worms are really superior

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by spuriousmonkey, May 2, 2003.

1. spookz Banned Banned

2. genitalia: besides moving them inside we also need to place both the male and the female reproductive organs in one body. The worms are hermaphrodite after all.

heaven! my very own vagina! i will pet it, stroke it, feed it. i will love it like a penis!

make it happen, spurious! i cannot sleep at night now

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

spooks, you frighten me.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wrmgrl Registered Senior Member

C. elegans

As may be inferred from my user name, I am a big fan of worms. Specifically the species that survived the shuttle disaster, as they are the subject of my dissertation. I fear worms have been given a bad rap. Worms are superior beings, insofar as they are imensly useful for science and incredibly resilient.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wrmgrl Registered Senior Member

wrms are not ugly

I would have to argue that C. elegans worms are not ugly, in fact they are transparently little sinusoidal creatures, that are actually really cool if you know how to look at them. Additionally, not all C. elegans are hermaphrodites, only about 99% of the normally produced population. The other 1% are by definition male, which allows selective breading and crossing in C. elegans.

8. Canute Registered Senior Member

"Worms are superior beings, insofar as they are immensly useful for science".

I hope that was just irony.

9. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

You could argue that humans are nothing but mobile habitats for our stomach bacteria. They are the true masters of the earth though we dont know it. Anything we do benifits them in one way or another.

THEY are the really superior ones.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I think we all agree that every link in nature is equally important.

11. spookz Banned Banned

why? some links could be useless. maybe some are evolutionary dead ends?
    important to themselves? to others? to "nature"? does everything have to be interconected? could there be lifeforms that have a minimal impact on others?
    live in complete isolation?

12. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Spooks;
    "why does everything have to be interconnected?"
    I don't understand this question

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Does it bother you that everything is interconnected? I don't think its that bad, kind of neat even, whats the problem?

If you are questioning the fact everything is interconnected than you are opening up quite the can of WORMS which is connected to the can of magpies and so on.

Sargentlard;
    "Everything about them makes me want to kill them... god damn they are ugly"
    They aren't asking you to have sex with them.
    Why must some people be physically attracted to things to not hurt them, its bizarre, sargentlard might have been joking but people really feel like that. Everyone I know wants hyenas to die because they look funny.
    These animals never would have imagined some predatory primate would show up that hunts them down for finding them sexually unnapealing.
    I'm all for making fun of ugly people, but ugly animals?
    Thats just sad

13. spookz Banned Banned

doc you are such a romantic

14. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

No shit they aren't doc

...did it have to come down to sexual appeal...i just can't stand the way they look...and i don't want to kill them...i respect the buggers but that doesn't help the fact that they are goddamn ugly...infact that could be a defnse mechanism for them against me even though they have nothing to fear from me but they don't know that do they!!!

I wasn't at all hinting at anything sexually appealing just asthetically appealing and that they are not. People might want to kill them because they look ugly but that just makes them ignorant fools.... i am only speaking on a shallow level.

15. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Sorry sarge, I wasn't attacking you I could tell you were joking, but it just made me think of the people who really feel like that, and they are out there. Pretty strange way to think huh?

Spooks, I might have a bicycle built for 2, but I can assure you, it is purely for practical reasons

16. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Dear me... someday some creature out there might evolve sex appeal as a defense against predators.... eeeewwwww

17. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Its scientific name will be Buggsus Bunnyus

18. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Monicus Lowinskius is actually a variety of paracitic nematode that (poorly) mimics the form of a female human. Then it injects its eggs into a male while draining him of his bodily fluids.

This has the side effect of causing terrible bloating.

19. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I wasn't joking about them being ugly to me

as for people who think like that well they are dumbasses who well should be shot for that stupidity. I have heard stories of where certain animals were killed just because they were ugly to the beholder....morons i say....i don't want to kill worms...i just don't want to look at them...is that so bad

..oh the humanity

20. rayzinnz Registered Senior Member

Don't worms eat poo? That'd be strange. So'd being a heamephidite. Why don't we just be parasites to a worm, and use one for an escape pod should our spaceship crash on a planet.

21. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

rayzinnz,

I like your thinking!

22. thinker Registered Senior Member

nothing like man altering evolution.