no been configured to block some smtp messages from being accepted due to being Open Relay).

Certain companies (i.e. AOL and Microsoft) Will always be a target due to their size, infrastructure and crumby support. (X number of phone calls to Technical Support and the average computer user is usually riled enough to hypothetically want to go on a bombing campaign.)

Since they are targetted, it usually means that there are people out there that write scripts to email to a "Bruteforce" maillist, where every conceivable username is eventually created. These scripts then listen to whether the email user its addressed to is accepted or not (if it gets passed the HELO stage) where the email address is usually logged and SOLD to a bunch of want to be spammers.

Personally I just have a domain (or ten) for my Emails, I can then adjust whether I want the company that provides my webspace to deal with the email or run my own server by forwarding the DNS to my IP, Of course doing that would mean every spammers "Direct" connection would be logged, although indirect remails through Open Relays is a bit harder to track without the logs of the offending relay server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.