world of warcraft: Graphics card not found or Supported

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by lucifers angel, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

Someone please help me, i play world of warcraft a fair bit, for about 3 hours a day!

and all of a sudden, when i load the game it says "graphics card, not found or not supported" it was working fine on sunday! so why all of a sudden cant i load the game??

i have tried re loading the game, and even re loading the information for my graphics card!

(and please dont say world of warcraft is shit)

any ideas?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

did you change the video settings?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

actually maybe your video card needs new driver update

Go to Start
    Run
    In the box there type in dxdiag.
    Go to the Display Tab
    Under the Device we need "Name", "Manufacturer" and "Chiptype"
    Under Drivers we need "Version"
    Under DDI we need version

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

do you have ATI or NVIDIA? or none of the mentioned?

8. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

no i didnt change the video settings, why shouldve i?

9. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

NVIDIA

10. draqon Banned Banned

Try getting new drivers for your NVIDIA...and choose the latest for your card:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html
    First see here.
    Then decide on which driver you want,

Decide where to download the file. It really doesn't matter where. You can use "My Documents" if you want.

When you download it, choose "save" not "run".

Navigate it to the folder you chose.

Go to add and remove programs in Control Panel and search for "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select remove.

Your graphics will look a little wonky for a bit don't worry

Restart your 'puter

Then install the new drivers from the folder you put them in.
    Reset your video options to your preference in by right clicking your Desktop, choosing Properties, and selecting Settings.

From nVidia:

Driver files should always be uninstalled before updating to newer drivers or when removing an older NVIDIA card and replacing it with a newer card. To uninstall your current NVIDIA Display Drivers from your system, follow these steps:

1) Go into your Control Panel
    2) Double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon
    3) Select the NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers from the list of programs.
    4) Click Change/Remove or Add/Remove button.
    5) Confirm with Windows that you wish to continue with the uninstall

Note: A prompt appears asking whether you want to delete all of the saved
    nView profiles.
    If you click Yes, all of the nView software and all of your saved
    profiles will be deleted.
    If you click No, the nView software is removed, but the profile files
    are saved in the Windows\nView directory on your hard disk. If you take advantage of the nView profiles, you may wish to keep your custom nView profiles.

Once the driver files have uninstalled, Windows will request that you restart your computer to complete the uninstallation.

"Download Accelerator" utilities should be disabled when downloading any drivers.

Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly. "

11. draqon Banned Banned

^^^ obviously above is not my own, but just follow the directions it might help you...otherwise,

either:

a) you need to get the latest direct X software...9 or somethin...

or

b) get a new 3D card...supported by WOW

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I have a few ideas, not so much about how to fix currently but 'why' it happened.

Were there any updates over the weekend? (I had a quick look and the newest patch wasn't dated but it doesn't reference any major graphics changes in the patch notes)

[This is what I would try first, however you might want to follow the support route]
    What I would suggest is finding the config.wtf file and making a backup before "Deleting it". Make sure it doesn't exist when you do a reinstall and it should generate a new configuration file during installation, it's possible that an entry was added that conflicts with your Graphics card.

[support route]
    Most games technical support people would asked to see a copy of DXDIAG.txt . You can create this file by typing DXDIAG in your RUN or SEARCH(Vista) box and telling the dialogue to save to a file.

This just generates a file containing data about your drivers and what devices are supported. You can post it here however I'd suggest querying about it at the actual Blizzard.com forum since they are the makers of the game and the ones which will have a clue about various problems. It's also feedback to them after all you might not be the only person that can't access the game for whatever reason.

[Security?]
    On a more Paranoid from, Have you ran any programs sent to you by someone that also plays WoW?
    I ask this because one of the things you probably don't want to hear and is probably me being paranoid but it's possibly an account hijack. You see if someone gained control of your account and you logged in at the same time it would raise flags, so generating a method to deny you from accessing the account like an "unsupported graphics" message could be done.

What you can do to be on the safe side is log into the account through the website (I'm guessing they have a function for this since I've never tried WoW) and change your password and/or any hints etc. Just to be on the safe side.

[Drivers]
    If you get new drivers I would suggest checking out www.omegadrivers.net, They aren't "Official" drivers but they can give that little extra FPS or at the very least control over your graphics card.

13. draqon Banned Banned

boy she don't need no problems, she ain't lookin for trouble, all she wants is an easy way out

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Was there a WOW patch in that time (working and not working)?

Is your graphics card no longer showing up in device manager? You might be using the on-board graphics chip(which is garbage) if your video card failed and not even know it.

15. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

no, there were no patches over the weekend, they are done on a wednesday!

16. draqon Banned Banned

yo Angel did you follow my suggestions?

17. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

yes i did, and its workingagain so far, thanks draqon!! (((hugs)))

i can now play wow again! so i can lave you poor poeple alone in peace

18. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

WOW is the biggest waste of time in gaming history, endless grinding and selling of random stuff.

Oblivion... now there's a hardcore game.

19. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

shut up!! i love it!

WOW is the biggest selling game for a long time! Oblivion sucks big time!

20. draqon Banned Banned

try EVE

21. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

eve on line!!

my kids played that for about 2 days and got so bored with it!

22. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

lol did you try deleting your WTF and WTB folders? lol jokin, I played wow for a loooong time and that seemed to be the answer to any and all questions by blizzard.

Not sure what the deal could be but i remember someone in out guild had the same issue a while back, not sure how they fixed it though.

23. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

blizzard are hopeless when it comes to things like this! anyway i am getting a new video card tomorrow, a nice new shiny one!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.